“4 girls from Exeter”

Ranked #48 of 86 Hotels in Funchal
Exeter, United Kingdom
“4 girls from Exeter”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We stayed for 5 days in July this year. The accommodation was clean and tidy. Rooms were cleaned every day and we were given clean towels every day. The staff were friendly and even allowed us to use a room for showers after we booked out prior to our evening flight. We walked everywhere into Funchal and the Lido, all about 30 minutes away our average age was 48! Not a problem not even in the heat. We tended to get a taxi back in the evenings but we would walk everyway in the day.Taxi from Lido and Funchal were cheap-6 euros. We all had a back massages at the hotel which was excellent and we would all recommend it, at the beginning of the holiday. The breakfast was plentiful and fresh. For the price it was excellent value and we all stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gwen S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We came up for 4 nights and wished we had spent a bit more to go somewhere else.

The location isn't great, its on a really steep hill (we are in our 20s and found it heavy going). The view is pretty nice though!

Our room....really sucked. It was dark and opening the door (the only way to let light in and heat out) left us with absolutely no privacy - the swimming pool was immediately outside the door and there was even a sun lounger propped against our terrace.

The beds didn't align with the headboards nailed to the wall a meter away.
Our shower head was deliberately left on the floor of the shower by staff because it drips.
The hotel is in a noisy neighbourhood with dogs barking throughout the night and there are even cockerels nearby. Not the hotels fault, but not so relaxing!

We had breakfast and dinner there. The breakfast was the same *every* day - a set amount of breads and jams with one drink. No drinks were included with dinner (which was very bland) and my boyfriend bit into a caterpillar one night.....Really not very good. The staff in the restaurant created a bit of a strange atmosphere. One was constantly having a go at the other and then the other would keep mumbling to himself after.

One of the receptionist guys really didn't seem to want to be there. When we checked out we just got a "thats it, finished" and a hand gesture. No "thank you for your stay, did you enjoy your holiday" or anything...However, there was one receptionist guy that was very friendly and sincere.

If you are just looking for somewhere cheap for 1-2 nights and plan to be out a lot, then this place might be ok. If you're looking for more of a base for your holiday definitely go somewhere else!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ExplorerFromBath

Travellers are raving about these Funchal hotels

surrey, uk
Reviewed 12 June 2013

When we got to comacho, we were dissapointed with the hotel and its location .we were left waiting to go in the room, this was a mismatch of decoration, the pool was just a kids pool.the comacho is more than 30 to 50. Minutes from the town centre.there was no resturants near by.we would not stay there again.this is ideal for people who like walking.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Having previously stayed in a hotel in the Old Quarter we found this hotel to be miles from anything really worth seeing. It's surrounded by hundreds of other hotels almost segregated from the best parts of Funchal. There's plenty of places to eat in the area but you pay more here than in the old quarter and the food isn't nearly as nice.
The hotel itself has been dragged from the 70's with gaudy paint schemes and dated decoration. The room was neat and tidy, the beds very comfortable but the bathroom continually stank of sewers and the shower head holder was broken.
There's a pool but it's no more than a paddling pool really though it's kept spotlessly clean like the rest of the hotel.
The service was pretty impeccable and it's the reason I rated it average rather than poor. The maids are a smiling, friendly lot who I found to be most accommodating.
Being used to hostel prices this place wasn't cheap although it wasn't likely to break the bank either and there is a breakfast included. The breakfast though consists of a few slices of ham, cheese and a variety of bread; nothing to write home about really.
The hotel are happy to let you leave your bags behind when you check out but this does mean leaving them on display in reception, so I'm not sure how secure they really are.
On the scale of things I would expect a little more from the hotel given the price.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank I_am_de_La_Condamine
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 March 2013

We stopped for 3 nights on half board from 23rd March and found this hotel to be excellent value for money. The bedroom was basic but clean. There were 4 electrical sockets and the room had a small balcony with table and chairs. The food was extremely good for a two star hotel and the manager and staff were all very courteous and helpful.
We have stopped in many different hotels in Madeira over the years and feel in a good position to compare relative pros and cons. Is it on a par with the Cliff Bay? Of course not ! but would I rather spend 5 nights at Vila Camacho half board or one night at the Cliff Bay (which costs the same) then we would have to say this wins hands down and that is no disrespect to the Cliff Bay where we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
We would struggle to come up with a better value half board option hotel in Madeira than this one and we would 100% stop here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lorriejinx
Nottingham
Reviewed 26 February 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice now, each time was just a 3 day short visit. If you are visiting Madeira to visit fiends like me then this hotel is ideal if you don't mind walking, as it is a twenty minute walk to the town center.
Personally I would not choose it if I did not have car rental each time as the walk is up and down some steep hillsides, although there is a regular bus service that stops just at the bottom of the hotel steps.
On arrival I was offered the room upgrade the second time which I took, but looking back I would not have bothered, as the evening meal which was included in the deal was not what I would call sufficient. The first evening I choose steak and chips, and that is all I got.
A small steak with some chips no salad, no veg. So I didn't dine there again until I left.
The breakfasts are fine, and if you stay away from from running up a bar bill, which can be an expensive lesson that I learned on my first visit, but please bare in mind that the owners have to make some money somewhere so I did not mind a bill for 20 euros for 3 drinks.
To sum up
It is clean
The staff are helpful and friendly
It is very cheap if you stick to just your room and breakfast.
An ideal hotel for anyone on a budget

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I've read the reviews about the offer of an upgrade as soon as you get there and it's all true. You are shown the "dungeon" rooms, if you book a room without a balcony. They offer you half board and a balcony room for an extra 90 euros each.....nah, that would double the price of a week's holiday.
The hotel is absolutely fine. Clean, continental breakfast, efficient staff. Friendly unless you have a problem, when they can change from cheeky chappy to argumentative in a second.
Drink prices expensive. 33 cl bottle of beer = 3 euros (£6 a pint).
Don't believe the prices on the drinks menu (ie Short = 4.50 euros plus 1 euro for a mixer). In reality it's 4.50 plus 1.95 for a mixer (6.45 euros for a gin and tonic). On querying it I was told that it was last year's prices and they hadn't updated them. They also advertise the beer as being 40 cl, not 33.
Just small gripes, really, but it all adds up over the week.
Do NOT accept the offer of a litre water bottle when you arrive in your room on booking in. Unless you wish to be presented with a bill for 2.10 euros at the end of your holiday. I presumed it was 'gratis' after half a day flying out there. I refused my bottle (as water is for wimps) but my partner took hers. We were still presented with a bill for 4.20 at the end. Again, no drama, but it starts to grate after a week.
To sum up, a nice value hotel, but a little far out of town for a gentle walk or frequent bus services compared to down town Funchal. (To be fair, they have a Sunday service which my home town doesn't have.)
Give it a go and see what you think.
Mr Bond.

Room Tip: Front facing balconies lose sun early afternoon. Back balconies face the neighbours. Dungeon rooms...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple