“Top Class Hotel”

Ranked #49 of 87 Hotels in Funchal
Lancashire
“Top Class Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

I went to Vila Camacho with my husband for my 60th birthday. I was amazed at how hard working the staff were and help to make your stay enjoyable. Our room was simply furnished but contained everything we needed. The beds were extremely comfortable and linen changed regularly.
We dined every night in their restaurant. The food was exceptional - probably the best we have ever tasted. Miguel certainly knows how to cook! Meals were not expensive.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2010

nice wee hotel,basic but very clean.manager tries to get you to upgrade to room with balcony for 150 euros.say no and try and get room 46 standard room with sea view for no extra.breakfast ok.fruit and rols n cheese n meat.watch out for the slick trick they play with giving you 2 bottles of water when you first get to your room,but when you check out you see them on the bill.charging 2 euros for a bottle.they do good deals on the meals at night,either 1 gets a main course free or 3 courses for 11 euros.overall worth the money.pleasant staff nice location

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fras65
somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2010

fantastic room lovely views and very friendly staff the balcony view we had was fantastic and great for gin and tonics would definantly recomend to all and would myself go there again a big thanks to the hotel for making our stay so pleasureable.

Rotherham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2010

I booked this holiday at fairly short notice having seen it advertised in a travel agent's window. I paid £220 per person for my wife and I, for a week's bed & breakfast. At the time of booking I stated that I would like a twin room (as opposed to double) and would like a balcony/terrace in the 'any special requests' section of the booking form. The hotel is on a hillside road about a mile from the centre of Funchal.You can walk into the town centre or get a local bus.On arrival we were shown to our room which was a double. I immediately stated that I had asked for a twin and was then taken to another room which was indeed a twin room. There was no balcony but before I had the chance to mention this I was asked if I would like to see one of their 'special' rooms which had balconies with sea views. I must admit it was a wonderful view and while I was in the room the telephone rang.......it was the manager on reception asking if I liked the room with the sea view. When I said I did, he said it would be 150 euros for the week to upgrade. He also said I could upgrade from B&B to add evening meal for 9.50 euros per person per night. Given that evening meal was 3 courses and some of the main courses were 12 euros, the meal upgrade seemed very reasonable. He said he would do both upgrades for 285 euros but I offered to pay 250 and he agreed, even throwing in a bottle of 'champagne'. There are only 6 rooms at the front which enjoy these views so I can see why the hotel add a premium for them but 150 euros seems a bit steep even though the view is excellent. The room was basically furnished but clean. The bathroom had a shower, the curtain always seemed to stick to you, which was a bit of a pain, but always plenty of hot water. I never used the small, unheated pool but it didn't look all that inviting. There was a small massage room but the prices of the individual treatments seemd expensive to me. The The breakfast was the usual continental one i.e. bread, fruit, cheese, ham, salami and cakes. The evening meal involved a choice of starter, main and dessert with quite a wide choice. The food was of a fairly high standard and most enjoyable, good value for the 9.50 euros upgrade. House wine was 12 euros a bottle and went down well with the meal. Meals could be taken in the (small) dining room or on the open air terrace but most nights it was a bit cool for dining 'al fresco'. The one thing this hotel lacks in a bar lounge....you can have a drink on the terrace but it was sometimes too cool to sit outdoors. The small TV lounge was not particularly comfortable and had no bar. In warmer months than January this would be less of an issue. Also, even though Madeira has a mild year-round climate,the hotel does not appear to have any backup heating for cooler evenings. The service of meals and drinks was always efficient. To sum up : Plus points - clean but basic rooms, friendly staff, pretty good food. Minus points - rooms without balcony were cramped, no bar lounge, no evident heating, basic bathroom facilities. This was my first time in Madeira, I will definitely return and would probably stay at Vila Camacho again as, above all else, it offers value for money if you are on a budget.

3 Thank YorkieRotherham
Salford,Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2010

We took room 18 after taking up the special offer, this tiny but comfy room had a balcony , a wonderful picture postcard view over funchal and the harbour and was sunlit all day!
Most guests seemed to be those who left early morning to walk or explore the mountains and amazing countryside; returing in the evening to enjoy wonderful homecooked exceptional food ( without having to queue at an overblown tasteless buffet).
To be honest, the air is so clean that after a days walking or relaxing we were happy to enjoy a great meal and bottle of local wine and sit on the balcony and enjoy the view.
I enjoyed a foot massage, at the little wellness centre for 10 euros before settling onto a very comfy outdoor sofa for a decent cup of coffee.
We found this hotel a welcome change from large hotels offering volley ball and piped muisc all day. Certiainly would go again when we need rest and relaxation. Well worth the money! 5 star value at 3 star price...

1 Thank monster-SCR
costal side
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

We just got home from a splendid holiday at Vila Camacho. We loved it very much!
dispite all the negative comments, we enjoyed our stay! Let's not forget this is a 3 star hotel please.
The very attentive staff served us the best dishes (fresh food). We had a little girl (4yrs) with us, and she was very spoiled by the kicthen and restaurant staff.We were happy to order the extras on the breakfast menu...we were on holiday after all.

When leaving early in the morning, it was never a problem to get breakfast.
Staff was always very helpful, friendly and proffesional.
The room (37) was perfect, litlle balcony and sea-view. The pool is small but, never anyone around so it felt like your own private pool.

I can understand that this hotel is not suited for elderly people, but for all those who want to hike in Madeira, regardless the age should manage a few more steps on the stairway to the room.
The hotel is situated in a very peaceful area up the hill in Funchal, so the more busy areas are 10min Lido, Forum Madeira, 15 min old town Funchal port away.
One can take the city bus, or taxi. We rented a car, but this not recommended.
The fee you pay to a taxi is approx. the amount you pay for a parking ticket .
We only have one complaint....it rained 7 days out of 8, so we will be back once more and next to all discribed above we will then also enjoy the sun =-)

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank isamin
Midlands, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

I always look on the positive side and so having read mixed reviews on Vila Camacho I decided to give it a go - wrong decision. I have never written a review before but thought I should for those of you like me who think negative reviews are just from people who like to moan - this is not the case.
Location is on a hill, as is everything in Madeira, a steep downhill 20 minutes walk into Funchal and a 5-10 minute bus ride back. A giro bus pass is good value for 7 days. There is nothing around the hotel at all other than residential properties with very loud barking dogs and one very expensive restaurant.
The views from a five minute walk up the hill are phenomenal and we spent most evenings there sat on a bench looking at the view.
The service is okay - as stated, a little distanced but okay and rooms are cleaned every day however I do have to mention that I was bitten 17 times in the hotel room. We had already moved room due to people walking past and looking directly in and the first time I was bitten (6 times) I asked them to spray the room - they did and the next day I was bitten again ( 6 times) so I asked them again, deciding that we would ask for a move if it happened again. All was well until the last morning when I was bitten 5 more times.
We were in room 9 above the back of the kitchen area somewhere - the noise was dreadful - bottles being thrown into something, bin men collecting at 11pm each night, barking dogs and local residents being loud and passionate in their conversations.
The breakfast was good but monotonous - two weeks of cheese and ham rolls is a little much.
As for relaxing there the eating area is nice, especially of an evening when the lights are on but it is not 'comfy' and there are no comfortable lounging chairs anywhere. We are not pool people and so struggled to relax - hence the bench up the hill.
In brief - noisy, small, not relaxing, out of town up a big hill, big bites as souvenirs! I wouldn't recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Maisy7

Travellers are raving about these Funchal hotels