“Let down”

Ranked #74 of 86 Hotels in Funchal
Norwich
“Let down”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Turned up for our room which was booked in October and confirmed by Booking.com but when we arrived we were told there was a "problem". He sat in our car and directed us to another place where we stayed for the two nights. The place we stayed at was the Residencia Lucitania. This was ok but the beds creaked every time you moved, and the waste bins were directly outside our room - great!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The owner was nice but the bar had no gin after we had ordered one round. Although we only paid a low price, we expected to be where Booking.com had conftmed our room. If there are several agents all renting the same rooms, they need to get their act together to prevent such things happening. We are reasonably experienced travellers, but for someone who is not, this could have been quite a stressful experience.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank JackieandDi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Polish first
Maidstone ,UK
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Be careful. The Melba and Monte Verde are 2 separate hotels on the same site sharing a pool. I have only just read of the politics of the 2 hotels on trip advisor which I didn’t encounter. My hotel the Melbe was a budget hotel with squash for breakfast not juice, but it’s acceptable in a budget establishment. I enjoyed my stay here. Good breakfast, pleasant staff and always smiling. Pool was surprisingly warm especially when I spoke to people in 4 and 5* hotels who had big pools that were cold. Guess big isn’t always best. Room had a little smell from the bathroom but it disappeared when the balcony doors were opened. I could get WI fi internet on my balcony and the room overlooked the sunbeds at the pool, meaning no noise from traffic on the other side of the hotel. Beware of the weather forecast. Madeira has many different types of weather depending where you are. The airport forecast never happened in Funchal while I was there! Has Sky and BBC News and entertainment for repeats of Dads Army and Hallo Hallo, as well as 68 other channels for linguists.
I enjoyed Madeira but not everyone does. A couple remarked to me at a bar ‘It’s all hills and coffin dodgers and you don’t need either at our age. We are 70. We hate this place’ I thought they were right at home. A great place to visit is the Beer House, Madeira’s only brew pub.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Danny100
Wiltshire
Reviewed 2 July 2010

Having stayed elsewhere for the week and just needing one nights BB we chose what we thought was a local guest house (booked via expedia) it turned out to be larger with quite a few rooms. The greeting was somewhat luke warm but ok. The room was very basic but with nice clean linen and towels. Bathroom was adequate and clean with plenty of hot water for showering. The mattress on the bed was very hard and my pillow was like a brick, so not a comfortable nights sleep, also there was some DIY going on in a room along the hall and they chose to still be banging at 11.30pm. There was also some rather loud conversation taking place and a dog barking at about midnight. Breakfast was cornflakes, cheap ham and cheap cheese with a choice of bread. I do feel however that if you want reasonable basic accommodation then this is not bad, you get what you pay for though.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple