“Return”

Ranked #75 of 86 Hotels in Funchal
Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
“Return”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Another wonderful relaxing week and the weather was lovely too!
We like the rooms, they suit us. Many rooms have recently been renovated.
Much of the hotel foyer and 'piano bar' have been renovated and the terrace bar is due for renovation. Large flat screen installed. Free wifi in foyer area very efficient.
The hill is a problem if mobility is an issue but service buses stop at the back entrance at the top of the hill. Excellent breakfast.

Room Tip: If you like to go out in the morning and get back mid afternoon choose a room with a view of the out...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Sue B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Kington
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We took this as an extra sunshine holiday- 2 weeks B&B get 3rd week free room only. We had stayed at the Mimosa before and knew it was 3* and the rooms were small but like having the kitchen in a cupboard. We had a corner room with three beds so it was larger than the 2 bed room we had previously. We were on the east facing side so had a splendid view across Funchal to the cliffs. Although we were on 9th floor the balcony was not vertiginous because we had trees below. Last time we were on the west side and I couldn't sit on the balcony because of the height! Husband wasn't bothered.

Staff were unfailingly polite, cheerful and helpful- our kettle had a leak when we arrived- I left it at reception as we went out for dinner and a new one was at the door when we got back, my husband shattered a plastic bedside lamp shade (mozzie swatting!) and it was replaced within a couple of hours and a broken cup was replaced within 15 minutes, delivered personally by a housekeeper.

The public areas of the hotel are now very smart but the bedroom furnishings are getting tired- our bedspreads were quite faded and the room could do with a coat of paint but thorough cleaning was done every day and linen changes were more frequent than I anticipated. Room tv was small but there were a couple of large flat screens in the lounge and lobby areas.

We enjoyed the use of indoor and outdoor pools and the outdoor pool area is very pleasant. For the first week breakfast was in the Terrace bar by the pool and when it was wet, there was a shortage of inside tables at times. Second week breakfast was in the Estrilicia restaurant where there were many more tables. Breakfast was typical of Portuguese hotels with a good selection. I enjoyed the fresh pineapple and the yoghourt.

We have visited Madeira many times and stayed in a range of hotels. I consider the Mimosa to be good value and I agree with soggy moggy about the precious something.

Room Tip: West side rooms 7-10 on high floors have long drop from small balcony to ground but are sunny East...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank heatherc65
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Our stay was pretty nice, the lady at the receptoin was really polite and nice, but it felt like that the other staff quite fed up with their jobs. The hotel was average or a little bit below, our room smelt like tobacco and we were missing one towel and a fork. The wifi reaches only the lobby and its quite slow, but its free, but it is enough to check your email. Overall it felt like a budget hotel. Ps: they have about eight cats here that you can feed and pet.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Diana_Lind
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

*You could skip this and go straight to the bottom for our opinion in short,
Asked by staff if we would move down to sister Hotel from the one booked, at bottom of steep hill. Which we did assuming this would be better for my wife who has mobility problems. Found the room was very tired with worn carpet and wooden flooring ( a very cheap flooring for heavy hotel use.) Room was also dirty in the kitchen (on the cooker hood,which we assumed the cleaners could not see if they were short)
The bathroom sink plug (plunger type) did not work as the mechanism was broken, so had to get on knees under sink to empty it. Could not run the bath as the tap/shower mechanism kept going back to shower head spraying the bathroom with water. Tried the evening meal in the lower hotel which was brought to you by waiters. Only two choices of food, a meat dish or a fish dish. Both of which were brought to us but we could not eat either of them. They tried to charge us for the evening meal until we pointed out we were half board. I had asked for a bottle of the house white which we were charged 17:50 euros only to find out later the house white was only 14:50 euros. We asked to be moved back to our original room the next day only to be told we had to wait until 12am for out original room to be ready, even though it had never been used anyway. Then told that the staff would transfer our luggage up to the first hotel as a "favour". Shown our original room, which we were happy with until we saw it did not have a plug at all. Asked at reception for a plug and was told they did not supply them,even though this was a brand new sink. I then asked for a room with a bathroom that worked, at which stage the Jet 2 rep became involved. We were then grudgingly given the keys to a room that was what should be expected even in a three star hotel. In the room we ended up in the toilet would not flush at all sometimes. Some of the public area carpets are filthy especially some of the stair carpets.
The Hotel position is also difficult for anyone with walking issues as there is no lift from the road up to the upper parts of the complex unlike other hotels we have stayed in, in Madeira.
Here in the Mimosa the food got better as the week went on. The food is aimed at our continental cousins. i.e cheese and meat with rolls. The English breakfast appeared in parts over the week. i.e. bacon and beans one day, mushrooms and eggs another day, chirizo sausage and scrambled egg another. one.
We had the same problem with trying to prove we were entitled to half board, probably because the reception staff had not bothered to alter our details once we had moved the first time. Apart from one particular young lady receptionist the staff did try very hard to make things run well. Another bright point is that the beer prices are on a par with local bars and not the usually marked up hotel prices.
The evening entertainment was not very entertaining at all. A couple doing ball room dancing in fromt of you, also some snakes were produced as a show another night, also some parrots/birds were shown on one other night.
We asked if we needed to book the curtesy bus and was told no. Tried to get on the following morning but it arrived nearly full from other hotels. At least 20 people were turned away. My wife was on crutches so we had to take a taxi into town. The following day when we waited until later in the day to take the curtesy bus it dropped us off at the port not the town, which when measured is only just over the halfway point to the old town. We noticed other curtesy buses from other hotels dropping off in the central area..
The message left by our rep telling us of our pickup arrangements was not delivered to our room. Spoke to Carmo the jet 2 rep who insisted she had brought them to the hotel.Had to explain to the young (now getting very annoying) receptionist that the only message we recieved was a cancellation notice for an island tour we had booked. At all times i kept my cool even when faced with issues and staff who are in the wrong profession.
In short if you are considering this hotel, please pay a little more and go to any Pestana Hotel and have a very good holiday on a wonderful island with wonderful people.. The Mimosa and what we saw of the two sister hotels should be avoided in our humble opinion.

Room Tip: Insist on looking at other rooms if the one you are offered is not up to standard.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Alan W

Travellers are raving about these Funchal hotels

Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I take long-stay winter sun breaks to avoid the UK’s cold weather and I have thoroughly enjoyed Madeira’s warmth and sunshine and being well looked after at the Mimosa. I cannot agree with the previous reviewer that this hotel comprises ‘average accommodation.’ Of course, it isn’t luxury accommodation – in which connection, the 3-star rating must surely act as a guide when booking. To me, this hotel possesses a precious something for which I always hope but frequently don’t get and I will definitely return if the opportunity presents. In a nutshell, nearly all irritations and potential stresses were relatively minor and I may not blame the hotel for the one that wasn’t - catching a virulent cold. I realise I was lucky. At one stage, noise was a problem at the then busy Estrelicia next door and I was relieved I avoided noise nuisance, except in the lobby when music sometimes blared out, very annoyingly when I wished to access the Internet. (We are all different; the muzak bothered me whereas I barely noticed the barking dogs.)

The wi-fi connection was generally fine, certainly adequate to my e-mailing and skypeing needs. I used my own laptop but the lobby area does boast a computer where guests can e-mail without charge. There is also a mini-library and this included enough books in English to keep me going. The reception staff and other frontline personnel I encountered were uniformly friendly right down to the man seeing to repairs. (I didn’t notice a lack of maintenance.) Staff always looked smart. More than anything else, I was delighted to find that the chambermaids and housekeeping staff were honest! The other guests – German and Scandinavian latterly but mainly French a lot of the time – were courteous and polite, sometimes kind and helpful.

Meals are an important aspect of my holiday. For me at least, the food in the restaurant was good, often excellent, there being but a single evening meal that I really didn’t enjoy. Partway through my stay, however, the restaurant was closed (due to low numbers according to a receptionist, although another guest told me the restaurant was being renovated). Guests were obliged to eat in the Terrace Bar - and the hotel’s website at www.dorisol.com/dorisol-mimosa/restaurants.html describes the Terrace Bar as somewhere to obtain “snacks or light meals,” whereas the Europa Restaurant is described as the place serving “cuisine for our half-board guests” (this being what I booked for). Basically, there were often too many people for the Terrace Bar’s available space. Although I could see that the staff were doing their best and this helped me stay upbeat about the situation, I was sufficiently uncomfortable I arrived, ate, and left as quickly as possible – and other of the English guests chose to go elsewhere to eat.

English people do eat yoghourt for breakfast; it’s classed as a superfood nowadays. I found the plain yoghourt very nice with either honey or a locally-grown banana. I ignored the cooked meats and cheese, not because I consider these a ‘continental’ choice as opposed to what the English eat, but because processed foods are not my thing. The orange and tropical juices were too sweet for me, so I stuck with tomato. The cooks worked hard to provide decent cooked breakfasts; the scrambled eggs were usually soft and the yolks of the fried eggs runny. The only breakfast item I found to complain of was the baked beans, which were tepid. Although standards became a bit more hit-and-miss in the Terrace Bar, a real positive is that food which was meant to be hot was usually hot and a lot better than with most serve-yourself buffets. I did not acquire any of the norovirus-type symptoms referable to hotel buffets!

At night, the system whereby one helps oneself to soup and salad then is served with a main course was not in operation during my stay. My main concern was that fish found its way into many of the dishes, from soup and the salads to rice dishes. What I thought was chicken turned out to be octopus and fish tends to make me ill so I couldn’t eat it. The only night I felt queasy was after eating a small amount of fish that had been added to the rice. Its presence wasn’t apparent when I put the rice on my plate. I would certainly have found suitable labels helpful.

It wasn’t a problem that meals were repeated, as this let me know what to avoid when a dish hiding fish appeared again, as well as what to look forward to seeing the following week. In any case, the repetitions were not strict repetitions, thereby ensuring a reasonable variety. Some of the desserts were ordinary but a few were amazing – the ice cream gateaux, for instance, that I would have liked to have seen more of. Unfortunately, with the changeover to the Terrace Bar, exciting puddings became a past memory.

After 13+ hours of travelling to reach the Mimosa I eagerly accepted a bottle of water and a carafe of house wine at my first evening meal. However, a price list was nowhere on display, neither inside nor outside the restaurant nor in the Dorisol Hotels’ guidebook provided in the room. Even the receipt did not show a price. The lack caused me to do without wine as I did not want to end up with a bill I couldn’t pay. The spa, on the other hand, kindly gave me a printed price list without being asked. I used the indoor pool most days and found it clean, inviting and usually peaceful. Again I was lucky in that it was quiet more often than not, with only one or two others swimming; in my opinion it isn’t big enough to accommodate those who want to swim in peace and those who want to play.

My pleasant room contained everything I needed. I took along a rubber mat for inside the bath and didn’t need it as the bath turned out to have a non-slip surface. (Well done, Mimosa: I wish all hotels were as aware.) I found the mini-kitchen a great asset. The provision of utensils was extensive, to include wine glasses and a corkscrew, a sharp knife, a large microwave-safe basin and even a coffee filter (complete with filter papers) and a lemon juicer. The only missing essential was a tin opener. When it came to that absolute necessity – hot drinks – I was glad of another reviewer’s advice to take a mug along as the cups provided are small. An Information Sheet I received on arrival warned that the tap water is quite high in mineral content and may cause an upset stomach. In fact, I thoroughly boiled tap water for tea, coffee and cuppa soups and experienced no problems with it.

No cloth to clean up any spills is provided, so it’s a good idea to pack a couple of wipes or a J-cloth. Another tip is to bring a length of clothesline to string diagonally across the balcony, plus a few pegs. Having watched a chambermaid clean balcony rails, a couple of days later I noticed pigeon dung – meaning the rails are not the best place for drying one’s cozzie or smalls.

As for the infamous hill, it was the walk down that got me; nevertheless, the slope wasn’t the huge problem some reviewers suggest. The small shop in the Dorisol Buganvilia at the entrance to the complex sells bottled water, some booze and soft drinks and postcards. There is also a Spar just along Rua da Casa Branca (turn right when leaving the complex). However, these shops shut in the afternoon from lunchtime, opening again at teatime, and close from 12.30/1p.m. on Saturday, until Monday. (Seemingly, main shopping centres keep similar hours to their UK equivalents.)

I took one of the organised panoramic tours and despite finding the packed mini-bus really uncomfortable, I was delighted by what I saw of the island, where an abundance of fruit, vegetables and flowers are cultivated – sometimes on cliff edge plots so steep it must take nerves of steel to work them. Even the land belonging to the hotel sports avocadoes and bananas. Other guests at the hotel were clearly equipped to hike. They may have hired cars but there are buses from Funchal bus station that go into the mountains. A sightseeing bus for Funchal itself can be caught near to the Dorisol complex by turning right and proceeding down Rua da Casa Branca; the sightseeing bus stops just across Estrada Monumental. An all-day ticket currently costs 12 euros (although a 2-for1 offer is available currently
I opted for a room on the eastern side of the hotel because of the view and in fact never tired of this view over Funchal and the mountains behind, as well as the sea and Deserters (offshore islands). The balconies on the eastern side get the sun in the mornings – and I certainly found a morning of sunbathing to be enough.

WARNING: The fly in the ointment was literally that. To quote from information provided by my rep:
“With a subtropical climate mosquitoes are to be expected in Madeira. We recommend the use of repellent that you can buy at any chemist. The Health Authorities in Madeira have recently reported cases of dengue fever. You are advised to take precautions to avoid mosquito bites and to consult a doctor if you develop symptoms. Dengue is transmitted by a daytime mosquito and consequently protective measures must be applied during the day.”
I was unaware of the situation prior to travel and after speaking with fellow English guests, who told me they had been holidaying in Madeira for the past five years and that this was the first time they had experienced mossie bites, it strikes me as likely a lot of people don’t realise there’s an issue.

The bites are painful and itchy. I tried to minimise the problem by keeping my balcony door shut at nights, which meant a hot room. The requested fan helped and I further managed by sleeping with only a sheet over me for the whole holiday. After all, I was achieving my objective of escaping the cold!

This was my first holiday with Mercury Direct and I must say I was very impressed with their service, from booking to transfers, as well as with my efficient but kind rep (from local travel company Windsor). I also found the easyJet staff very helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Soggy_Moggy
Olomouc, Czech Republic
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The accommodation quality corresponds to the price. The rooms was clean with small kitchen.The breakfast was OK but with small selection of food. There is WIFI in the reception and also around the swimming pool witch is situated next to the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jrumanek
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2013

we stayed in this hotel for 8 days, didn't book any meals, just accommodation. The room had a little kitchen with microwave where you can cook easy meals with no need to have lunch or dinner out every day. We were happy with the room. There is WIFI available in the reception and swimming pool areas, but it would be nice to have it in the bedroom too. The staff were helpful at all times. Only thing to consider, the hotel is on top of a hill which can be a painful way up for some people or after a long day when you come back tired to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple