“All inclusive holiday which is really all inclusive.”

Enotel Lido Madeira
Ranked #21 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I cannot fault the Entotel Lido Hotel. Our room was spacious and comfortable with a large bed, shower and bath. The staff were very friendly and obliging.
The food and drink were exceptional. The variety of food, its presentation and quality were all good.
We ate in each of the 3 speciality restaurant and they were entertaining, good quality and had a good atmosphere.
The all inclusive meant 'all inclusive'. There were no time limits to food service, all drinks including the branded spirits were included and the 3 speciality restaurants had no restrictions on them.

Room Tip: It is worth paying for a room with a sea or pool view, not a side room which face the roadand are sm...
4  Thank DurhamNorthernlass
EnotelHandR, Gerente geral at Enotel Lido Madeira, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your nice comments and we are glad to know that your expectations have generally been fulfilled.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your opinion, for it is very important to us. We can assure you that we will continue to do our best in order to guarantee the high quality of service at the Enotel Lido, which you may witness in the near future.

“Muito Obrigado” for your co-operation and we would like to take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Luis Guimarães

Write a ReviewReviews (2,670)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

A beautiful hotel made special by the wonderful staff! The saga rep, Gareth Harding, was fantastic! Fantastic terrace room right by the pool.
WiFi is now free, however, would be a lot better if you didn't have to go and get a new password every day!!
Guest relations let the hotel down though! A cleaner had accidentally got bleach on one of my tops and the trouble I had to sort it out (unsuccessfully) was a nightmare!
I also felt a bit like a tourist in Blackpool having to wear my blue hospital tag for two weeks, especially when visiting my the high class Reid's hotel!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Tamara C
EnotelHandR, Gerente geral at Enotel Lido Madeira, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Firstly we would like to thank you for taking your time to give us your opinion regarding our Hotel services as it can always help us to improve.
We regret that your top was accidentally bleached but this matter was duly resolved during your stay with your agreement.
We can assure you that we will nevertheless continue to do our best in order to provide our Clients with a quality service, which you may witness in your next visit to the Enotel Lido Hotel.

We are pleased for your co-operation and would like to take this opportunity to send you our best regards.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I do not usually take too much notice of comments on Tripadvisor they are after all only other peoples views and we all have different ideas but I still like to read them. After we booked our holiday at the Enotel I noticed a few negative comments about the food even the brochure only rated it around 73% for the food but my wife and I went with an open mind determined we would make the most of it. Although the hotel states 5 Star rating , by English standards and in the brochure it is rated 4 Star plus. The first thing that struck me on arrival was no welcome drink on a tray for us but this was quickly forgotten once we got to the reception desk and were met by very friendly staff. Our room was on the sixth floor facing the pool with the sea to the side. It was a lovely spacious room with a Queen sized bed with sheets and a summer weight duvet much easier to change each day. My only complaint was the lumpy pillows not like my feather ones at home I m afraid. There was ample storage space, a lovely big well equipped bathroom and a free safe. There were no tea making facilities but once we asked at reception a kettle and cups were quickly brought to our room. Everywhere was spotlessly clean and the decor was very pleasant and modern. The only thing I did not like was the balconies which were painted with very dark grey emulsion paint and looked a bit depressing Think cream would have looked better. We found the food better than we expected , there was not a great selection but what was there was well cooked and presentation was excellent. Someone a bit picky might struggle but there were other restaurants , Italian , Japanese and a Madeira one where you could go once during your holiday. There is also a lovely informal restaurant by the pool and at lunch time offers things like pizza amongst others. The outside space is somewhat limited but they have made the most of it. The sun loungers are quite close together and it's not everyone who likes being on a lounger so close to the next person especially if they are chatting away and you want peace and quiet. The pool is good and clean and the water not cold. What is nice is not seeing towels out on them at the crack of dawn as there are plenty . Everywhere is hosed down chairs and all sometimes as late as 9 30 so any towels would get wet. When we were there there was a large percentage of elderly people and what is wrong with this ? They are entitled to a holiday and often quite funny and pleasant to talk to. I would rather have them as holiday companions than noisy inconsiderate guests who show no consideration for other guests. Children are quite a rare sight as there is not much for them to do here. The entertainment is varied but acts do not seem to be on for long. I was not keen on the piano player who played in the bar though some liked him , again personal choice. The brochure states it is a 10 to 15 minute walk into Funchal and an extra 5 minutes to old town , well you would have to be pretty quick to do that . It is considered a fit person could do it in 30 minutes , we did it in 40 but don t forget Funchal is noted for its hills and it is all hills up coming back . Better to take a bus or taxi but be careful as taxi fares vary. All in all a lovely hotel if you want a quiet relaxing holiday with friendly staff around. We would certainly come back.

Room Tip: Choose high rise pool facing we were on the 6th floor .
3  Thank sunny186424

Dear Guest,

We are glad to know that your expectations have overall been fulfilled.

We would like to thank you for sharing your opinion and we can assure you that we will continue to do our best in order to guarantee the high quality of service at Enotel Lido Madeira.

Kind regards,

Luís Guimarães

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel in June 2014 for 11 nights. The hotel was very good and very clean. The hotel staff could not be more polite, helpful or friendly. I have never been to a more friendly place. The food was good and the drinks were named brands of spirits and not cheap stuff. I would certainly recommend this hotel for a quiet relaxing holiday. I would not say it was an ideal hotel for families with young children as it caters more for the elderly. The only "slight" complaint I had was the bed was a bit hard for my poor old back, but if I ever go back to Madeira I would pick this hotel without doubt.

4  Thank brianuk
EnotelHandR, Gerente geral at Enotel Lido Madeira, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your nice comments and we are extremely pleased to know that you have enjoyed your holiday at the ENOTEL LIDO Madeira.

We thank you for sharing your opinion with us and we can assure you that we will continue to do our best in order to guarantee a quality service to our guests.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I've stayed during my honey moon in Madeira Island and was very good.
The hotel staff were always finding a way to you feel at your own home.
It's very clean and the spa in the hotel may provides a relaxing moment as well.
The restaurants inside the hotel offer you a great variety of food and drinks.
Definitely I recommend!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Christian_Furlan1
EnotelHandR, Gerente geral at Enotel Lido Madeira, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your opinion, for it is very important to us. We can assure you that we will continue to do our best in order to guarantee the high quality of service at the Enotel Lido, which you may witness in the near future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just had a wonderful stay at the Enotel Lido Madeira. We were lucky enough to get a 1-bedroom apartment through Interval International (we are timeshare owners elsewhere), which I think might be uncommon as there are only 23 and they seldom come up for exchange. These have proper kitchens: full size cooker, dishwasher, fridge-freezer. We generally depend on this as we're vegetarian and often prefer to cook in half the time on holiday through lack of veggie variety. Needn't have worried here - we were so pleasantly surprised by restaurants offering veggie options (in the plural) and some even suggesting they'd make us veggie versions of other dishes quite happily. We were not obliged to be All-Inclusive at the Enotel, presumably only because we were in the 'timeshare' units, but we could have paid extra to do so. Cannot therefore comment on the hotel food. Anyway, eating out and about was extremely good value, better than UK and better than Spain last time we went.

We were delighted with the apartment; spacious and full-on sea view from high in the centre of the U shape hotel. Balcony across the living/dining room plus the bedroom, so probably some 25 feet wide. However, the sun never shone right on it as there's a ceiling over it as it were. Very good housekeeping service. Big bathroom with nice bathrobes. Jacuzzi in the bath. We never once had any noise nuisance, even though this was half term week - not actually many kids here.

The hotel has been generous with lounges and relaxing areas, which are very attractive. There seem to be enough sun-loungers outside for everyone, pool towels are provided free on a sensible ticket system. The indoor pool was warm and at lunchtimes we had it to ourselves. They were not, during our stay at least (May/Jun '14), enforcing any swimming cap rule.

So, the Lido area of Funchal: pretty, scenic, lots of restaurants, and hilly. Very. Put it this way - on checking in at ground level on the inland side of the hotel we were advised our room was on the 10th floor, so just take the lift up four floors. Huh? Yes, reception is in fact 6 floors up from ground level pool/sea side. Of course, everywhere in Madiera is this hilly as far as I can tell. Do watch where you tread too - pavements & promenades full of missing and uneven slabs... To get to the Forum shopping centre, head west, which is left if you emerge from reception (quickest route) or right if you're downstairs facing the sea (hillier but pretty route). Comfortably walkable.

Bus stop outside the next door Pestana hotel, 1.95 euros fare into Funchal town/marina. The taxi drivers say 7 euros, but readily drop to 5 or 6 to pry you away from the bus stop. Try to include some sort of boat trip (typically 25 to 30 euro per person) during your stay - we did the Santa Maria and loved it.

Thank you so much Enotel Lido, and Madeira - we'll be back

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Angie G
EnotelHandR, Gerente geral at Enotel Lido Madeira, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Dear Guest,

We are glad to know that your expectations have overall been fulfilled.

Kind regards,

Luís Guimarães

Reviewed 8 June 2014

My family & I spent a week here over half term. We have two children aged 8 & 5 years & I was so concerned that we'd made a big error by booking Madeira as it's not targeted for the 'family' market. The weather was very overcast & quite cold for our first 3 days so we couldn't sit outside. We were very grateful for the indoor pool which was a lovely warm temperature & my kids absolutely loved it. I'd booked a junior suite & we were allocated room 766 which was HUGE!! It has a very spacious lounge with a sofa & 2 armchairs & 2 'camp like' beds were added for our children. In addition there's a separate bedroom with a superking size bed & once again ample space. It's definitely a suite as opposed to a junior suite. For the price we paid I really was chuffed & amazed at this room as this type of accommodation in a 5 star hotel would normally set you back a few thousand pounds!! My only gripe is that the camp style beds may not be suitable for older children but for ours they were fine. Also, this is the first 4/5 star hotel I've been to that did not have a facility of an iron to loan to their guests! I was gobsmacked when I was told this. I had ironed my clothes in advance but some of my husbands cotton shirts had crinkled in the suitcase. We were told by reception that we'd need to send the items to the laundry department (obviously at a cost) I felt that this was poor & not something I would expect for a hotel classed as 5 stars!

The food was excellent & the staff throughout the hotel were very attentive & friendly. When you walk into the dining room the head waiter needs to seat you at a suitable table. I felt this system was very hit & miss. You could either walk in & be seated immediately but on other occasions when the restaurant was somewhat busier you could stand & linger for ages whilst everybody seemed to ignore you. My advice would be to have a stand at the doorway where the head waiter greeted you & seated you. I feel this would streamline the whole process & make guests feel more comfortable rather than walking around awkwardly trying to catch somebody's attention.

The hotel definitely appeals to the older client. There are large groups mainly French & Scandinavian.This is the first time I've ever come across groups of rowdy pensioners but I spotted quite a few here. They'd just shove you out the way to get to the buffet first. We found it hilarious! In our week I'd say there were probably 10 children in the entire hotel. But it was fine as all the children seemed to make friends & got on really well.

I'm not sure what other people meant by 'branded drinks' I asked for a Baileys & got a very poor substitute which I didn't drink. The gin & tonic was also not possible to drink as it was far too strong. The cocktails were pre-made & poured from a bottle. Again, unfortunately they weren't for me. Potent & too strong. The Sangria was very nice though :)

All in all I would recommend Madeira & the Enotel Lido

Room Tip: Take your own iron!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family