My wife and I spent two weeks at this resort in November in a studio apartment, and were delighted on just about every level.
The resort is situated ideally. It stands adjacent to the sea yet within an easy walk of Funchal town centre, and it appears that all rooms are sea facing across delightful gardens and swimming pools. We were allocated a room on the second floor, but I am convinced that a room virtually anywhere would prove to be more than acceptable.
We found the staff to be pleasant and graceful in every department, and the cost and standard of food and drinks when purchased carefully to be more than fair for a five star establishment.
Sadly, we detected that the hotel services such as restaurant and bars were not well patronised, and this puzzled us, for we thought that the management were trying very hard to deliver value to their customers by selling various discounted meal packages and the like, in addition to extended 'happy hours' in all the bar outlets.
If I was a timeshare owner at this resort, I would be very concerned that in not supporting the useage of these outstanding facilities, the management might conclude it not worthwhile to keep them operating at that level of excellence.
In other words be careful - 'use it or lose it' !
The interior public areas and furnishings are truly delightful - comfortable and relaxing decor and interesting artwork around every corner, and so given the opportunity, we would not hesitate to return to this resort.
We see only two minor negatives...
1. The Old Savoy Hotel gardens. Its sad to see them behind locked gates, clearly going to seed. Although the gardens do not in any way detract from the excellence of the Royal Savoy Resort , we hope the rebuild of that famous old hotel and reinstatement of the gardens will not be long delayed.
2. Strangely, we found all the room towels to be a little thin, and not in tune with the excellence of the other room linens and so on.
This resort is excellent, and deserves its five star rating, and we would say well done to all the management and staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Savoy Hotel is situated in a privileged oceanfront location overlooking the harbour of Funchal. The city's fascinating historic and cultural centre are close by. Funchal's Old Town district, the bustling Marina, beautiful city gardens, Municipal Theatre, city squares adored with outdoor cafes & esplanades, Shopping Centres, Museums and many more interesting places to visit are just a stone's throw away. This Hotel offers 12 spacious standard rooms, 101 junior suites plus 59 superior suites with one or two bedrooms, each elegantly decorated providing the utmost quality and comfort whilst creating a unique exotic atmosphere. All rooms have an ample furnished balcony and enjoy magnificent ocean views. All junior suites have their own kitchenette, sofa bed, refrigerator bar, cable and interactive flat screen TV, DVD player, Internet, electronic room safe and a full bathroom with separate shower, hairdryer and bathrobes. The superior suites have 1 or 2 bedrooms, kitchen, sofa bed, refrigerator bar, interactive cable, flat screen TV, DVD surround sound system, electronic room safe and 2 or 3 bathrooms (master-bathroom equipped with bathtub and separate shower), hair dryer and bathrobes. All rooms have free internet wireless system. This stunning complex is architecturally designed to allow you to appreciate to the full extent the beautiful breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. Enjoy the wide variety of both on-site and off-site leisure facilities and entertainment services, including heated indoor pool; gymnasium; a luxury spa where you can enjoy the free use of the sauna, steam room and tropical shower; games room; hairdresser, free internet wireless system, fine a-la-carte and buffet restaurant, piano bar with nightly live musical entertainment and pool snack bar, 2 outdoor sea-water swimming pools (one heated), jacuzzi, and children's splash pool. We also feature a spacious sundeck and terrace coupled with shady and lush sub-tropical gardens, which are further adorned with a barbecue area, a short seaside promenade, fountains and water cascades, private sea access and outdoor games area - all providing maximum holiday ambience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, ACCOR, Jet2Holidays , Ebookers, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Odigeo, Priceline, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Royal Savoy Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Savoy Funchal
- Savoy Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Funchal
- Royal Savoy Resort Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Madeira/Funchal