This was our second time at the Savoy Resort Hotel, we had stayed at the Classic Savoy about two years ago and used the facilities of the Royal Savoy. This time around we stayed at the Royal and were delighted with our choice.
We travelled with our 4 year old daughter and 9 month old baby girl, the accommodation was good and they provided us with a cot. The kitchenette was also very handy for sterilising bottles and making little snacks. All the staff were very good with regards to service and friendlyness. Word of warning - gentlemen must wear long trousers in the evening to be served around the bar area otherwise they will not serve you.
The swimming pools temperatures are rather odd, from warm to freezing, they are clean and there are plenty of sun loungers to choose from. No need to get them early.
We did find the hotel restaurants rather dull and not great value. We did however find a little restaurant called Casa Penha, which was worth the money. To get to it, use the garden exit from the Classic Savoy, turn right and it is next to a Irish Pub.
If you do want to wander into town, it is about a 10min walk down a steep hill which will lead you into the port, that is from the Royal Savoy exit. The Classic Savoy exit is much prettier and there are gardens you can wander into. La Dolce Vita is the new shopping mall in town.
All in all, a wonderful relaxing holiday and looking forward to going back. There was a lot of people going on tours with regards to buying timeshare, we never got asked or hassled in any way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Savoy Hotel is situated in a privileged oceanfront location overlooking the harbour of Funchal. The city's fascinating historic and cultural centre are close by. Funchal's Old Town district, the bustling Marina, beautiful city gardens, Municipal Theatre, city squares adored with outdoor cafes & esplanades, Shopping Centres, Museums and many more interesting places to visit are just a stone's throw away. This Hotel offers 12 spacious standard rooms, 101 junior suites plus 59 superior suites with one or two bedrooms, each elegantly decorated providing the utmost quality and comfort whilst creating a unique exotic atmosphere. All rooms have an ample furnished balcony and enjoy magnificent ocean views. All junior suites have their own kitchenette, sofa bed, refrigerator bar, cable and interactive flat screen TV, DVD player, Internet, electronic room safe and a full bathroom with separate shower, hairdryer and bathrobes. The superior suites have 1 or 2 bedrooms, kitchen, sofa bed, refrigerator bar, interactive cable, flat screen TV, DVD surround sound system, electronic room safe and 2 or 3 bathrooms (master-bathroom equipped with bathtub and separate shower), hair dryer and bathrobes. All rooms have free internet wireless system. This stunning complex is architecturally designed to allow you to appreciate to the full extent the beautiful breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. Enjoy the wide variety of both on-site and off-site leisure facilities and entertainment services, including heated indoor pool; gymnasium; a luxury spa where you can enjoy the free use of the sauna, steam room and tropical shower; games room; hairdresser, free internet wireless system, fine a-la-carte and buffet restaurant, piano bar with nightly live musical entertainment and pool snack bar, 2 outdoor sea-water swimming pools (one heated), jacuzzi, and children's splash pool. We also feature a spacious sundeck and terrace coupled with shady and lush sub-tropical gardens, which are further adorned with a barbecue area, a short seaside promenade, fountains and water cascades, private sea access and outdoor games area - all providing maximum holiday ambience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Royal Savoy Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Savoy Funchal
- Savoy Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Funchal
- Royal Savoy Resort Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Madeira/Funchal