We have a timeshare and exchanged our week in orlando for a week in The Royal Savoy Madeira.
When we arrived the doorman took care of our luggage and later brought it up to our room. We went to check in (4 hours early!) and our room was ready within 30mins. The staff all spoke perfect English and were very helpful.
The raccomodation was a 1bed studio style room and was equiped with everything you would need. A plasma TV, Bath and power shower, robes and slipers, lovely king size bed, kitchen fridge and dishwasher, balcony over looking the pool and sea and a safe. What more could you need.
The hotel is situated right on the sea front with amazing veiws. If you walk down the street to the right you come to the dock and then the marina. There you will find lots of restuarants and if you walk up the side streets you will come to the city centre.
The sister hotel The classic Savoy allows you yo use all there facilities and vice versa. If you go to the 9th floor there is a bridge over into the Classis Savoy garden which holds the minature golf, shuffle board, fuseball and a full size snooker table. All free to use.
The bar and restuarant in the Royal Savoy has a dress code which we were a little annoyed at. It was warm in the evenings and the men had to wear long trousers and shirts even in the bar area. If you dont mind this then the price may put you off. It was 40 euros for a dinner buffett each.
We found the best places to eat were just right of the Classic Savoy. If you walk down the little street you will come to lots of nice eataries includng 2 Michalen Guide restuarants which are very reasonable and excellent quality. Our favourite was Casal Da Phenha. the Madeiran Beef Kebabs are a must.
I am a vegetarian and found no difficulty in finding food.
My no.1 must do is swimming in the private sea area in the hotel. Take a snorkle and dont worry if the water feels cold as it gets much warmer in the middle.
If you need any boat trip tickets are anything like that then ask reception and they do it all for you.
Overall we were extreamly pleased with our stay at The Royal Savoy and cant wait to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Savoy Hotel is situated in a privileged oceanfront location overlooking the harbour of Funchal. The city's fascinating historic and cultural centre are close by. Funchal's Old Town district, the bustling Marina, beautiful city gardens, Municipal Theatre, city squares adored with outdoor cafes & esplanades, Shopping Centres, Museums and many more interesting places to visit are just a stone's throw away. This Hotel offers 12 spacious standard rooms, 101 junior suites plus 59 superior suites with one or two bedrooms, each elegantly decorated providing the utmost quality and comfort whilst creating a unique exotic atmosphere. All rooms have an ample furnished balcony and enjoy magnificent ocean views. All junior suites have their own kitchenette, sofa bed, refrigerator bar, cable and interactive flat screen TV, DVD player, Internet, electronic room safe and a full bathroom with separate shower, hairdryer and bathrobes. The superior suites have 1 or 2 bedrooms, kitchen, sofa bed, refrigerator bar, interactive cable, flat screen TV, DVD surround sound system, electronic room safe and 2 or 3 bathrooms (master-bathroom equipped with bathtub and separate shower), hair dryer and bathrobes. All rooms have free internet wireless system. This stunning complex is architecturally designed to allow you to appreciate to the full extent the beautiful breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. Enjoy the wide variety of both on-site and off-site leisure facilities and entertainment services, including heated indoor pool; gymnasium; a luxury spa where you can enjoy the free use of the sauna, steam room and tropical shower; games room; hairdresser, free internet wireless system, fine a-la-carte and buffet restaurant, piano bar with nightly live musical entertainment and pool snack bar, 2 outdoor sea-water swimming pools (one heated), jacuzzi, and children's splash pool. We also feature a spacious sundeck and terrace coupled with shady and lush sub-tropical gardens, which are further adorned with a barbecue area, a short seaside promenade, fountains and water cascades, private sea access and outdoor games area - all providing maximum holiday ambience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Royal Savoy Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Savoy Funchal
- Savoy Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Funchal
- Royal Savoy Resort Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Madeira/Funchal