Just returned from an Interval International timeshare exchange. Although in many ways it did live up to it's "Savoy" reputation in others it did not. eg I arrived around 7pm feeling tired after a long day travelling to be greeted with a cold reception and the statement that the half board vouchers I wished to purchase were no longer available and had been discontinued that day. I showed the receptionist a copy of an email dated three weeks before my arrival which stated that I would be able to buy the half board food package from reception on my arrival. He again repeated that this had been stopped that day and was substituted by a pay up front credit package which went up in increments from 200 to 400 euros etc. I was very annoyed about this and asked why I had not been contacted to inform me of the changes to the system. He asked me if I wished to see the Duty Manager and called her for me. She explained how much better off I was going to be (did not work out that way) under the new system. She talked to the receptionist the whole time in Portuguese which I of course do not understand and in the end agreed with him that I could buy 300euros of food credit. She made some notes on an information sheet on the Portuguese written pages and did not inform me at the time that if I had any credit left at the end of my stay that this would be non returnable. The menu's on their speciality nights still showed a supplement of ex amount of euros for half board guests and the information about the resort shown on the tv did tell you about the new food purchase system but still said that you could buy half board vouchers from reception. Not what one would have expected from an International Hotel chain of such renown.
The waiting, housekeeping and all other staff I encountered could not be praised enough for their professional, pleasant and helpful attitude and service. The usual welcome to the hotel message on the tv actually welcomed a Mr David somebody and not me...I am a female!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Savoy Hotel is situated in a privileged oceanfront location overlooking the harbour of Funchal. The city's fascinating historic and cultural centre are close by. Funchal's Old Town district, the bustling Marina, beautiful city gardens, Municipal Theatre, city squares adored with outdoor cafes & esplanades, Shopping Centres, Museums and many more interesting places to visit are just a stone's throw away. This Hotel offers 12 spacious standard rooms, 101 junior suites plus 59 superior suites with one or two bedrooms, each elegantly decorated providing the utmost quality and comfort whilst creating a unique exotic atmosphere. All rooms have an ample furnished balcony and enjoy magnificent ocean views. All junior suites have their own kitchenette, sofa bed, refrigerator bar, cable and interactive flat screen TV, DVD player, Internet, electronic room safe and a full bathroom with separate shower, hairdryer and bathrobes. The superior suites have 1 or 2 bedrooms, kitchen, sofa bed, refrigerator bar, interactive cable, flat screen TV, DVD surround sound system, electronic room safe and 2 or 3 bathrooms (master-bathroom equipped with bathtub and separate shower), hair dryer and bathrobes. All rooms have free internet wireless system. This stunning complex is architecturally designed to allow you to appreciate to the full extent the beautiful breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. Enjoy the wide variety of both on-site and off-site leisure facilities and entertainment services, including heated indoor pool; gymnasium; a luxury spa where you can enjoy the free use of the sauna, steam room and tropical shower; games room; hairdresser, free internet wireless system, fine a-la-carte and buffet restaurant, piano bar with nightly live musical entertainment and pool snack bar, 2 outdoor sea-water swimming pools (one heated), jacuzzi, and children's splash pool. We also feature a spacious sundeck and terrace coupled with shady and lush sub-tropical gardens, which are further adorned with a barbecue area, a short seaside promenade, fountains and water cascades, private sea access and outdoor games area - all providing maximum holiday ambience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Royal Savoy Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Savoy Funchal
- Savoy Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Funchal
- Royal Savoy Resort Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Madeira/Funchal