We stayed for our second year at the Royal Savoy. Guests are mainly of an age where gentile surroundings are appropriate and seek old fashioned courtesies and excellent service combined with the calm, relaxed, spacious accommodation that is on offer.
This is a very good resort where the food is also of an exceptional standard but at a price although this year they have introduced a three or five day eat in ticket for breakfasy and dinner for about 37 euro per person per day. It is good value if you want to eat in.
Eating out is a pleasure for the palate and the wallet.
The area behind the resort has some splendid restaurants, Don Amelia. Casa Don Velha to name but two.
It is a short stroll downhill yo the old town, you can get a bus back, the buses are regular and inexpensive, walk in the opposite direction towards and past Reids and you pass other large hotels and restaurants arriving at the Lido, carry on walking along the main road and you come very soon to a lovely cafe/bar with a terrace overlooking the sea that is wholesome and inexpensive for Madeira It is called Casbah.
Taxi transfer on arrival is 31 e and you may get a better deal prebooking.
Currently Funchal seems less busy that on ourprevious visits and there are excellent deals on half day or full day trips and even in some restaurants.
A truly relaxing place if that is what you want but with lots to do, walks, gardens to visit, cable car rides, sea trips if you like that but not a holiday place I would recommend for young families
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Royal Savoy Hotel is situated in a privileged oceanfront location overlooking the harbour of Funchal. The city's fascinating historic and cultural centre are close by. Funchal's Old Town district, the bustling Marina, beautiful city gardens, Municipal Theatre, city squares adored with outdoor cafes & esplanades, Shopping Centres, Museums and many more interesting places to visit are just a stone's throw away. This Hotel offers 12 spacious standard rooms, 101 junior suites plus 59 superior suites with one or two bedrooms, each elegantly decorated providing the utmost quality and comfort whilst creating a unique exotic atmosphere. All rooms have an ample furnished balcony and enjoy magnificent ocean views. All junior suites have their own kitchenette, sofa bed, refrigerator bar, cable and interactive flat screen TV, DVD player, Internet, electronic room safe and a full bathroom with separate shower, hairdryer and bathrobes. The superior suites have 1 or 2 bedrooms, kitchen, sofa bed, refrigerator bar, interactive cable, flat screen TV, DVD surround sound system, electronic room safe and 2 or 3 bathrooms (master-bathroom equipped with bathtub and separate shower), hair dryer and bathrobes. All rooms have free internet wireless system. This stunning complex is architecturally designed to allow you to appreciate to the full extent the beautiful breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. Enjoy the wide variety of both on-site and off-site leisure facilities and entertainment services, including heated indoor pool; gymnasium; a luxury spa where you can enjoy the free use of the sauna, steam room and tropical shower; games room; hairdresser, free internet wireless system, fine a-la-carte and buffet restaurant, piano bar with nightly live musical entertainment and pool snack bar, 2 outdoor sea-water swimming pools (one heated), jacuzzi, and children's splash pool. We also feature a spacious sundeck and terrace coupled with shady and lush sub-tropical gardens, which are further adorned with a barbecue area, a short seaside promenade, fountains and water cascades, private sea access and outdoor games area - all providing maximum holiday ambience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Odigeo, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Royal Savoy Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Royal Savoy Funchal
- Savoy Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Funchal
- Royal Savoy Resort Funchal
- Royal Savoy Hotel Madeira/Funchal