We arrived at the Regency Cliff on the night of 29 May at 0130, as arranged; on entering the hotel we were informed by the night porter that there was a problem and that there was no room available for that night. He explained that there had been an overbooking and that we were booked into a different hotel of the same grade. He then ordered a taxi and we arrived to be checked in at about 0230; the booking sheet had us in for the whole week and we had to explain to the person at the desk that we were going back to the Regency Cliff the next morning. Unfortunately, the toilet in the room we were allocated was broken - it would not flush and it drained water noisily all night. It was by now 0300 in the morning and we were not going to ask to change rooms. Also, the hotel itself was large, faceless and exactly the sort of place that we sought to avoid when choosing our holiday.
We returned to the Regency Cliff at about 1030 and met the holiday rep, finally getting to our room at about 1200.
I had made it very clear when we arrived and at the hotel the next morning that we were very unhappy with what had happened and that over booking of this nature was totally unacceptable. At some point during the week we did receive a handwritten apology from the Manager, who said he had taken the cost of an evening meal that we had had in the hotel on our first day, off of our bill.
Apart from the problems of the first night we enjoyed our stay at the Regency Cliff. The room and facilities were very good and the staff were helpful and friendly. The meal we had in the hotel was poor and so we chose not to eat at their restaurant again, although it was obvious that many people were happy doing so.
I did not want to get involved in lodging a formal complaint at the time because I did not want it to spoil our holiday. However, I did resolve to inform our booking agency on our return and to let them know that at the very least we should not be charged for the first night. It is now 6 weeks since I raised my complaint and the Hotel have failed to offer anything. The clear reasons for requesting compensation are obvious: the stress of arriving at 0130 in the morning, being told you did not have a room, having to relocate to a hotel you had not booked, getting to your room at about 0245, not having a functioning toilet, relocating at 0930 the next morning and having to discuss all these issues with hotel and tour staff. I believe that the Hotel Manager was quite correct in apologising and making the gesture of removing the cost of a meal - but I do not accept that this in any way compensates for there not being a room available, nor does it compensate for the disruption and stress that was caused.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Inaugurated in May 2001, Madeira Regency Cliff is a 4 star boutique hotel, just 5 minutes away from the bustling city centre of the capital, offering stunning views over its cliff-top location. This beautiful stylish hotel offers 59 tastefully designed rooms, including 2 suites and 6 Jr. suites.All rooms equipped with cable TV, Flat screens, Air Conditioning, safe, mini-bar (with fee), coffee and tea facilities.Suites and Jr. Suites equipped with coffee machine Nespresso, trouser press and MP3/DVD player.Connecting rooms are also available.Hotel Facilities: Wi.Fi internet access in Lobby and rooms , Fitness room, turkish bath, massage room, heated outdoor and indoor swimming pools, restaurant with possibility to eat outdoor, bar and pool bar.From the hotel there is also a direct access to the Lido Promenade. Shops and restaurants in surrounding areas (Shopping Centre 50metres) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Priceline, Booking.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Madeira Regency Cliff reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Madeira Regency Cliff Hotel Funchal
- Regency Hotel Funchal
- Madeira Regency Cliff Funchal