“Overall good experience - free wifi and Spa treatment improvements to consider”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Porto Mare Hotel

Porto Mare Hotel
Ranked #7 of 87 Hotels in Funchal
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Tui brochure promised a hotel of quality and this we received as many have said before me rooms, food, gardens (especially the orchid garden) and pools are amazing.
A couple of small points to improve would go a long way if actioned tp make it perfect.
1. Wifi free everywhere, come on it is 2014.
2. Spa has levels of manicure/pedicure and for my money a 45 minute pedicure at 45 euros should be just that not 28 mins for 45 euro. They get around this by using "approx" and just asking whether you did have a good experience. Make no mistake the staff are well qualified and professional but for this treatment I would have expected (like in the UK) a little more time spent on the massage aspects it did feel a bit time pressured and hurried, especially when advised to use the quiet room facilities afterwards to let polish dry for more than 2 mins, make myself a drink and relax on a lounger e.g. then you would appear to have been "in the spa" for 45 mins.

Room Tip: Level 5 (highest) best for reducing noise from bar areas but you won't get the sun on the balcon...
3 Thank AY62014
antoniopais, General Manager at Porto Mare Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your holiday experience at Porto Mare hotel.
I have taken good note of your comments mainly about the Spa and will check what went wrong and promise to correct it with my team.

Next time you visit Madeira I would be most pleased to assist you on anything you might need.

ANTONIO PAIS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (577)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Porto mare is a lovely hotel. We stayed in a Junior suite , the room was was great but I was a little disappointed with view as I like to see the sea , you could if you stood up and looked over to the left . We were on the residence side looking directly at another hotel. As we were only staying for 4 nights I chose not to mention it.
I agree that you should not have to pay for safe and I don't like putting a deposit on towels especially as they are not worth that amount !
The grounds are lovely and we enjoyed the pool, very relaxing. I really enjoyed their mojita and happy hour is good at 5pm.
I thought breakfast was good maybe you would get bored after a week but we found it pleasant,they didn't replace much once it got to 10 even though I think it is open to 10.30.
We didn't eat at the hotel as there were so many restaurants around. We particularly like beef and wine about 10 mins from hotel.
All staff at the hotel were friendly and we received a chilled cava for my husbands 50th, would have preferred a nice view !
Would definately recommend porto mare as it is a lovely hotel and it was nice to be away from Funchal but within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank alison p
Dear Guest,

Just a short note to thank you for your recent stay at the Porto Mare hotel and for your thoughts about it.
Happy to learn that in spite of the "little points", overall you had a positive holiday break.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you whenever you decide to visit us.

Muto obrigado,

Camberley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Make no mistake this is a lovely Hotel,but for some reason falls down on the little things.
In the day of Technology when everone wants to keep in touch with home,how can this Hotel justify charging 25 euro a week for wi fi in your room,you can avoid this charge by using wi fi in the reception area but I thought four star meant offering good serice.
Then there are the beach towels another 20 euro deposit for each one,refundable on return,do they really think that there clients would be the type to walk off with thier towels which have probably been used a thousand times.
If you want to use the room safe that another 10 euro for a week plus a additional 20 euro deposit for the key,I quite understand taking a deposit for the key but why charge at all for something that is already there and paid for.
Breakast is fairly good but ask for Poached eggs like I did and wait for 20 minutes,the Chef was just not interested.
The pool area is very nice but as usual spoilt by the few who want the best spots by using there towels to reserve the space,the hotel says is monitors this bad practice but that was not evident.
I did not use any of the resturants for lunch or dinner and heard mixed reports from other guests.
I would suggest a high floor with sea view and book independently rather than using Thomson as some of those guests that did paid consideraly more for less

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Steve1947
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback about you holiday in madeira and really sorry that we did not meet all your needs and expectations.

In order to have minimum control when we run a resort with so many different facilities, services and daily logistics for more than 800 hundred guests, we need staff to support the different activities, we need tools, we need financial support, we need rules.
Unfortunately sometimes we are not capable to do everything 100% and for those mistakes we deeply apologize and will try to do better.

I would be most pleased to assist you on anything you might need for future visits to Madeira

Muito obrigado

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Eight ladies from Aberdeen recently travelled to Madeira and a good time was had hopefully by all.
The Porto Mare Hotel was beautiful, as were the grounds, food and pool area. There was nothing
We could fault at all in the Hotel. Staff were very helpful food very varied and we managed to utilise the dine around option on five occasions. On firework night we dined in the Santa Maria at the Harbour and the manager managed to get everyone up dancing, then kindly invited us all up onto a roof terrace where we had fantastic view of the display and were all given glass of champers. We treated ourselves to high tea and glass fiz at Reids Palace which was a lovely way to spend an afternoon. Funchal with its treelined avenues was a lovely place to have coffee or cocktails and people watch. The fish market was worth a visit where the ugly but tasty scabbard
fish could be viewed. Cable car to Monte is a must gorgeous views and lovely gardens. One of our ladies joined a walking group and climbed up to the Peaks well done Ali. Something for everyone in Madeira. Sun worshipers could lie at the pool and the more adventurous could sight see, shop,
Walk etc. a visit to this island is a must and the Porto Mare comes highly recommended.

Room Tip: The Garden rooms have large outdoor sitting area and overlook beautiful gardens
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Maureen N
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for staying at our hotel and for such a comprehensive review about your recent visit to madeira.

So good to know that you had such a positive holiday experience and profited from the different facilities and services not only of Porto Mare hotel but also from our sister hotel Porto Santa Maria.

We will be most pleased to welcome you in a future visit to our Island.

swindon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

I will not list all the facilities of the hotel and gardens, food, entertainment etc. as they are well documented in other reviews. I will say that I don't know what the reviewers who criticised the breakfast could possibly have wanted that was not available (except perhaps in my husband's case kippers! but he didn't even mention them, there being such a vast selection of everything else) and the bacon on the ten days that we were there was lovely and crispy! Treated myself to a Bucks Fizz via the fizzy wine and fresh orange juice on more than one occasion but I don't think this coloured my view of the food! We also like to eat out in the evenings after a stroll but did view each evening meal and the prices and would have been happy to pay for any of it and those that did sample them were more than happy with the quality and value.

I did not have time to enjoy the spa treatments but noted that the prices were very reasonable, compared well with those in the UK and definitely not raised as in some other hotels. I was able to view the spa facilities and these were top class and the beauticians were lovely friendly young ladies.

Our room was on the third floor overlooking the gardens and sea with balcony which was excellent, the terrace rooms below us were more expensive and the terraces large but nothing more on them than our balcony, to me a large waste of space and a bit embarrassing if you were sitting on your balcony looking down on people on their terrace on sun beds so one had to be a little circumspect. Would definitely recommend a balcony 3rd or 4th floor. Beds huge, comfy and pillows wonderful, my husband would not let me put one in my case! Oh yes the rooms over the bar/dance area could be a little noisy so avoid those.

Charge for safe a bit "off" considering cost of room. Free internet access at reception and lower lounge but would be nice for a "limited" period in room, perhaps even 30 minutes per day would be good, only need to check on family but irritating to have to take Ipad downstairs and then back up again to room before going out, but this is being a bit picky.

Mini bus trips courtesy of Happy Tours were excellent, drivers/tour guides excellent. Good value for money. My husband not a fan of women who drive 4 x 4's and don't know the width of their vehicles but Patricia from Happy Tours has converted him to women drivers!

Nice Saturday evening meal in the harbour waiting for the fireworks, fashion show for 40 mins while eating went down well with both male and female diners. The fireworks entertaining but definitely not spectacular. However all in all a nice social evening.

Afternoon tea at Reid's Hotel the only slight disappointment of the holiday, I enjoyed it for the experience and the tea "very nice" but for 70 euros for two you are certainly paying the premium for the venue. The view okay but in all honesty the view from the terrace no comparison with that at Porto Mare where we could have had the equivalent tea for 30 euros (don't tell my husband!).

The island and its people a delight and Porto Mare Hotel top class! Should rate six stars, have been told that only reason not five star is that Cliff Bay Hotel is owned by same group and Cliff Bay wishes to remain "exclusive". However all the people we met who had stayed at Porto Mare several times were happy in their "inexclusivitiy" and I have to say I agree with them.

Room Tip: See above review
6 Thank jo_marfleet
antoniopais, General Manager at Porto Mare Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Guest,

So good to know that you had such a positive holiday experience in spite of a few minor things that as you stated did not affect the final evaluation of all holiday experience. Yes there is always something that we can do better..

We will be most pleased to welcome you in a future visit to our Island.

Ripon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Been to Madeira before and this hotel was most definitely a huge step up from the one we had previously, even though it was only adding 'one star'. Had higher expectations of what it would be like and they were all met sufficiently.
Firstly, the food was scrumptious, varied and some of the best we have tasted anywhere. I know buffets don't suit everyone but the range and quality of the food was excellent; breakfast and evening meal.
The bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in, in any hotel, and a relief as the previous hotel was like sleeping on a board!
The gardens were lovely in themselves and were one of the considerations when we chose the hotel in the first place. Absolutely loved the flying of the hawk in the gardens too.(Though I don't think the pigeons are really that much bothered by its presence!)
Doubt we will be back to Madeira but would certainly return here. Such a comfortable, well furnished, relaxing place, served well by friendly and helpful staff.
One negative point is that we had our free drink but forgot there were strings attached with the 'time share sell' !! We managed to avoid their chat down in the bar but they then phoned us in our room.

Room Tip: Any room facing the back will give you a wonderful sea view and over the lush, tropical gardens.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank depsp
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for your support by staying with us for the first time.

Thank you also for the positive feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel and happy to learn that you have enjoyed it.

We will be most pleased to welcome you for the second holiday experience.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

We have just returned from our 6th trip to Madeira. The first time was 20 years ago, the last four years being at the Porto Mare, and also the previous year at the Cliff Bay, and we really do consider this to be the very best. This time it was extra special as it was our 50th wedding anniversary and we were upgraded to a beautiful suite, and on the actual day received a bottle of champagne, beautiful flowers, and red rose petals sprinkled all over. What a wonderful touch. A special thank you to our maid, whose name I unfortunately did not get, but it was room 2338. This hotel is unsurpassed in style, cleanliness, quality and facilities. We stay on a B & B basis as we like to eat out, but always take the three meals offered at a special rate, and these are always absolutely excellent. The breakfast to me also is excellent, offering all cereals, fresh fruit, cooked breakfast including omelettes and eggs specially prepared, different breads, cakes, hams, cheeses, yogurt and also sparkling wine! I have seen reports of it being boring as it is always the same! What different choice would anyone want from this huge selection! The staff are always friendly, attentive, professional and, I am ashamed to say, they can always speak to us in English whilst very few of us are able to converse in their language. The gardens really are absolutely wonderful, I would say even better than most of the professional gardens in Madeira. Gardening fanatics will love the herb garden, the orchid garden and most of the plants have their names on them. We just cant fault it in any way and the rates are very competitive. It certainly should have a rating of 5*. Congratulations once again to the Manager and all his staff for a wonderful relaxing holiday in such a super place. It is a pleasant 30-minute walk into Funchal town, with an uphill walk back, but for those less able there is a very good courtesy bus and the local buses also stop outside. Also the Red and Yellow buses, which take you around part of the island, stop outside.

Madeira for those unacquainted with it is a beautiful island, very mountainous, very green, with wonderful plants and extremely clean. For those people like us who like walking, it is paradise. The only downside at the moment is that there is a lot of flood alleviation and landscaping work taking place at the harbour, which does make it slightly treacherous walking in some areas. But I know when all the work is done it will be even better!

Room Tip: We were upgraded on our 50th anniversary to a suite, room 2338, which was fantastic.
2 Thank 161Sandy
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for staying at our hotel once again and for such a comprehensive review about your recent visit to Porto Mare hotel.

We are really happy to learn that you had such a very positive holiday experience with us and profited from the facilities, services we have within the Vila Porto Mare complex.

We will be most pleased to welcome you in a future visit to our Island…ASAP!