“We really enjoyed it”

Pestana Grand Premium Ocean Resort
Ranked #16 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Spent a week here in July. it's a nice hotel and one of the things I like the best is how nice everyone is. We met lots of nice people. Marion in Guest Relations is a wonderful resource for booking tours. it is quite a bit outside of downtown Funchal, but it is right across the street from the Forum, a multi-story mall with a very good supermarket. The only downside for us is that the outdoor pool is quite cool - virtually no one swims in it. It is offset by a warmer indoor pool with nearby sauna and Turkish steam room, all very nice. Oh, and very few of the rooms overlook the ocean, which seems odd to me.

We took the 45-minute coast walk twice to the fishing village of Camara de Lobos, We were in Madeira for two weeks and spent the first week at Pestana Grand and the second in an apartment in downtown Funchal and that worked well for us.

Room Tip: Clearly, an ocean view room if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank antoniaCalifornia
There are newer reviews for Pestana Grand Premium Ocean Resort

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Situated on the outskirts of West Funchal, but still within walking distance of various amenities including restuarants. Its on the coast but as Madeira is a rocky island its a bit of the a walk to the nearest beach. The view out to the sea wonderful. The hotel is well maintained and the rooms are more spacious than I expected, there is a safe and a fridge which is useful for stocking up drinks or fruit.The pool is ok but not for serious swimmers, it was extremely salty! The staff were very friendly and helpful especially in the restaurant area. Breakfast was very good, lots of variety. We stayed as half board so evening meals were included which meant buffets every day! I was happy with this arrangement at booking as i thought there were a couple of A La Carte restaurants on site. However, they were not open every day and even then the menu options were not great and they were pretty expensive. The buffet meals became rather repetitive! There is a strict dress code for evening meals so no shorts for men of any sort! Evening entertainment by local talent was provided but don't hold your breath. Free wifi in reception area which is always welcome. A courtesy bus is available at set time to take you down to the harbor area. Overall I would recommend this hotel, I certainly have good memories.

Room Tip: ask for seaview
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NMDA
PestanaGrand, Guest Relations Manager at Pestana Grand Premium Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing us.
We really hope you have had a great time with us and hope to see you again in the future.
With kind regards from all of us.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Invited by my friend I was fortunate to stay in one of the owners appartments. We were met at the airport by the taxi organised by the hotel. Received a warm friendly greeting by all the staff on arrival. Greeted in the appartment by a beautiful flower arrangement, basket of fruit and bottle of wine. With its private access in the hotel grounds the appartment is modern, large, spacious, light and airy, has its own private pool in a beautifully kept garden, daily maid service and stunning views to wake up to it was absolutely stunning in every way.
The hotel facilities are excellent too, the Spa facilities are wonderfully relaxing.
I had the loveliest holiday.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank CornwallCarol
PestanaGrand, Guest Relations Manager at Pestana Grand Premium Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us.
We're glad to know that, you had a nice experience with us and hope you take home memorable moments to last for life.
With kind regards to you and your family and wishes of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Very pleased with our stay at the hotel. They could do with more staff by the pool bar as service was sometimes slow, but all staff are very helpful. The hotel is a fair distance outside Funchal. It is very walkable, but a free courtesy bus is offered and this runs quite regularly. Lots of good places to eat locally. Hotel pool was also good

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank oamthg
PestanaGrand, Guest Relations Manager at Pestana Grand Premium Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Pestana Grand Hotel for your holidays in Madeira.
Were glad that the facilities and services provided from us, were up to your expectations and you have had a relaxing time with us.
With kind regards.

Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Just returned from the Pestana Grand. The last time I was here was five years ago. I'm glad to say that the standards haven't slipped!
Hotel is lovely and clean. Staff are helpful. The pool was warmer than I remember!
This is a hotel to relax in and relax we did.
Just a note, men have to wear long trousers and shoes to dinner - even the buffet. This is a new rule this year. So make sure you are prepared!
Can't wait to return in the future!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Hez03
PestanaGrand, Guest Relations Manager at Pestana Grand Premium Ocean Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2015

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for choosing us.
With was a personal pleasure of ours to be part and provide a memorable holiday for you.
We hope you have taken good memories back home and hope to see you again in the future.

With kind regards

Reviewed 26 August 2013

I've been staying at Pestana Grand since 2004. I like the location and the restaurants near by. I also love the breakfast. However I have always had a few gripes.

1. I keep asking for a double bed rather than 2 singles - it has never happened.
2. Linen not changed - I usually stay for 7 nights.
3. Small hard towels.
4. Out of date TV and radio facilities
5. Awful entertainment - David Hedges was the only decent singer

Why do I go back? I regularly have to travel on my own and feel safe here and eating in the local restaurants is a delight, even for a single female. I have gotten to know the staff in the hotel and in the local restaurants and they know me.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone except families with children - no facilities for them. I would not however recommend eating in the hotel at night - its overpriced and mediocre.

One thing I've picked up on from other comments - I never had tea & coffee etc provided nor have I had wine on my birthday. I visit every year on my birthday and have done since 2004, both on my own and with my partner. Have I been missing out all these years?

Room Tip: Don't book a room on the first floor - you could end up above the bar/entertainment stage very n...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lizf4619
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We have just returned from a fabulous holiday at the Pestana Grand Hotel. We had a large room with a beautiful view of the sea and lush gardens with the sea cliffs in the distance. Sun sets in the evening were visible from our balcony.The staff were very polite and friendly. It was my husband's birthday and we were given a bottle of sparkling wine on ice in our room on arrival which was lovely. The bathroom was equipped with bath and shower cubicle and very modern and clean. The hotel was in a very quiet location great for relaxation and walking. A free shuttle bus was available and was always on time to take you into Funchal. It is so beautiful and quaint, the cable car ride is amazing also if possible book a trip on the Santa Maria boat we were lucky enough to see the dolphins which was so exciting. The breakfasts were very good , the buffet in the evening was average , we ate out at a small fish restaurant a short stroll away a couple of times, although there was other options in the hotel if you were half board. You can walk a short distance to the lido via the coastal path with lovely scenery. All in all we had one of our best holidays here and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Pay the supplement for a side sea view or full sea view and you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple