We have just returned from a short break at The Residence to celebrate our wedding anniversary. This was the first time we had visited this hotel, and we hope to return soon for a longer period. There are 3 differently styled hotels in this complex which all share the same public areas, restaurants, pool and garden facilities; we chose to stay in The Residence, a wing with apartments, some of which are timeshare.
The whole hotel is lovely, a calm oasis, nestled in extensive and beautifully tended gardens. Our air-conditioned apartment was very spacious and comfortable, with both bedroom and living area opening onto a sea-view balcony, and a lovely living/dining area and fully-equipped kitchen. There was a large bathroom and adjoining shower room, with plenty of towels for both indoor and leisure use, and bathrobes to use during our stay.
We were given a bowl of fresh fruit and a bottle of water on arrival, which was a nice touch, and tea/coffee items replenished daily.
The pools and spa facilities are fantastic, and there is a gym which we didn't use. Lots to do so you can spend a lot of time in the hotel. The gardens are so lovely there are even guided tours to point out the interesting plants.
We were staying on a half-board basis, so enjoyed the extensive buffet-style breakfast and evening meal, which were both really good, with a great variety of high-quality choices on offer.
Above all, the hotel staff were lovely, from the reception staff to restaurant/bar staff, housekeeping and maintenance - helpful, welcoming and courteous, and did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable. Can't wait to come back again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Occupying the west wing of the Vila Porto Mare resort, The Residence enjoys the use of all its facilities and a real sense of community. A wide selection of carefully furnished and fully equipped apartments where comfort is our motto. The 99 units divided into studios, one and two bedroom apartments are decorated with a touch of exoticism. The Residence apartments combine views over the ocean with tropical gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, Priceline, TravelUp, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your The Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Mare Residence Funchal
- Porto Mare Residence Hotel Funchal
- The Residence Madeira/Funchal