We stayed for a week in a 2 bedroomed apartment, arriving on Easter Monday. The apartment was clean, spacious and comfortable and had an excellent uninterrupted sea view. The facilities at the hotel were excellent, although we only scratched the surface of what was available - the pool, spa and gym were great. I loved the gardens too which were beautifully maintained. Some good restaurants nearby and a good supermarket (Pingo Doce) a short walk away so we were able to have several meals in too. The walk along the promenade was beautiful. The walk into Funchal is OK as there are good views and its mainly downhill but it is along quite a busy road. A taxi worked out cheaper than the bus for four of us - 4-5 Euros. We also used taxis to get to places like the Botanic Gardens as it was easier than getting two buses. We used Madeira Explorers to do the Pico Areiro to Pico Ruivo walk - this was a tough walk but we had a thoroughly enjoyable day and I'd highly recommend it as a way of seeing more of the island - far better than sitting on a coach all day - we could literally see the whole island from the top - unforgettable.
A lot of people say that Madeira isn't a great place to take children. We went with two teenagers who both really enjoyed it (admittedly they aren't into clubbing etc) - but the hotel facilities are very good and there are plenty of things that interested them including the cable car, boat trips to see the dolphins and the gardens where they developed an interest in photography! I'd certainly take younger children as the weather was beautifully sunny but not so hot that it would make them miserable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Occupying the west wing of the Vila Porto Mare resort, The Residence enjoys the use of all its facilities and a real sense of community. A wide selection of carefully furnished and fully equipped apartments where comfort is our motto. The 99 units divided into studios, one and two bedroom apartments are decorated with a touch of exoticism. The Residence apartments combine views over the ocean with tropical gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, LateRooms, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Mare Residence Funchal
- Porto Mare Residence Hotel Funchal
- The Residence Madeira/Funchal