“Difficult to fault - a fantastic stay”
Review of The Residence

The Residence
Ranked #6 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 1 April 2008

We stayed for a week in a 2 bedroomed apartment, arriving on Easter Monday. The apartment was clean, spacious and comfortable and had an excellent uninterrupted sea view. The facilities at the hotel were excellent, although we only scratched the surface of what was available - the pool, spa and gym were great. I loved the gardens too which were beautifully maintained. Some good restaurants nearby and a good supermarket (Pingo Doce) a short walk away so we were able to have several meals in too. The walk along the promenade was beautiful. The walk into Funchal is OK as there are good views and its mainly downhill but it is along quite a busy road. A taxi worked out cheaper than the bus for four of us - 4-5 Euros. We also used taxis to get to places like the Botanic Gardens as it was easier than getting two buses. We used Madeira Explorers to do the Pico Areiro to Pico Ruivo walk - this was a tough walk but we had a thoroughly enjoyable day and I'd highly recommend it as a way of seeing more of the island - far better than sitting on a coach all day - we could literally see the whole island from the top - unforgettable.

A lot of people say that Madeira isn't a great place to take children. We went with two teenagers who both really enjoyed it (admittedly they aren't into clubbing etc) - but the hotel facilities are very good and there are plenty of things that interested them including the cable car, boat trips to see the dolphins and the gardens where they developed an interest in photography! I'd certainly take younger children as the weather was beautifully sunny but not so hot that it would make them miserable.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank janny1

Reviewed 18 March 2008

We just returned from our stay at the Residence Porto Mare. Fabulous! We were there from 08 March to 15 March. We stayed in a studio at the Residence and it was perfect. It is a very large studio with a large balcony. It appeared almost every room had a sea view except the ground floor rooms. It also has a large kitchen that is fully equipped, Cookware, silverware, dishes, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, kettle and dish towels. There is even a full size ironing board and full size iron in the room. We had complimentary bathrobes that I lived in most of the week at the indoor and outdoor pools. The bed was HUGE! The size of two queen size beds! It had a couch, a dining room table and a huge amount of storage space and lots of hangers for the clothes. Everything about Porto Mare is top notch. Great TV also to have so many English Speaking Channels! And the buffet breakfast is the best I have ever seen. They even make fresh made waffles!
The Residence, Porto Mare and Eden Mar are all one big resort. It is landscaped beautifully and laid out in a friendly manner. It doesn't matter which you stay at because they all can use the same facilities. I really liked my stay here and I could relax completely. Good entertainment day and night. I even took a Portuguese language class. I especially wanted to compliment Pierre (who works the bars) Deborah (the french girl at the desk) and Marisella( also at the desk). Their friendliness and attitude were lovely and made our stay special. The courtesy bus is great and runs all day. In addition for you golfers there is a courtesy bus up to the two golf courses. Book with the front desk at the hotel. My husband only paid 52 euro a game. My husband so appreciated the free bus ride to golf. He said to make sure you specify you want to play the Championship course at Santo de Serra as the other course at Santo da Serra is not as good. He also said that Palheiro is not as good as Santo de Serra. And to bring your own clubs if possible because the ones you rent at Santo de Serra are not very good. A man he golfed with did not book through his hotel and paid 75 euro to play.
Now just a couple of negatives. The Med restaurant was horrible. The food was terrible. Do not eat the Bruschetta. The bread was not even toasted and was stale! The food tasted microwaved and it was cold. We hated the food at the Med as did many of the people we spoke to afterwards. Overpriced and just plain bad. Also the girls at the Spa need to have a better attitude, They were rude and unfriendly. I looked forward to my booked treatments for the week and was very disappointed . The manicures were very unprofessional. I could have done my own nails better and ended up removing their polish and doing it myself. Get your nails done at one of the many salons they have around Funchal. Also the person teaching the Portuguese language class may want to take a class herself in manners. She seemed to have a huge problem with Americans and made a lot of references to it throughout the class. Although I have lived in Ireland for many years I do not think she realized that I am an American. One should always be aware you never know who will be in an audience. I found her constant negative reference to Americans annoying and condescending. I would have thought a classy hotel like Porto Mare would have instructed their staff to never speak negative about any nationality.
If you stay away from the Spa and the Med Restaurant you should have a fabulous time.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank PaintedNails
Reviewed 22 January 2008

wow...we have just arrived back from the residence,we had a very spacious 2 bed apartment with 2 huge bathrooms,we also had our own garden.....the views were fantastic...only problem being the new hotels they are building next door they start at 8 in the morning til about 5 in eve.not keen on funchal as a town nothing much there shops are all the same,we went one evening to the old town hoping to have a nice meal as soon as the taxi dropped us off we were surrounded by waiters trying to get you to go to there restaurant,this was very off putting in the end we walked back to the promenade and had a meal on the beatles boat...a very beautiful island we went on the west coast tour only 8 of us in a mini bus met some nice people,plus the mad hatters from HEREFORDSHIRE if you are reading this CHEERS....
a nice restaurant by the hotel is la paella if you walk through to the poto mare hotel entrance and up the stairs in front of you it is across the road plus also there is a lovely bakers, we had 2 huge pieces of gateaux and coffee all for 5 euros.also if u go out of the residence entrance onto the prom walk past where they are building right along the prom you will come toa lido walk on past the views are fantastic soon you will arrive at the magic tea rooms you will need a drink by then....carry on walking along the prom past the pestana grand hotel down some steps to a lovely restaurant overlooking the sea, you then go on through a tunnel along the boardwalk,to another nice restaurant.not a walk for the faint hearted...we were out about 3 or 4 hours we needed a siesta when we arrived back....a lovely island to visit to chill out

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank archieHampshire
Reviewed 25 November 2007

We decided to book this hotel for a week for my son's first holiday abroad. The one bedroom apartment was spacious and well equipped and the furnishings were of a really high standard. The staff were friendly and attentive and the man who checked us in remembered my husband's name and asked him how we were enjoying our stay half way through the week.
Breakfast was included and I've never seen such a wonderful array of food! There were various cereals, pastries and breads and eggs were freshly cooked to or der. One of the waitresses, Lena, was particularly friendly and took a real shine to our son. She brought a high chair over to our table each morning.
We would definitely return to this hotel as the facilities on offer were second to none. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank Sarah T
Reviewed 12 October 2007

16 members of my family stayed at the Porto Mare Hotel for a week in August 2007. The reason for the holiday was to celebrate two things firstly my husband and I reached our 25 year wedding anniversary, and my Mother celebrated her 80th birthday .

We did a lot of searching to try and find a holiday that suited such a wide range of people aged from 8 years up to 82 years, (this included 4 young people aged 17 – 24) and Madeira and the Porto Mare Hotel certainly had something to suit every single person. The staff, the food the facilities were all first class.

We certainly hope to return again in the not to distant future.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
9  Thank Elainereid
Reviewed 17 September 2007

Simply excellent !!! Great location, superb design, very good service, 5 stars facilities including swimming pools, spa, sauna, gym restaurants and bars.

Stayed: February 2007
12  Thank MiamiKeyWest
Reviewed 6 September 2007

This was our 13th visit to Madeira and our 3rd visit to the Residence, from 20th Aug - 3rd Sept.
It was great as usual - great facilities, super friendly staff (particularly at the Bar Varanda - Jose, Rosete, Carina, Pedro, Andreia, Hernan - and all the others whose names I forget!) The guys who get the guardasols are very friendly and can give good advice - thanks Lino, Ricardo, etc.

We ate in the Med again - very good, tho I thought that they had reduced the choice. We also ate at the Atlantida for the first time in all our visits. I am not very fond of buffet type meals but it was very good - everything was very fresh, great choice. We gave the Balsamico a miss this year - it is not very exciting.

We ate in other restaurants nearby - we visited the Brasserie (at the start of the Promenade, underneath the Tivoli) a couple of times. It is very good, not too dear and very friendly staff. They remembered us from last year!

There is a new restaurant opened at the start of the Promenade, just to the left. It is called the Qazbah and, as the name suggests, specialises in N. African cuisine. I had lamb tagine - very nice, good helping. They aslo do a wide range of snacks, toasted sandwiches etc at very reasonable prices.

We always try a couple of new restaurants. This year we went to the Fort San Tiago in the Old Town. Expensive, but a beautiful and very different meal. You get a free glass of cava before the meal. My wife does not drink so I had hers and a bottle of nice local wine which was reasonably priced and very drinkable.

We also went to the Golden Gate for dinner. We had eaten there before a few years ago and we decided to try it again. Expensive and not at that good. The staff were very rushed and the food was basically thrown at you.

I went on a couple of levada walks which were great. It always amazes me how different it is up in the mountains - on one of the walks it was very misty but in Funchal the sun was blazing - 28 degrees!

We love Madeira and the people although we heard that crime is going up tho the local police are very quick to clamp down on it. Apparently there were a lot of young people gathering in the Santa Caterina Park so they put up a fence and the gates are locked each night at 11pm. However, we have seen nothing. Even during the Wine Festival (glass of wine or beer 1 euro!) we didn't even see any drunks! (except me possibly!)

However, we will be back again next year. We may go in May as well as August.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple