“The perfect place for a relaxing holiday”
Review of The Residence

The Residence
Ranked #8 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Excellent service, comfortable and spacious accommodation. Peace and tranquility. Beautiful place on a very beautiful island. This is our third stay and it remains a pleasure to be here.Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and the rooms are superbly equipped - we choose to self cater a couple of evenings and had all the equipment we needed plus local supermarket is on the doorstep.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liz R
antoniopais, General Manager at The Residence, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for “The perfect place for a relaxing holiday” review shared on tripadvisor and good to know that you had another enjoyable stay

I will be most pleased to welcome you on a future visit to Madeira,

There are newer reviews for The Residence

Reviewed 6 August 2013

To sum up review: good hotel but food is not up to the standards: avoid half board stay.
After going to the Porto Mare itself in 2007, we went to the Residence Porto Mare which is basically in the same structure but on the right side if you face the hotel entrance.

Room:
The room is quite large especially in the Residence where you’ve got a small kitchenette with sink, microwave, cupboard, crockery, fridge, toaster and heating area. There’s also a balcony which was giving on the garden side. This is nice but pls note you’ll hear the sound of music up to approx 22h30:23h as you’re in front of the outside bar. Then it stops and you can sleep quietly. The sound didn’t prevent us to watch TV (in some other hotels , it did!)
The room was very clean and the housekeeping uses a vacuum cleaner: yes, maybe tiny detail to mention but the difference between cleaning with a vacuum cleaner and a broom is tremendous. The furniture, mattress and general aspect of the room were good and to my surprise quite well preserved after this time. The hotel may need renovating in 5-7 years but so far so good. They have started changing the carpet so maybe sthg is already going on.

Staff
Except one person at the Atlandida which took our half emptied plate and THEN asked “finished?”, staff is really nice and easy-going. This has been a point of improvement from 2007 where we didn’t get such a positive impression and this range from the reception to the cleaning ladies.

Pools & surroundings:
Being quite a swimmer, I expressively chose this hotel as it has 3 main pools: one big next to the Atlandida Restaurant: you can have a distance of 25m swimming I think and the water is hotter than in the other swimming pools. One rectangular pool offers you a distance of 15m to swim and another one next to the Spa offers you around 20m although you might have to jungle around some pillars. There is another small one at Eden Mar (left side of the hotel) but this one is quite small. Next to this one, you have a kid pool as well as next to the main pool.
When you on the right side of the hotel you can go directly to the indoor swimming pools by a corridor instead of going back to reception.
The standard “habit” of I-put-my-towel-at-6-in-the-morning-to-book-a-transat seems to apply although not being a transat lizard at all I never experienced it personally.
The hotel provides towels (green) for the pools.
The surroundings are well kept with a lot of flowers, gardens, vegetation, mini golf, bar, table tennis at some hours, playground. There are a lot of small places/corners to have peace especially indoor, for ex the reception of the Residence is nice but often empty while the reception of the Porto Mare itself is often fully packed.

Internet:
The rooms don’t have free wifi. It’s available from all three receptions free of charge so this is also why the main/Porto Mare reception is often packed. You can buy a 7 day pass for 25 euros, 5-day pass for 16 euros and 1-day pass for 8 euros. If you buy it in your room, when there’s huge traffic the speed is very slow though. I saw an Ethernet output in the room so might be worth trying to bring a cable to have more speed. PCs are available at the reception to consult internet if you don’t have anything to connect.

Spa
We didn’t test it this timer but back in 2007: at that time, I wasn’t impress at all, and was disappointed.

Parking
If you rent a car, there are quite a number of park space available although they are not free. The Porto Mare and the Residence provide a large underground parking which you can access with your room card. We could always find a place whatever the time of the day.

So here comes the rocky point. To be fair, I don’t think you’ll starve or get poisoned by eating at the buffet of the Atlantida and to stay on the positive side, kids will be delighted bec food is very well separated so you see broccolis you get plain broccolis, you see rice, this is plain rice: for kids who don’t like to be tricked by a mix of food products in one meal, they won’t get anything they don’t want.
This said, just for the evening buffet (breakfast is decent), I would advise you not to stay on half board, especially if you stay 2 weeks (or one week yes the other no). The choices are really boring and the food is not cooked: it is processed. You can feel an industrial taste in everything. You could argue it’s bec they need to feed a lot of people but other hotels play it very above this quality level with a lot more people. I won’t mention that they called a very traditional meal (polenta) from the north of Italy as Roman gnocchi (any Italian guest in the hotel may have collapsed) and they even managed to ruin a simple pasta cheese gratin by putting a disgusting ready-made sauce in it. The tomato sauce of pasta meal was just poured from the can I think. I focus on pasta bec this is typically the meal that seems easy to cook and is eventually not, so easy to ruin.
Another example was for the Portuguese ‘night’ when I could see so few Portuguese meals that I became to doubt it was the night.
This impression of boring, ruined food already existed in 2007 and still prevailed this time.
Apart from this, you usually have a lot of first courses and normal quantity of main courses, usually fish and meat, grilled or not. For the first courses, a doubt remain in my mind that food used in main courses were reprocessed into first course, but…let the doubt be. Again, on an island, I would have expected to have better quality of fish and diversity and not the perch fish that nobody having seen the film about it would ever eat again.
Desserts are regular for hotel desserts, nothing special to mention about except here again, the processed way of having them : a lot of industrial mousses in all formats. But for desserts, I’ve seen this elsewhere.
To be mention is the option of exchanging the value of your buffet ‘voucher’ (17 euros) for a restaurant ‘voucher’ at the Basilico (Italian restaurant in the Porto Mare) of the Alfama (Portuguese restaurant in the hotel). We had not the time to explore this option.
Again, for the classical buffet, you’ll survive but your time in the buffet section might be shorter and not so enjoyable due to the remarks above, and we were happy we just were there for one week.

Room Tip: ask a room on the upper floors unless you do not wish so as when on the ground floor, you face the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 9jerry9

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at the Residence .

Good to know that overall you have enjoyed your holiday experience in spite of some points you mention where we did not meet your expectations.

In our resort we have implemented since 2003 a system on Health & Safety where we control all the food preparation process from the suppliers till the final step which is when we present it to our clients.
Every two months we have blind audit on all the process. This company works by the EU and European major Tour Operator rules that also make evaluations on the process and also on the guest satisfactions levels of this particular service where till now we are recognized as one of the best on the island.

Every day the Vila Porto Mare supplies around 50 meals to homeless people of Funchal. We do not reprocess any food, cold or hot who is not consumed buy our guests from the buffet stations.

Twice a week we organize a free kitchen tour where our guests are invited to personally see how we do things in our property including the pastry area.

I will be most pleased to clarify any doubts you might have about my explanation.

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from the residence, we went for one week in my friends time share 2 bed apartment. She has just decided to sign up for another 10 years as its so nice!! Madeira is a beautiful place. Rooms were great and very modern, cleaned everyday. pool area is good but we had to get up super early to get beds as a lot of other guests where putting towels out early and not even using the beds throughout the day! Nothing stops non hotel guests using the pool/ beds etc. Service at pool bar was very hit and miss but food was good quality when order was got right, very pricey too. There are some lovely restaurants just outside the complex at half the price of the hotels. Book it as you will love it!!

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Me_Again79

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay at the Residence and for your review on tripadvisor. Good to know that overall you had a positive holiday experience.
Regarding the sunbeds we are looking for a solution to be a bit more effective on how guests use this equipment. Please take good note that pool facilities are not opened to non-hotel guests.

Sincerely hope to welcome you soon

Warm regards

Reviewed 3 August 2013

We have returned from our fourth visit to The Residence where we stayed in a two bedroomed apartment. This had recently been decorated. There are ongoing redecorating works at the hotel which did not affect our visit in any way. Staff as attentive as ever, breakfast wonderful.
We did not attend the bbq this year as we felt last year it was not good value for money. The pink party and magic show were enjoyable and we did listen to the various musicians in the evenings. The first week we went to the quiz show and were given a sheet of paper with questions to be answered, nobody read the questions out. It was a waste of time to be honest, no atmosphere.
The Doce Lima ice cream shop serves wonderful coffee and desserts, when it is open that is. We went one morning for a coffee only to be told it doesn't open until 11.30am. The area was busy, is this not a missed opportunity? I also wonder why the desserts etc cannot be incorporated into the pool bar as they are far superior to the milkshakes available at pool bar. On two occasions we took back our milkshakes as they were watery and at 4 euros we were expecting them to be better, the Doce Lima milkshakes about half the price and so much better.
There is a kids club that runs for an hour a few days a week which is great fun. I feel something for the kids age 10 to 14 years would be great. Levada walks, pool games etc .
Still a fantastic holiday. I feel a few tweeks here and there would make it even better and could perhaps generate more income for the hotel.
The new "lido" opened when we were there. Entry into the sea with sunbeds and parasols a few steps from the hotel is worth a visit. My kids loved it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mummys2girls
antoniopais, General Manager at The Residence, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for stay at the Residence and for the comprehensive review about your holiday experience.

Thank you also for the suggestions that will be discussed among the team…Any further suggestions are most welcome.

See you around soon

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Another relaxing holiday over and already looking forward to our next one as a owner at the Residence.Being greeted by cheerful staff at reception to our lovely cleaner Deana is always a good start to our holiday. The apartment looked great after having new curtains and being decorated thoughout. My only downside to this holiday is I go on holiday to have lay in and to lay by the pool or surrounding area. Although we have a garden apartment and there is a large area to spread ourselves out it is sometimes nice to go up on the pool area. That is of course if we can get beds. I would be fine getting a bed if I was prepared to get up at early oclock to reserve a bed. Mind you we were awake at 7:30 am most mornings or after midnight by people getting their beds reserved and thumping either the beds or umbrella stands into position.. Although the hotel works on a non reserve bed system. Having spoken to the manager we have all been imformed that this situation is being looked into.If you wish to have a good holiday make sure you are not in garden apartment 3102 -3109 during the busy time at the complex.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in apartments 3102-3109
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sue w

Dear Guest,

Thank you for another stay at the Residence and for your feedback.

As we discussed during your holidays the issue sunbeds and parasols dragging, mainly above the top apartments is now I hope, solved or at least minimized as we have already installed fixed parasols bases. The concrete basis are now not available on that specific area.

We have also increased the number of sunbeds in different places of our solarium but please understand that it is very difficult to have all the guests close to the main pool. We are also thinking about installing some refreshing showers on the garden apartments so the guest from those units can use a bit more the sunbeds and “relief” the ones on the top.

Any further suggestions are most welcome.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Another wonderful holiday in the Residence with our family. A few hiccups this year our daughter and son-in-laws apartment had an awful glue smell from repairs to air conditioning but dealt with immediately and professionally, loss of power overnight had the fridges defrosting water over some food & an evening of odd coloured hot water ! This all goes to prove how wonderful the Porto Mare is anywhere else these problems would seem large in paradise they pale into insignificance. The only concern my husband and I have was the Pink Party, outside and noisy although didn't go on very late didn't seem in keeping with the traditional Madeiran tranquil holiday which is far removed from the Costas. It would be a shame if this Hotel leaned towards roudy entertainment to pander to the very large population of Hotel guests without considering those in the Residence who have bought weeks in Madeira to avoid such things. I'm sure tradition will prevail & look forward to next year with our family in such lovely surroundings.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the positive feedback about the 7th holiday experience at the Residence.
Happy to learn that in general and in spite of a few issues you have enjoyed it.
As you know and mainly during summer and school holidays we have families staying at our hotel and since a year ago that we came up with a summer program that includes this themed Pink Party on Fridays from 20.00 till 23.hrs.

See you on the 8th visit,

Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Another wonderful holiday at my timeshare. The staff are the best I have ever come across and do everything they can to make my stay relaxing and happy. From the maid to the pool staff, managers to waiters you could not find nicer people and in particular Alexander, the manager, was so kind in organising a perfect birthday breakfast for my friend. Flowers on the table, chilled sparkling wine and a scrumptious cake that was brought in with all the staff singing happy birthday in Portuguese. The buffet food is amazing and great value with the meal deals. I can't wait till I can return and see my 'friends'. Thank you so much for looking after me so well.

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your “Another brilliant holiday at the Residence” feedback shared on tripadvisor.

Thank you also for the public praise of Alexandre I am sure he will be most pleased to receive your thoughts.

See you soon,