This was our first trip to Madeira and we booked The Residence as it has consistently had good reviews. As stated in other reviews, the hotel shares its facilities with two other hotels which means that their are more facilities to use.
We were slightly disappointed in our room as the view was of a garden and a road and the balcony was shady most of the time. However, to be fair, we didn't ask to move and can appreciate that not all rooms can have great views. The room had all we needed and was no concerns re cleanliness.
The pool and outside area is gorgeous. Plenty of sunbeds and all have umbrellas. We did not have any problems getting a sunbed, even when we went down to the pool area relatively late.
We only ate at the buffet restaurant which was excellent and good value for money.
We were pleased with the location of the hotel - a short walk into Funchal or an easy taxi ride. Hotel is relatively central without being in a busy area which was ideal for us. We booked trips at a local information area and were picked up outside the hotel. There is also a supermarket close by which was reasonable. There are lots of bars and restaurants close by if you don't want to go into Funchal.
We were a bit disappointed with the entertainment on an evening. We tended to go out to eat and when we returned to the hotel about 9.30 / 10am there was very little to do. There was a duo singing in the Portofino bar but this tended to be the same each night and could have been a bit livelier. Drinks are also expensive - 3 euros for a small beer which is a bit excessive compared to other bars close by.
Overall, an enjoyable week and would return to the hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Occupying the west wing of the Vila Porto Mare resort, The Residence enjoys the use of all its facilities and a real sense of community. A wide selection of carefully furnished and fully equipped apartments where comfort is our motto. The 99 units divided into studios, one and two bedroom apartments are decorated with a touch of exoticism. The Residence apartments combine views over the ocean with tropical gardens. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotel.de and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Porto Mare Residence Funchal
- Porto Mare Residence Hotel Funchal
- The Residence Madeira/Funchal