Our stay at the Hotel Panoramico was fantastic - the hotel is lovely! The rooms are very clean and have a wonderful view of either the sea or the mountains. Our room, whilst facing the mountains, was extremely spacious and was cleaned every day. Even when I'd accidently spilt a bit of Diet Coke on the sheets and tried to cover it up, the sheets were immediately changed! My mother, who came with us, had a slightly smaller room, though it did face the sea and had the sunshine right from the morning.
We often ate in Funchal itself, but did eat at the Paladar restaurant on three occasions, each of which was fantastic with delicious food.
Our only, teeny, tiny gripe was the evening entertainment, which mostly consisted of a man sitting behind an electric piano, singing along to backing tracks of what can only be described as "random songs of the past 30 years" though strange intonation meant that some of the songs weren't particularly recognisable. Indeed, the evening entertainment often rendered the cocktail bar empty in the evenings - a shame as it's a good room and lovely to have a nightcap in.
Funchal itself is a lovely town, but it's really the Old Town where the culture can be found. The restaurants all compete for your custom, but they mostly offer the same mix of fish and meat. Remember, you'll be spending Euros, so it's not particularly cheap to eat out, but many of the restaurants have their own set menus for about 12 Euros. Otherwise, expect to pay around 10 - 15 Euros for a main course.
Finally, things to see.... well, for me, the best bit of our holiday was the trip on the cable car to Monte and the Tropical Gardens. The cable car is amazing - especially as a feat of engineering.
However, BEWARE!! We also took a mini-bus day trip around the island, designed to stop off at many of the "must-see" locations. True, the bus did stop at lots of different places... though very few of them would be classed as "places of interest." Combined with nearly throwing up on the bus as we bumped our way to the "natural swimming pools" the pools themselves were very rocky and none of our party decided that they wanted to partake in the swimming. Additionally, most of the stops were based around tourist shops, which were obviously the main reason for having a stop there.
Overall we spent a very pleasent 9 days at the Panoramico and I would definitely go there again... though definitely not the full day "sightseeing" on a sick-inducing minibus!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the west hillside of Funchal, with superb views of the sea, the bay and magnificent mountains. With a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, this is the ideal place for an unforgettable holidays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Madeira Panoramico Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Madeira Panoramico
- Madeira Panoramico Funchal
- Madeira Panoramico Hotel Funchal