“Great holiday hotel”

Ranked #28 of 86 Hotels in Funchal
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great holiday hotel”
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip to Madeira and we had booked with thomsons who have so far not let us down.
And again this was a pleasant surprise, the hotel was clean, rooms very nice (we had room 114) safe (at a 10€ cost) towels, toiletries, mini bar and fridge was all included. Staff where friendly and helpful. The pool area was clean and the pool had a good size. The view from this hotel is amazing as it gives you a full view of Funchal, a must by night.
There are many things to do in Madeira and I can only recommend a boat trip to see the dolphins as you are guaranteed to see them and when I say "see" dolphins I mean they come so close you can almost touch them.
The restaurants are bars in Funchal are also great. And overall we had a great weeks holiday and can only recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank K170187

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Lubusz Province, Poland
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Hotel with beautiful views of Funchal, ideal for car trips around the island.
We stayed in room 201, the room slightly larger than the other with a large terrace.
Standard equipment, flat screen TV, refrigerator, mini-bar, safe - paid, extra pillows and blankets in the closet, towels, etc. Sunbathing nothing was missing. The room is located in the second building from the side of a fairly busy street but it is not so much a nuisance, views and air compensate for everything. Boarding good. Service in the rooms and throughout the hotel very good.

In the area there are many attractions, you need to go to the center of Funchal. For promenade of hotels around 1.5 km, to a large shopping center about 2.5 km to the city center about 3 km.
At the reception you can hire a car from the rental CarXop, suffice it to say the basis of the car on the selected date and time, you can pay with cash and credit card. Full insurance is included in the price (which shall include windows, wheels and chassis). With respect to other rental is very attractive. I suggest before you go to the reception, spreading price list and you can immediately book.

Special thanks to the hotel staff who remembered my birthday. You're very nice. Thank you very much for the champagne.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VolmerLeon
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Although we had some problems with booking everything was solved according to our requirements. If I compare to other hotels same category - hotel panoramico is really great. Nice clean rooms, helpful staff seemed to be always in positive mood, beautiful view, courtesy bus (9am-6pm- there is also public transport), quiet location, free internet (not very fast but this is not necessary on vacation). I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Ilonmark
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was our first time in Madeira for a two-week holiday. Initially we thought it was too long to spend in a place we had never visited but we managed to do lots in the two weeks. The staff were pleasant, helpful and always available to help. The room was spacious, airy, comfortable beds with enough bedding and clean. The views from the hotel are amazing, we watched the firework displays on the two Saturdays we were there. The open top bus (yellow-bus) and the regular bus stop right outside the hotel. The hotel also has a courtesy bus. There are restaurants nearby with lovely food. The best thing was the location, away from the hustle and bustle of town and the food. The down-side is the barking dogs which I think you cannot blame on the hotel as this is common. Overall we enjoyed the hotels' facilities and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms facing East or the swimming pool are quieter though if you want sunshine in the afternoon choo...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Cate_rimo
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel has an overwhelming view over Funchal's bay. You can spend hours enjoying the sight over the hotel's balconies. The rooms are comfortable, the staff is nice and the meals are very good. The hotel is very lively with daily shows.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank Miguel R
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I flew into Madeira to join a cruise ship for work and was due to stay overnight. Sadly my company had not booked me any transfers from the airport and the only place I knew was the Panoramico Hotel as I had stayed here before.

I asked Reception for a room and even though it had been over a year since my last visit the Receptionist (Mrs Fernandez - forgotten her first name) remebered me and know that I was with the shipping agency. A room was organised and strangely was the same room as I stayed in before.

This time, I used the hotels restaurant which was actually very nice for a buffett. All the food was hot, well presented and tasty, the wine was also very good and was well needed at his point of my journey.

I know this may be picky, but the second stay in such a lovely hotel is never going to be the same, but there was no phone book/hotel guide in my room. So when I tried to call Recpetion I did not know the number, restaurant menu, room service etc. Then the worse bit about my stay, (which has become a bit of a routine for me now) is that I could not have a cup of coffee as there was no kettle, tea/coffee station.

Now as I said this maybe being picky but is something that in these modern days is expected everywhere in the world.

If there was a hotel manual by your telephone and a tea/coffee station then I would be rating this hotel 100%. Service, food, modern clean rooms and a view that money cannot buy, I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the island.

My next visit is going to be new years eve, sat in a room with a balcony watching the most spectacular fireworks in the Med (so I am told) with a bottle (or several) of bubbles!

Room Tip: Ask for a room along the bridge from Reception I think they are level 3 room (315, 316, 317, 319) if...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Clint M
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This was a late booking for a much needed rest with the chance of a little sunshine. I can't believe how lucky I was to have booked the Panoramico Hotel and not one of the concrete blocks down in the Lido area. This was my first visit to Madeira and I was enchanted by it.
The Panoramico is a gem. Perched high on a hill with beautiful views from virtually every corner of the hotel and grounds, the distance from the buzzing centre really isn't an issue and in many respects is a distinct advantage. The hotel has a regular, free shuttle bus, a local bus stops just outside and will take you into town for around £1.40, the walk down is easy and a taxi will only cost you around £4.
All of the staff were delightful, helpful and very patient with my many questions. My room was a very good size with a nice balcony and view and the entire hotel spotlessly clean. Buffet breakfast provided an excellent choice. I was on a B & B basis so that I could sample local restaurants for dinner, though I did have dinner a couple of times at the hot buffet restaurant. I didn't have chance to try the a la carte restaurant but will next time. I had an excellent massage in the wellbeing facility. The ambience there was very calming.
I found out too late that I could've hired a tennis racket and used the practice wall on the tennis court. That's another thing for next time.
The Panoramico really makes the best possible use of the views with lots of little hidden quiet corners, for instance a bench tucked away in one of the garden areas, sunbeds on little flat roofed areas.
It's beginning to sound as though I have a vested interest in this place but I honestly don't. The reverse, I should be keeping it quiet so I can get a room easily when I go back again.. In my many years of holidaying all over the world, I have never before considered going back somewhere a second time but am already making enquiries about my next trip to the Panoramico and probably within the next year.

Room Tip: They all appear to be good.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo