“Nice views but .......”

Madeira Panoramico Hotel
Ranked #23 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We arrived the hotel on schedule and were shown into our rooms after a short wait. My first surprise was that even though we booked for three people and the room had three beds, the cups, duvet, beach towels etc was only for two. Furthermore, having stayed in hotels in Spain, Ireland, US and the UK, it was an unpleasant surprise to be informed that the safe, electric kettle and complimentary tea/coffee had to be rented at a weekly rate!!!

Majority of reception staff were polite and helpful but i found the waiters to be abrupt and somewhat rude! No TAP water was provided at the restaurant even when asked and the head waiter at the buffet restaurant retorted rudely that 'this is Portugal and we don't provide free tap water here' or something along those lines...

Another real issue was the wifi: there was no signal in the rooms and reception staff advised that in order to use these facilities, we had to come out into the lobby!!!

I must however state that the bus driver was courteous and prompt and most of the facilities was as described.

Madeira is a beautiful, picturesque city!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank VAniaku

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

This was our first trip to Madeira and we had booked with thomsons who have so far not let us down.
And again this was a pleasant surprise, the hotel was clean, rooms very nice (we had room 114) safe (at a 10€ cost) towels, toiletries, mini bar and fridge was all included. Staff where friendly and helpful. The pool area was clean and the pool had a good size. The view from this hotel is amazing as it gives you a full view of Funchal, a must by night.
There are many things to do in Madeira and I can only recommend a boat trip to see the dolphins as you are guaranteed to see them and when I say "see" dolphins I mean they come so close you can almost touch them.
The restaurants are bars in Funchal are also great. And overall we had a great weeks holiday and can only recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank K170187
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Hotel with beautiful views of Funchal, ideal for car trips around the island.
We stayed in room 201, the room slightly larger than the other with a large terrace.
Standard equipment, flat screen TV, refrigerator, mini-bar, safe - paid, extra pillows and blankets in the closet, towels, etc. Sunbathing nothing was missing. The room is located in the second building from the side of a fairly busy street but it is not so much a nuisance, views and air compensate for everything. Boarding good. Service in the rooms and throughout the hotel very good.

In the area there are many attractions, you need to go to the center of Funchal. For promenade of hotels around 1.5 km, to a large shopping center about 2.5 km to the city center about 3 km.
At the reception you can hire a car from the rental CarXop, suffice it to say the basis of the car on the selected date and time, you can pay with cash and credit card. Full insurance is included in the price (which shall include windows, wheels and chassis). With respect to other rental is very attractive. I suggest before you go to the reception, spreading price list and you can immediately book.

Special thanks to the hotel staff who remembered my birthday. You're very nice. Thank you very much for the champagne.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VolmerLeon
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Although we had some problems with booking everything was solved according to our requirements. If I compare to other hotels same category - hotel panoramico is really great. Nice clean rooms, helpful staff seemed to be always in positive mood, beautiful view, courtesy bus (9am-6pm- there is also public transport), quiet location, free internet (not very fast but this is not necessary on vacation). I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ilonmark
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This was our first time in Madeira for a two-week holiday. Initially we thought it was too long to spend in a place we had never visited but we managed to do lots in the two weeks. The staff were pleasant, helpful and always available to help. The room was spacious, airy, comfortable beds with enough bedding and clean. The views from the hotel are amazing, we watched the firework displays on the two Saturdays we were there. The open top bus (yellow-bus) and the regular bus stop right outside the hotel. The hotel also has a courtesy bus. There are restaurants nearby with lovely food. The best thing was the location, away from the hustle and bustle of town and the food. The down-side is the barking dogs which I think you cannot blame on the hotel as this is common. Overall we enjoyed the hotels' facilities and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms facing East or the swimming pool are quieter though if you want sunshine in the afternoon choo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Cate_rimo
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel has an overwhelming view over Funchal's bay. You can spend hours enjoying the sight over the hotel's balconies. The rooms are comfortable, the staff is nice and the meals are very good. The hotel is very lively with daily shows.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Miguel R
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I flew into Madeira to join a cruise ship for work and was due to stay overnight. Sadly my company had not booked me any transfers from the airport and the only place I knew was the Panoramico Hotel as I had stayed here before.

I asked Reception for a room and even though it had been over a year since my last visit the Receptionist (Mrs Fernandez - forgotten her first name) remebered me and know that I was with the shipping agency. A room was organised and strangely was the same room as I stayed in before.

This time, I used the hotels restaurant which was actually very nice for a buffett. All the food was hot, well presented and tasty, the wine was also very good and was well needed at his point of my journey.

I know this may be picky, but the second stay in such a lovely hotel is never going to be the same, but there was no phone book/hotel guide in my room. So when I tried to call Recpetion I did not know the number, restaurant menu, room service etc. Then the worse bit about my stay, (which has become a bit of a routine for me now) is that I could not have a cup of coffee as there was no kettle, tea/coffee station.

Now as I said this maybe being picky but is something that in these modern days is expected everywhere in the world.

If there was a hotel manual by your telephone and a tea/coffee station then I would be rating this hotel 100%. Service, food, modern clean rooms and a view that money cannot buy, I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the island.

My next visit is going to be new years eve, sat in a room with a balcony watching the most spectacular fireworks in the Med (so I am told) with a bottle (or several) of bubbles!

Room Tip: Ask for a room along the bridge from Reception I think they are level 3 room (315, 316, 317, 319) if...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business