We booked the hotel through Thomas cook by telephone for our 40th wedding anniversary. We choose to stay for 14 day's and choose to have half board. The hotel was 1st class and the staff were very nice. The description of the hotel is just as it is in the brochure.
Unfortunately, we were embarrassed on two occasions. First we were asked for proof of our anniversary (who carries proof around with them) before they would present us with the fruit, flowers and wine that Thomas Cook stated in there brochure. No mention was made of this by the agent when we booked.(there is no mention of proof being a requirement in the brochure unless it's in the small print). Secondly, at the evening meal on the first night we were presented with a one page menu with two choices of starter, main course and desert. The main course choice was stuffed quail or scabbard fish which neither of us fancied. I ask the waiter why we were not shown the a la carte menu and he informed us that we would have to pay extra for the a la carte choice. We were very embarrassed whilst discussing this with the waiter at the table. We checked what the price of an average 3 course a la carte meal would have been if we hadn't payed for half board and it happened to be the same price as we payed with Thomas Cook for two choices.
So, we had already paid £26pp, before we left home and then had to pay another £9pp on top. We asked the Thomas Cook rep to request our money back for the half board but his reply was that his manager said it was too late to change it.
Thomas Cook do not explain this in there brochure. they state that the hotel has full a la carte on one side of the page and then state that half board is £26pp on the other side. I believe that we were miss sold and that Thomas Cook should amend their brochure to remove any confusion.
I would therefore recommend that anyone thinking of going half board thinks twice and would suggest that they consider a la cart as an alternative when they arrive. The a la carte choice is fairly limited anyway so you may consider eating out to try more variety.
I have filled out a complaints form but have heard nothing yet so I felt that I would inform Trip Advisor so that it may prevent someone else from making the same mistake.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Large Botanical Garden with more them 500 different spices of plants and a variety of pleasant and relaxing areas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TravelUp, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Quinta Jardins do Lago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Jardins Do Lago Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Jardins Do Lago Funchal
- Jardins Lago
- Quinta Jardins Do Lago Madeira/Funchal