The highlight of this hotel for us was the pool area, which is one of the best I've ever been to. The pool itself was large and clean and the loungers very comfortable, not too crowded to get a good seat everyday, and the bar was well stocked and food tasty (especially the chips). It's very quiet in this part of town and with the gardens surrounding the pool you can really feel like you're on another planet. Truly getting away from it all.
That said we found the hotel itself to be a little too old fashioned for our tastes. We were expecting a colonial style of course but some of the decor felt dated, like armchairs that looked like they had been there 20 or 30 years. The hallways look like a 1980s country club and some of the common areas looked a bit 'Golden Girls' -- the clientele when we were there were mostly over 60s so they didn't seem to mind!
There are definite highlights to the place -- it has a lot of character and charm, and the rooms were very big. The tortoise Colombo put a smile on our faces everyday, the fruit at breakfast was superb, the library was a nice touch.
But I feel the need to point out that they are very much charging five-star prices for what is in my opinion a four-star property. For example -- pool tiles that need repairing, a lukewarm hot tub, being charged for the wrong bottle of wine at dinner, not being served tea at breakfast when requested, room key cards that only work on the 5th attempt, awkward to have your neighbours overlooking balconies at very close range -- these are obviously not big problems in life but they were signs to us that the place might not quite hit the five-star mark.
But like I said, that pool area is tops!
And when we needed to change the length of our stay, the manager was accomodating to our request. Also they arranged a very good airport transfer for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Large Botanical Garden with more them 500 different spices of plants and a variety of pleasant and relaxing areas. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Jet2Holidays , Hotels.com, Odigeo, Booking.com, Expedia, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Quinta Jardins do Lago reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quinta Jardins Do Lago Hotel Funchal
- Quinta Jardins Do Lago Funchal
- Jardins Lago
- Quinta Jardins Do Lago Madeira/Funchal