“Good food, interesting experience”
Review of Arsenal

Arsenal
Ranked #329 of 661 Restaurants in Funchal
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We had an excellent meal, and the owner is a very interesting bloke we had an entertaining conversation with. Quick service and reasonable prices.

1  Thank Steven G

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Very cosy and friendly. The food is excelent. Espada fish, tuna or any steak is highly recomended! Lovely placed at Funchal city old town.

1  Thank Henrique T
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I struggled with the concept of eating in somewhere named Arsenal, but don't worry, it's got nothing to do with the Norf Landan football team.

We almost missed the restaurant as it's just off the main track, but were glad we found it. The 3 course set menu was really good value at E13.50- the starter was mozzarella, tomato and herbs, the main course was a choice of fish and the sweets were cheesecake, chocolate mousse and a third option that I can't remember as neither of us chose it. We both tried the espada fish with passion fruit, which I was a bit nervous about but it worked superbly. My wife was extremely impressed with the chocolate mousse which was rich and creamy, and she had it on our return visit as well.

The inside eating area is upstairs and is a simple whitewashed wooden-panelled dining room with a nautical feel. There were pretty flowers in the window-boxes and some interesting photographs on display. And of course you could eat outside - Funchal, even in October, was warm enough to do so.

The owner seems really enthusiastic about his food and certainly didn't impose any hard sell to get us to come in. The waiter was very friendly and attentive without being over-bearing.

My only small gripe was the cost of the beer - it was the imported (if only from Portugal itself) Super Bock but was more than E4 for a 500ml glass, which was more expensive than other places we ate (and drank).

1  Thank mcfcchris
Reviewed 13 November 2013

I have always accepted the way most restaurants try to attract customers into their establishments in Funchal .Almost all of them accept a polite refusal,but this owner is rude and abusive,
How he has avoided a good hiding i do not know.It certainly crossed my mind but good sense took over.
Needless to say i can not comment on the food and drink,and wish him no success at all,
He lets down all the other Maderian restaurants

1  Thank peterl06
Reviewed 7 November 2013

He stops everyone as they go by and doesn't let them go as other reviewers have found. Interestingly enough the adjoining restaurant O Portao was very busy without people being accosted - I suppose some people are gullible. Needless to say I didn't eat there.

1  Thank _vickytaylor48