“The house is worth the admission alone”

Universo de Memorias Joao Carlos Abreu
Ranked #30 of 144 things to do in Funchal
Nuremberg, Germany
124 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“The house is worth the admission alone”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My wife and I really enjoyed this ecclectic little museum. This beautiful 18th century house is full of all kinds of neat stuff that the 78 year old Joao Carlos Abreu has been collecting since he was 16. The walls are covered with a variety of art works and the floors are a work of art all by themselves.

Visited June 2014
4 Thank TourGuide-KEVIN

England, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 213 helpful votes
“Interesting and quirky, a collector's paradise”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

What a treat. This beautiful old building was acquired by the regional government in 2001 with the purpose of displaying the personal collections of ex-tourist minister João Carlos Nunes Abreu. With approximately ten thousand pieces on display collected over many years worldwide they reflect his life as a traveler, journalist and public figure. The collections are interesting, varied and very well presented with each of the 14 rooms covering a different category. At times they are completely zany, especially the ties!
Tea served in china cups in the pretty courtyard afterwards rounds everything off nicely.
Note: Tours are every half hour and cameras are not to be used inside the house.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank queen_mary
Glasgow Scotland
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 223 helpful votes
“Still love it.”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

During our recent holiday it was International Tourism Night(and day). So, on the middle Saturday night we set off to visit this Museum free of charge. I've visited it before, and absolutely loved it. We started with coffee in the lovely tearoom. A different experience at night with a lovely view of the lights twinkling over the bay of Funchal. The tour on that evening was very busy and felt a bit rushed as there were so many people in the small rooms. The guide told us that as part of International Tourism day the house would be open the following day, but, without the tour, so that we could wander around at our pace and take as long as we wanted. So, we went back the following morning and enjoyed everything yet again. Also we had tea( in a lovely china cup and saucer), coffee and a delicious red velvet cupcake. Delicious!
We will be back.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Calderglen
Aarhus, Denmark
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Would like to meet the man behind”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

João Carlos Abreu, the former secretary of tourism and culture of Madeira, is the man behind everything you see at the Universo de Memorias.
He started collecting things at the age of 15 and the collection is truly impressive. Four floors and numerous rooms with silverware, paintings and curiosa from all over the world.
This man must be quite a character with a big appetite for life.

The prize of € 3,50 (€ 2,- if > 65 years or < 25 years) includes a guided tour.
Sit down for a cup of coffee in the café or garden afterwards.
Perfect on a rainy day in Funchal.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank Tanja W
Glasgow Scotland
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 223 helpful votes
“An Amazing Place”
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The second place I visited on World Tourism Day. Straight across the road from Quinta das Cruzes.According to my excellent guidebook the tearoom here is the best place to recharge your batteries for more sightseeing. There was absolutely no mention of the house or its contents. After coffee in the delightful garden tearoom i entered what looked like a very ordinary house for ny tour with the guide. I was the only person doing the tour which tskes place twice an hour, on the hour and half hour. I like my museums quirky and this one takes quirky to a whole new level. As has been said this iis the personal collection of an ex tourist minister and he collected some weird and wonderful things! The various collections are housed in individual rooms and`are all wonderful. The tie room will live in my mind forever. The bathroom can only be described as surreal and I left the museum feeling joyful, uplifted and determined to return, which I definately will. Special mention must be of whoever styled the rooms.
Even a few weeks later when I think of it the word which comes to my mind is psychaedelic.
The tea room is for everyone to enjoy although the collection may not suit all.
my kind of museum!