“Best hotel I've stayed in” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quinta Mirabela

Quinta Mirabela
Ranked #47 of 87 Hotels in Funchal
Turku, Finland
“Best hotel I've stayed in”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2011

This hotel is very modern and classy. We were given a glass of champagne on our arrival, which made us feel very welcomed. The staff was friendly, they booked us a levada walk and gave some tips about nightlife in Funchal. I especially want to say thanks to the restaurant workers - you made our stay perfect with excellent service and friendly attitudes. We ate at the hotel restaurant every night, because we were usually too tired to go anywhere else after our long days of walking around, and because the food was great. The rooms were beautiful, with a nice terrace and bathroom. We used the spa and the gym frequently. When I noticed the jacuzzi wasn't working properly it was fixed right away. The location was in a good place, not too far away from Monte and only a few kilometres down to the city center. We definitely worked up a sweat climbing a steep road, but it was totally ok. The bus stop is actually quite near, so one can take a bus to the town. I recommend this hotel especially to the couples, it is really romantic.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2010

Sorry for the delay but I'm a new kid on Trip Adviser........
I'm not sure what attracted me to the Quinta Mirabela - maybe I liked the pictures and description! 'Small is beautiful', said Schumacher. I like that.
I certainly knew that I did not want the bizz of the Hotel Zone west of Funchal (from previous experience) as I came to Madeira to chill - based on the hotel's reviews at the time and I am fastidious.
Ok - the hotel's located high above the city in, or near, the 'village' of Monte with spectacular views over the city and port. All rooms have this view. Room Service was excellent. Breakfast was adequate enough for me but might disappoint others who expect 'more'. A la carte dining was excellent - with the chef's 'theme' nights, al fresco, a joy. Overall, the staff were wonderful - multilingual, attentive and caring towards visitors' needs at all times - from Reception to dining room to domestic services - and, as usual, I was on first name terms! That's my way.
It's not 'that' long a (downhill) walk to the city but it does tax the joints! Uphill? .. No comment - another matter - and that's why I hired a car which added to the fun.
I came here to be pampered and I was not disappointed. For those who need 'entertained', Funchal is but a taxi ride away!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank BonnyRonnie
Buckingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

Set on a hill, with spectacular views over Fuchal. Only 24 rooms all with bay views. This is the quietest hotel we have ever stayed in. Staff at the hotel are some of the best we have had, everything was well catered for. Be prepared to use taxis, hire a car or use the local bus service (which is very efficent and cheap - get a pass at the bus station). Food at the hotel is good, especially the breakfast. Waiters have a good sense of humour and are always pleased to help. Due to the position of the hotel there were no children staying at the hotel. Most people were young couples or middle aged. There were very few English staying at the hotel. The Spa facilities were good and free as was the gym. Only downside is the relatively small pool for the keen swimmer, however the position and view compensates for the size. if you want a quiet, hassle free holiday select this hotel!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank y_monaghan
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2010

its my secound time in Quinta Mirabela. and my opinion stays the same. its a lovelly cottage locatted bettween the hussle of the city and the forest above. with a superb views over the bays and city, with a private free parking lot. the interior is trendy and sofisticated. they have a gym, outdoor pool and a hamman, jacuzzi and sauna. a Lovely garden with white sheets garden bed hiddens between very old trees and flowers. theres a restaurant and bar with a arabic style interior garden. the rooms are spacious and sofisticated very queen size beds, some of them with small balconies facing the bay, there´s a minibar but it was empty (no even a bottle of water...). the breakfirts is good with goog variety, but for a 5 star acomodation it could be better... the staff are nice and helpfull.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PedroMelo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2009

Just arrived from Madeira and had the greatest experience with Quinta da Mirabela.

It is a small, perfectly located hotel in the Monte - Funchal, from where you have this great view of the bay. At night it feels like you are in the top of a skyscraper and can see all the lights and boats coming in the city.

It was easy to get to the hotel, following the hotel manager's directions, but I advise you to rent a car of get a taxi, as the hotel is located on a very stiff hill. Taxi from the airport is 25€ and you can get a rental car for around 20€.

The rooms are big, full of light and the decoration is modern. The breakfast is good, with enough variety and quality products.

The most positive aspect of my experience was most definitely the staff. They couldn't have been more helpful and nice! We were upgraded from a standard to a superior room with balcony, free of charge. They also gave us free internet access and were always ready to respond to our needs.

It isn't hard to find flaws in any hotel. Quinta da Mirabela isn't perfect, but I consider it to be a top option for those who want to explore the island but also have quiet place to go back too.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JorgeAbreu
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2008

We are a couple in our twenties who wanted a bit of late summer sunshine and chose the Quinta Mirabela due to it being small, modern and away from the main hotel strip.

The staff were helpful enough, although I wouldn't say the service was brilliant. There was at times a lack of staff around - the reception quite often had a phone out with a number to dial for assistance, and if you wanted a drink by the pool or a parasol, again you had to call a number. We requested a parasol on one occassion, and about half hour later it still hadn't turned up so we asked again, then after another half hour we asked a third time, only to be then told the management had said it was too windy for parasols on that day.

We ate at the restaurant twice and found it a little disappointing. The first evening I ordered the risotto which I found sloppy and tasteless. We gave it the benefit of the doubt and ate there a second evening, but my boyfriend couldn't believe it when he was served cold, tinned asparagus as his over-priced starter. We may have just been unlucky on both evenings, but when you are paying high hotel prices for a meal, you expect something a bit better. For the other nights we just got a cab into Funchal to eat.

Lunch at the hotel was rather pricey and nothing to rave about so a few times we walked the 5-10 minute walk up to Rustico which does nice toasties etc for under 5 euros. There is also a nice looking cafe by the bus stop but we didn't go there. There's a cash point near the bus stop too, which is handy if you don't want to go all the way into town for money.

The hotel's pool is freezing, we only braved it once and got straight out, but there's an OK terrace to sunbathe on. There is also a lovely spa with a sauna, steam room and jacuzzi. You have to ask for the sauna and steam room to be switched on, but it only takes about 10 minutes to warm up.

The location of the hotel is nice in that it offers great views, but the hill it is on is very steep. We walked down into town once, but didn't again. We just took taxis or got the bus from the stop nearby, but even the walk back up from the bus stop is hard work!
Taxis to and from town vary from about 7 - 12 euros.

Overall we didn't really have any major problems with the hotel. It is decorated to a high standard and our room was very nice with a balcony overlooking the pool area. I don't think it is quite up to its 5 star rating, but is still a good place to stay as a base for exploring the area.

One last thing - the church nearby WILL wake you up at 8am each morning, so just be prepared for that!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Sequin-Sue
Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2008

We booked The Quinta Mirabella knowing that it was situated on a steep hill a fair distance from the town, we also knew that it had a 5 star rating and that most of the reviews had been generally complimentary.

On arrival the lobby and reception were just as I imagined, modern, clean and tidy and the Manager(who was maning the desk) was friendly and polite and even apologised that our room was not ready, although it was only 11.30am. This was not a problem and we went to the restaurant to have lunch which was great.

My disappointment came when were shown our room, in my opinion it was not clean or comfortable enough to be considered 5 star ( more like 3 star). The carpet ( which we were told had been especially designed) was stained and worn looking, the grouting around the bath was dirty and the furniture appeared to be constructed of MDF type material, cheap looking. I did not say anything that evening but after a night on the hardest, most uncomfortable bed I decided to request a meeting with the manager.

AT the meeting I expressed my opinion, the manager was surprised that I considered the room below standard and even when I pointed out the main problems he was still resistant. Although when I mentioned the bed he said he had had this mentioned many times and that he could sort this out. He also offered to change our room which we did although the alternative was much the same as the first.

To cut a long story short the only solution he had to the bed problem was to put a quilt under the sheet. This did not improve the sitution and my husband was starting to get severe back pain. We decided that we would like to change hotel and contacted our agent who in turn contacted the manager and the outcome was that under no circumstances would any money for the unused nights be returned. The cancellation fee was 100%, therefore if we decided to move we would have to pay twice.

It may seem a small problem and indeed all of the other guests we spoke to were very complimentary about the hotel and had not noticed the hard beds. I feel that the key issue was that despite several request the hotel were unable to sort out, for us, a major problem, and they were not willing to help us enjoy a comfortable holiday in another hotel.

On the plus side the views are amazing, the restaurant very good and the staff very friendly but not a comfortable 5 star hotel.

• Liked — Views
  • Disliked — Bedrooms
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family