Duas Torres
US$140
US$247
US$118
  • Restaurant
Hotel The Cliff Bay(Funchal)
US$282
US$281
US$211
US$146
  • Pool
All reviewsforum shopping centrebus stopself cateringsea viewwifi and air conditioningmadeira forumwarm jacuzzitowels were changed dailyseparate sitting areashower roombig supermarketacross roadpool barsleep qualitynice staywashing up liquidexcellent supermarket
Reviewed 29 December 2009

great value for money hotel. The room was very clean if rather dated (that's why I' ve only given a 3 rating for the room). The service was excellent, the receptionists were very helpful and friendly and the waiter at breakfast was very accommodating, actually getting me freshly boiled eggs (not the ones sat in the basket)! Breakfast was the usual buffet style but had a wide variety of fruit,breads,cheeses,hams and cooked meats. Breakfast was served on the veranda area and the views overlooking the sea were lovely. The pool area also overlooked the sea. The location was about a good 40 minutes walk from centre of Funchal, there was a courtesy bus from the hotel but local buses were frequent and cheap (get a ticket on the bus for one journey and then take the ticket into newsagents and top it up with however many journeys you want). We flew in with TAP Portugal and if you keep your boarding card you can get a free transfer from the airport to Funchal with the aerobus. It drops you off almost opposite the hotel (across the other side of the road). There is a new shopping centre just across the road (The Madeira Forum) which stays open until 11pm each night. Also just across the road from the hotel is a coffee shop (mentioned in a previous review) which serves the best coffee in Madeira and you must try the pastries, they are yummy!
We didn't eat during the evening at the hotel however a lot of local families did so the food must have been good. We found a lovely restaurant about 20 minutes walk down the road heading towards Funchal centre. It's called L'Osteria and is on Rua Casa Branca. The menu was varied and reasonably priced (12-14 euros for a main course) with the wine extremely good value for a restaurant, we had a bottle of very good red at 12 euros. The food was so good that we ate there for four nights out of our seven night stay and on our last night there they gave us the bottle of red we had ordered free as a thank you for our custom!
We did 3 levada walks whilst we were there and used the local bus service each time. However there are walks which can only be done by using a tour or taxi as they are not on the bus routes. This can work out expensive as the guided walks charge 30 euros per person.
Madeira is a beautiful island, the people are friendly and we still have a lot of levadas to walk so plan on returning soon and will stay at the Duas Torres.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WilburS
Reviewed 4 November 2009

We did not expect too much having paid just over £25 per night. However, we were delighted to find that we had a brilliant seaview regularly sat on the balcony having breakfast and watched the beautiful sunrise. We used the pool several times although it was a bit cold but we appreciated it was late October early November. The room was basic but more than adequate and had a microwave, 2 ring hob and fridge. The towels and tea towel were changed on a daily basis. There is a shopping mall directly across the street and we regularly used the well stocked supermarket located to the rear of the Mall. We tended to walk into Funchal which was a brisk 30 minutes. However, there is a bus stop right outside the Hotel. The Hotel bar was reasonably priced and you can hire a safe deposit box for £6 per week. We had a great stay and would not hesitate to recommend the Hotel to anyone on a budget. We booked our airport transfer through resorthopper which worked really well.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DancalEngland
Reviewed 24 October 2009

We were her in april this year for 10 days. Exellent stay. Good location. Bus stop next to the hotel. Restaurant very good. Staff was exellent. Only complain is the plumbing. We always heard when somone used the bathroomson upper floors!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2009

I have just spent an enjoyable week in Madeira.

I travelled from the airport to Duas Torres via the SAM bus (free for TAP Portugal passengers upon arrival, but €5 for the return) which stopped opposite the complex.

I 'stayed in a 'twin-bedded' spacious apartment which had stunning uninterrupted sea views - just couldn't believe my eyes (and all for under £35 per night). The apartment was spotless, so I have no complaints. I also enjoyed my regular morning swim and often had the pool to myself.

I used the complex's courtesy bus when possible (it's only a minibus, so it's best to arrive about 15 minutes before the departure time, in order to get a seat). I often walked back to the complex, stopping off at gardens enroute.

Before travelling to Madeira, I kept finding articles which said there were no beaches or only one. This is not the case. I sent to a beach in the centre of Funchal, right next to the pier and I also found similar 'small' beaches.

I would definitely stay in this complex again and currently planning next year's visit.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank Cressida
Reviewed 5 August 2009

The room was okay, nothing impressive, but at that price I guess you can't expect more. I enjoyed the stay and the view over the sea was amazing. The staff were very quiet, but kind. You can easily walk to the inner city from the hotel and there's a shopping mall just across the street.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends