“Well located. Beds poor”
Review of Do Centro Hotel

Do Centro Hotel
Ranked #78 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

Excellent location in centre of town. I would struggle to give this 3 stars though. Pillows were cheap and lumpy. Beds had waterproof plastic under normal sheets. Made sleeping difficult and uncomfortable. Other than that it was clean but basic.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 7 January 2013

We stayed in this hotel over Christmas. The staff are helpful, the decor is a little dated but rooms were very clean and the bed fairy even came and made the beds on Christmas day. My only minor niggle is that there was only one power socket in the room. It wasn't really a problem but a couple more would have removed the need to swap things round for charging.

As other reviewers mention, the breakfast leaves something to be desired. It is very basic continental breakfast fare of bread, ham and cheese. Pretty boring but there was nothing actually wrong with the food that was there.

The location really is superb. Right in the heart of Funchal within easy walking distance of the waterfront, old quarter, cable car etc. We hired motorbikes while we were there and were allowed to park them in the secure car park at the Windsor hotel with absolutely no fuss or cost.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel, unless you want lobster for breakfast or demand ultra contemporary styling for some reason.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Danny P
Reviewed 13 November 2012

This hotel is perfectly located for a tourist who wants to pop out for a walk any time of the day and be immediately among the normal town life of Madeira. Everything is within walking distance.

It is a clean and friendly hotel; room is of good size as well as bathroom. Special thanks to the personnel at the reception, very nice people you are. One thing I would like to alter if possible - the breakfast needs updating. Luckily there are plenty of cafes in the near vicinity of this property.

I would return if and when visiting Madeira again.

Room Tip: From room 406 you could see the mountains and the sea and the cruise lines coming in and out of Func...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Arja B
Reviewed 10 August 2012

This is a 30 room hotel, one of two hotels being run by the same group, the other is the Windsor Hotel, literally just around the corner. It's centrally situated in Madeira's vibrant capital Funchal. On my arrival I was given a room on the 5th floor (Rm 504): a generous double room for single occupancy. The bathroom once again generous, had the usual facilities: bath tub/shower, sink, toilet and bidet. No qualms with the cleanliness, as with the whole hotel. Unfortunately, and this is the first time something like this has happened to me; my first two nights were near sleepless. The first night I thought I might get used to it - the noise, the second night proved me wrong. Somewhere, and none of the staff were able to establish from whence it came, there was a humming noise which would start for about 15 minutes, stop and then start again after about 45 minutes, throughout the night. Staff were assuming it the air conditioning of a neighbouring store. Nonetheless a member of staff managed to find me another room. This time on the 1st floor (Rm 103), so nearer to street level (and yes it was a little louder). The room standard was the same, just a tad smaller but I lived with that for the rest of my holiday - all 11 nights (the air-conditioning unit successfully blocked out all other disturbing noise). I had booked just bed & breakfast. Breakfast was very rudimentary and unimaginitive: three sorts of cereals in a dispenser (hygienic), cheese and processed ham, an assortment of jam, butter, four kinds of bread rolls, two different juices (but all of this, the same every day). The coffee was not exactly "heart-popping" but it was hot and was of fairly good taste. It's a shame really. .

In summary and despite all of the aforementioned: A clean, centrally located and for its location, fairly quiet hotel. The staff are friendly and go out of their way to help. All staff I spoke to had a very good command of not just English but at least one more language i.e. Netherlands, French, Spanish, German, and I'm sure several more ...

If you want clean, fairly cheap and centrally located, this is your hotel ...

Room Tip: I've visited Madeira three times and stayed at three different hotels, so I do have a comparison...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Roque56
Reviewed 12 February 2012

This a a good basic hotel, clean and cheap and very central. The reception staff speak good English. The hotel breakfast is limited and the coffee is poor, but as the room was so cheap we went out for a better breakfast at the budget cafe two doors down. The hotel don't take credit or debit cards, but there is a cash machine in the supermarket next door. The staff can only provide a limited amount of tourist information. You can use the hotel internet for 1 euro, but it doesn't let you download bus timetables.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Marci288
Reviewed 26 December 2011

The hotel was clean, room not too small. The beds are being renewed, our was ok but a bit hard for my husband.
About the breakfast I had read it was poor. So it was. I had a word with someone responsible and after that the coffee was much better. But not the bread so far, yet in the shop next door you can have good bread. And fresh orange juice for a small amount!
We have been many times to Madeira and this time we wanted to be in the center and it was fine. Week before X-mas is just fun! Everybody is out, the town is beautifully decorated with thousands of lamps and flowers and music. For us Scandinavians it is almost too much...

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank UppsalaEva19
Reviewed 31 May 2011

This was our second holiday in Madeira. We had stayed in the hotel district and this time we wanted to stay right in the centre of Funchal. This certainly was central. The hotel is basic and clean and the staff were friendly. We were half board and ate breakfast in this hotel. Again it was basic simple food. Evening meal in their sister hotel a few paces away. The waiting staff and the chef were welcoming. It was a limited menu. I am a vegetarian and they tried to accommodate my needs with cheese salad most evenings, There is a large supermarket next door to the Centro where you can buy a wide range of food and drink. Despite this, the area was reasonably quiet for a city centre hotel. I can't remember exactly what we paid, but it was very good value for money.

Room Tip: We had a room at the front which was fine.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple