We stayed here a week during new year of 2014. The hotel was included in a package tour including flights and guide services. In our budget we had two hotels to choose from, this and Duas Torres. After reading TripAdvisor reviews we reserved Buganvilia.
I have accustomed to the fact that the cheaper package tour hotels are a little bit worn out and old. Usually I tend to give average rating to these hotels because the trip is a bargain and you are not spending much of your time in the room anyway. The facts that you have to use normal key instead of a keycard or that you will get only one key to the room are not problems for me. The bland breakfast with no variety was to be expected. I ignored the rudeness of staff (excluding wonderful and lovely Barbara). And what if the balcony is facing the parking area and building site - not everyone can get the sea view. The gym has no ventilation, is built next to the indoor pool causing humidity to be 100% and has equipment which is old, rusty and falling apart - but hey, is someone really expecting that these kinds of hotels would have a real gym?
And the hotel has some good sides as well. For sun worshippers there are two outdoor pool areas and there is an indoor pool and jacuzzi. Barbara in the reception is a real sunshine. You can use free wi-fi in the lobby. Rooms are clean and spacious and include a kitchenette. And of course, the location is fine. But then again, the tourist zone in Lido is not that big. One could argue that all the hotels in the area have a good location. After all, there seems to be only hotels and restaurants in the Lido area.
There were only two things that caused me to drop my rating from average:
First one was the bathroom. It would not dry at all. If you left your towel hanging in the bathroom it would still be wet the next day. If you wanted to use the toilet in the evening, your feet would get wet because the dribbled water after a morning shower was still there. Usually bathrooms have some kind of ventilation system, this had none.
The second issue was the soundproofing, more specially the lack of it. Our room was 103. The hallways are built in a way that everything echoes in them and the room door has a big gap under it. So basically we heard everything that was going on in the lobby area. Apparently this is not an issue if you have a room from the upper floors.
Anyway, our holiday in Madeira was wonderful and the hotel was mostly what we expected. This being said, if we ever come back we definitely try some other hotel. There is nothing special in this one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel located close to the promenade. Offers facilities like indoor and outdoor pools, tennis court, spa and wifi. Studio apartments with balcony and kitchenette. Shuttle bus to city center. Restaurante/bar open untill 2 am. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Alpha Holidays Limited, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, LateRooms, Expedia, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelsClick, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dorisol Buganvilia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dorisol Buganvilia Funchal
- Dorisol Buganvilia Madeira/Funchal