“Best restaurant in town”
Review of Restaurante Planka

Restaurante Planka
Reserve with
Restaurante Planka is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 735 Restaurants in Funchal
Price range: US$6 - US$34
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Some of our specialities are served on hot Oak Planks. The hot Oak Planka maintain a nice temperature of the food during the time the meal is consumed but without any further cooking. Pay us a visit and you will be able to enjoy the best view Funchal has to offer while eating tasty meals prepaired with (antibiotic and groth hormone free) veal so called "Carne Mirandesa". If your preference is fish then we sugest our specialties, the wonderful Tuna fish grilled on charcoal grill or the Oven Baked Cod fish or the salmon. Our wines are carefully choosen and of high quality and taste. For reservations visit our website or call us directly.
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

5 stars for this restaurant.

10 minutes in the taxi and every minute worth it.

We had t bone and lamb were outstanding good.

For starter the soup and sausages are very very good.

Friendly staf and good wine!

I love this restaurant.

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

Spectacular view overlooking Funchal. We went to view the fireworks and for a birthday treat. Jose made the evening so special. The food is lovely, very Portuguese with interesting flavours. Jose explains the menu so you know what to expect but also making it hard to choose! I had bread soup which was unlike any soup I'd had before and it was delicious. The orange cake was so light, one of the vest desserts I've had. There is a vegetarian section to choose from too. Jose has a great wine selection and offered advice on which to choose. The service was excellent. After the meal we went on to the roof terrace where Jose had set up a table so we could watch the firework display. He also gave us a bottle of fizz to help celebrate my brother in law's birthday. It was a fantastic evening. Jose went above and beyond to make the evening perfect. It's a stunning place and well worth a visit. Thank you for a most memorable evening.

Reviewed 21 June 2018

After reading reviews on Tripadvisor about this restaurant we decided to visit whilst on holiday in Funchal. We were not disappointed..... a very helpful host who explained each item on the menu in detail. The food was equally as good as explained to us & together with a stunning views over Funchal it had all ingredients of a wonderful evening. It is only a 10- 15 minutes journey by taxi to the restaurant but well worth the journey. We will return.

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

Well, being of the generation where all meals are immediately photographed and placed on social media, the fact we didn’t didn’t waste time to picture our meals but dug straight in, speaks for itself!

Every dish was delicious. My partner had the sausage on toast to start (which I unashamedly stole) and I had the stuffed mushrooms. The only (very small) criticism would be that whilst my partner had probably 6 or so sausages, I was only blessed with 3 small mushrooms. Perhaps this was for my own good, as they were incredibly tasty and I could have eaten a whole platter full.

For the main, my parter had the mixed grill, plenty of meat, all tenderly cooked. I had the veal with a creamy mushroom sauce. I’m pretty sure the noises I was making while eating it were completely inappropriate, but to quote my partner ‘it is one of the best meals I’ve had’.

Following the mains up with the lightest chocolate mousse on the island and some cookies and ice cream means we’re now fans for life.

If it wasn’t for the fact we’re only here for 10 days and feel we HAVE to try other restaurants, we’d be going back every night. We’ve already decided we’ll eat here on our last night to ensure the holiday ends with the best food Madeira has to offer.

Sadly the restaurant was undeservedly quiet, being up in the hills and not in peak season, but I promise the 10 minute journey out of the city is more than worth it. Both our waiter and the host were extremely welcoming without being intrusive.

The view is spectacular. Enjoy!

P.S. Follow the bus route to get to the restaurant. The manager gave us this tip after our gps took us up one of the steepest, longest hills on the island to get there.

Reviewed 1 June 2018

I was part of a group of 20 golfers so we pre-booked this restaurant several weeks before our visit. When we got there we were greeted by the owner Jose and encouraged to visit the top terrace to see the view from there. We weren't disappointed the view was fantastic and can't imagine there will be a better view of Funchal.

Jose gave us his recommendations before we ordered and ran through some of the key items on the menu explaining how the food was prepared. His description of the Black Scabbardfish in particular was intriguing! He also recommended two great wines, one red and one white.

The evening was perfect, food was great and obviously with a group of 20 the variety of food ordered was immense but I can recommend the Bread Soup to start with and the Tuna for the main course. By the way I thought the menu was very varied and offered something for all tastes.

On the same day we visited the Restaurant, two of our group had Birthdays so I had pre-arranged with Jose to have two Birthday cakes available. Just like all the food in the Restaurant the cakes were locally sourced and of excellent quality. At the end of the night the Restaurant lights were dimmed and the cakes were brought out separately. A perfect end to a perfect night.

I would recommend you take a visit while you are in Madeira. Book a taxi as its up a mountain but the views are very worthwhile and to be honest it's not that far from the centre of Funchal. Jose will make you feel relaxed and just enjoy the experience, we were there over three hours but we went through three courses, about 16 bottles of wine, of course 2 Birthday cakes and a few speeches!