We researched at length to find somewhere that would be suitable for both myself (20s) and my mother (60s) sharing a room. We were both very happy with the choice. Everything was spotlessly clean throughout the hotel, and all reception staff were very helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet stay - it's definitely not a hotel for kids or rowdy youngsters as there's nothing to keep them entertained.
Surprisingly convenient, although it is quite far from Funchal compared to those in the Lido area.. the benefit of this is that it's quieter and we had a view over banana plantations instead of into other people's rooms. The hotel sold us a 3 day (others were available) unlimited bus pass for EUR9.50, valid for town buses which are reasonably regular. On arrival we missed the Aerobus and so got the express bus into Funchal, then hopped into a taxi which cost 8 Euros. All tour buses picked up/dropped off outside the hotel.
We had an early booking deal through their website - we booked a studio side-sea view for £40 per night room-only, and were upgraded to a 1 bed apartment, which was quite lovely. The only downside was the lack of kettle, and lack of ability to borrow one. Also there was no corkscrew (cheap supermarket wine is surprisingly nice!) Apart from that, lots of storage, fridge, microwave, electric hob, plenty of pans/dishes, and a glass balcony with a view of part-sea, part-plantations. A lot of hotels didn't offer air-conditioning, but we found in July it was warm enough to warrant it and so were pleased this was available without charge. Use of the electronic safe was a nominal 1.50Euros per day.
Relaxing ambience. Pools pleasant, a few kids splashing around but not being noisy, and lots of space to comfortably swim lengths. Outdoor pool was a good temperature, indoor pool deeper and cooler and more geared up to proper swimming. The jacuzzi was really relaxing, but steam room/sauna were on a request-only basis when I visited and I couldn't be bothered to wait. Near-impossible to catch a sun lounger even when the hotel seemed quiet, but this didn't bother me.
I can't say we were impressed with the tourist restaurants, but the Forum Shopping Centre was lovely, and there's a superb little diner/restaurant on the top floor which serves good value food. (The other good meal I had was at the cheap-looking restaurant right next to the tour kiosks at the marina. Incredible squid!) We also had a nice bowl of ice-cream at Madeira Magic tea-rooms on our walk back from the Lido area one evening.
It seemed quiet everywhere, both in Funchal and the hotel, so there was very little atmosphere and I would've been disappointed if I'd expected good nightlife at the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Residence welcomes you to a enchanting 4-star hotel in an excellent location on the south coast of Madeira. Overlooking the sea and some imposing cliffs, the opportunities for fantastic sunsets are offered every day during your holidays. Once inside, the hotel is built with many open spaces to make the most of the natural light and a modern and luxurious design with comfortable and functional public areas to rest, relax, read or socialize with your fellow guests. The atmosphere is complete with the panoramic sea views and some of the banana plantations still existing in Funchal. More than a hotel, at the Golden Residence you will find the perfect solution for a holiday where well-being and relaxation will take on a new meaning for you. The excellent service and careful attention for small detail is what makes the difference. ... and we encourage you to discover its many charms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , LoveHolidays, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Golden Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Residence Apartment Funchal
- Hotel Golden Residence Apartment
- Golden Residence Madeira/Funchal