We stayed in this hotel for 12 days. Its situated in a quiet part of the town with lovely views of the nearby cliffs. The only negative thing I could say is that the Hotel has a bit of a strange set up, as it is divided into 3 blocks. You have to cross a road to get from the reception to the pool/restaurant area. Also you can have a bit of a trek when using some of the Hotel's facilities, as they were divided between the different blocks. Everything else is positive. The staff are very helpful and multi lingual. The Hotel is very modern and clean with a chilled out vibe. The breakfast is excellent, catering for all tastes. It has a nice pool area in lovely surroundings.
If you want to hire a car just ask at reception and they will organise it with the car being delivered to the hotel- very easy and convenient. Also there is a bus stop just outside the reception (bus no 2) or alternatively try the bus stop on the main road outside Block A. You can pay in cash, use a GIRO card (which can be topped up if you can find a machine to do this!) or alternatively reception sell day passes etc.
When I booked this hotel I was aware that it was a good bit out from the city centre but I didn't realise just how far. It takes a good hour to walk to the Old Town, which is not normally a problem for me but its not so good if when its hot! You really need to use the bus. If you want to stay within the Hotel Zone you can easily do this by foot.
Funchal itself is not a party town but if you want a relaxing safe holiday with a decent choice of restaurants, shops, museums etc, this is the place to go for a chill out holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Residence welcomes you to a enchanting 4-star hotel in an excellent location on the south coast of Madeira. Overlooking the sea and some imposing cliffs, the opportunities for fantastic sunsets are offered every day during your holidays. Once inside, the hotel is built with many open spaces to make the most of the natural light and a modern and luxurious design with comfortable and functional public areas to rest, relax, read or socialize with your fellow guests. The atmosphere is complete with the panoramic sea views and some of the banana plantations still existing in Funchal. More than a hotel, at the Golden Residence you will find the perfect solution for a holiday where well-being and relaxation will take on a new meaning for you. The excellent service and careful attention for small detail is what makes the difference. ... and we encourage you to discover its many charms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Expedia, Alpha Holidays Limited, LoveHolidays, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Golden Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Residence Apartment Funchal
- Hotel Golden Residence Apartment
- Golden Residence Madeira/Funchal