Pros: All the things that matter-Excellent apartment, spotlessly clean. Roomy with loads of storage space. Bathroom first class with instant hot water. Comfortable bed. Staff were all very helpful and friendly. Location is good near a long promenade and on a regular bus route to Funchal with a stop right outside the door.
Cons: A few small niggles- Lottery as to which side of the hotel you are on. Both sides have sea views, but one faces more or less South East over a banana plantation, so sun all day and peaceful. The other (we were on) facing more or less North West over a street (cul de sac), so just a glimpse of the sun as it sets in late afternoon (Feb) and the delight of recycling collections at 3 am and early bottle deliveries to the hotel. Choice of English TV channels not great (just Sky news really), although there seem to be dozens of German ones. Had to ask for a kettle which is odd not to have one as standard. You will also need to take your own corkscrew and an egg cup (Now that is getting picky if I'm down to complaining about the lack of an egg cup !!)
Food: not tempted by the hotel offerings but there are restaurants nearby and two supermarkets in easy walking distance if you want to do some self catering.
Overall I would certainly stay there again, but perhaps request a room on the sunny side (even numbers) and not forget to pack my egg cup. (I bought a very pretty hand painted one in Funchal, the only one I could find, and it cost me a fiver !! Portuguese obviously not big into boiled eggs.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Residence welcomes you to a enchanting 4-star hotel in an excellent location on the south coast of Madeira. Overlooking the sea and some imposing cliffs, the opportunities for fantastic sunsets are offered every day during your holidays. Once inside, the hotel is built with many open spaces to make the most of the natural light and a modern and luxurious design with comfortable and functional public areas to rest, relax, read or socialize with your fellow guests. The atmosphere is complete with the panoramic sea views and some of the banana plantations still existing in Funchal. More than a hotel, at the Golden Residence you will find the perfect solution for a holiday where well-being and relaxation will take on a new meaning for you. The excellent service and careful attention for small detail is what makes the difference. ... and we encourage you to discover its many charms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Jet2Holidays , Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Ebookers so you can book your Golden Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Residence Apartment Funchal
- Hotel Golden Residence Apartment
- Golden Residence Madeira/Funchal