“40th Wedding anniversary(ruby)” 5 of 5 bubbles

Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive
durrington sussex
“40th Wedding anniversary(ruby)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

Well I was a bit apprehensive going here because there were a lot of mix reviews mainly about the food,I will have to say that yes the buffet food is (this is our opinion)only good at breakfast/lunch it could very well be ok for everyone else. We decided after the first day (1st oct) we would have our evening meals in the pizzeria and our special meal in the 17.50euros extra resturant very very nice would recommend to do this one at least once.On our anniversary we did go and have the special we even cooked our meal ourselves never done that before.
On the first evening we arrived,we never had a chance to look around the complex so didn't know there was anything different to what we had seen in the Thomson brochures and on the web.

After we had our evening meal decide to look around complex it was dark outside and didn't relaise that there was a lazy river going round the swimming pool(which is not shown on photos of hotel by Thomson or hotel) and promptly fell in hurt my knee and arm. But I did give my family at home a good laugh.

I spoke to Mario the Thomson rep regarding this ad he filled in a report,as I didn't have E111 card couldn't go to clinic.

Porto santo is a remarkable place, went on a Jeep tour our guide had wonderful knowledge of the place having lived there all his life. There is no hospital on island you are airlifted to Maderia please remember to get a E111 card before you leave it covers you for five years,we were told you don't need one by Thomson but you do this is why I had no treatment for my leg. The Jeep tour I would highly recommend as there is no other way to see the island and I would like to thank Mario for getting me a front seat due to my leg. Those of you who know Mario he will be back next year but alas Andrew won't .

The Hotel is surberb the swimming pool is the biggest I've seen and apart from the buffet resturant the others are excellent. You can get a bed round the pool during the time we were there(1-8 oct)we had a lovely room on the ground floor up in block five this is the quitest area although the whole place is well laid out and everything is immaculate,you could be anywhere in complex and you wouldn't here any music from disco as it finishes quite early,but saying that I wasnt there in August so it may go on longer and I have to say like other reviewers there pillows on bed where extremely GOOD!!!! Had the best sleep ever.

I didn't eat in the bar near swimming pool because we prefer the other resturants, they don't have drinks like Baileys, Port, Mailbu and a few other well known drinks we have over here,but I will say you can have sangria in red,white or rose wine and this is scummy.

The beach is 7miles long and the only one on the island the island itself is smaller than the isle of wight/man it is only 7 by 4 in all get around in 3hrs with stops on Jeep.

In all I loved this holiday even though I had mishap on first day, would love to go back I will say room service is very expensive so are the beds on beach,but the beach is a lovely walk into town only takes forty five mins to walk and the beach is good for your feet/body as its got minerals in it.

There is plenty to do in this hotel you have a indoor swimming pool as well as outside ones,there is a play area for children and also as we found on the day before we left a table tennis table,to beable to play must go to reception to get bats and ball this can be found over by the children's are back of swimming pool(indoor).when you arrive the next day you have a welcome meeting which tells you all about hotel and trips also where this takes place is the evening entertainment and there is also a pool table,and you meet Mario he is one of the most outstanding reps I have ever seen,he has this area where you can leave unwanted items you don't want to take back to uk and if you have left something behind he may have it in his swop shop also you can swop books and leave magazines. I am so glad he is returning next year one of the greats Thomson need more like him.This hotel caters for very young to the older generation give it ago,in my opinion is is five stars all the way.

Room Tip: If you want quite stay in blocks 4,5,7,8 all at the top end,but I'm sure anywhere would be fine.
6 Thank coral-58-y
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Dear Mrs Jean,

Thank you very much for visiting us and for posting your review on TripAdvisor. It is very important for us and for future travellers.

All your informations were very usefull because gave a complete idea of the resort for future travellers.
It´s through guest feedback such as yours, that we are able to confirm our strong points, as well as identify any area that may require improvement. Therefore your participation has been extremely important and gratifying to us.

It was real pleasure having you as our Guest and to being of service, and we look forward to your next visit and to offering you more ‘Memorable Moments’.

Our kindest regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (656)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Dagenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2012

We spent 2 weeks here for my birthday and our wedding anniversary. (Thank you for my birthday cake!) We got a free upgrade to a suite and it didnt dissapoint! The hotel , the pools, the bars and restuarant cannot be faulted. The staff are so happy and so friendly and helpful, there are some real stars there. The beach is stunning and the sand is like silk, we spent every day at the beach.
The drinks are not watered down, unlike some all inclusive resorts and you would never go hungry!! The grounds are so well kept with some stunning gardens, and everything was so clean.
What a shame that some people ignore the dress code for the main bar and restuarants.
Will go back for sure, the weather was great and only a 3 hour flight and a quick transfer is a bonus.
Thank you to all the staff, we had a brilliant holiday!

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade, all the rooms are nice but there are some massively larger rooms and big bed...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TOADY26
Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting Pestana Porto Santo Beach Resort & Spa and for posting a fantastic review about your experience and description of the island.

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to join our loyalty program Pestana Priority Guest which is available at our website

Morpeth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

We spent a week at Prestana Porto Santo in mid October 2012.We could not fault this hotel the staff could not do enough for you.The hotel was flantastic with all the facilities kept clean and well maintained,we will be booking again next year

7 Thank NORMAN S
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive, responded to this review, 27 October 2012
Dear Mr "NORMAN S",

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Pestana Porto Santo, Thank you.

I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will be encouraged by your remarks.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we look forward to serving you next year.

Irvine, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

Sorry for the long review, but it's such a wonderful place.

From the very start its obvious that Porto Santo and the Pestana are something a little bit special. On the flight and short coach trip everyone is going to the same hotel, so friendships are easily formed. The management greeted us from the coach and check in was fairly quick and simple. The luggage is left outside and taken to your room, very quickly. We were upgraded free of charge and the extra room was greatly welcome. The rooms are modern, clean, fantastic size and the beds excellent.

The resort is very compact and we could easily nip back to the room if something was forgotten (with two kids this happens a lot). The staff are all very friendly and very welcoming (unlike somemore etsablished resorts, they seem to value the customer).
The restaurant was good, decent choice, with the 'show cooking' i.e 3 different meals cooked freshly each night were particulary good. To those reviewers complaing about choice of food I can't really understand it. A tip from myself would be, eat lunch at the poolside restaurant/snackbar - great food and it means you save the main buffet for breakfast and evening. Waiting staff very attentive and wine glass always topped up. There is also a beach bar which is great and saves trekking back to the pool for a cool drink.

The beach is simply amazing, the sand so soft and we loved it. The kids spent hours 'body boarding' and we walked along the beach a few times to the town (an hour, but that was us playing as we walked).

We did the jeep safari (I will review it seperatley) - excellent way to see the island and get some knowledge of the surroundings.

There were lots of small things that unlike other AI resorts made a difference, such as unlimited beach towels, as many botles of water as you liked.

The entertainment does need addressed, the quality is good and the costumes excellent, but its the same show in a different guise each night. Lovely entertainment area, with a great lounge and 'library'. The kids club was great.

Mario and Andrew the reps were fantastic, with Mario's 'swap shop' for beach toys and lotions a great help.

Flight times excellent and with such a short trip to the hotel, we were by the pool at 11.30am. The mangaement were all on hand to wave the coaches away.

I lost my iphone on the 2nd day,but it was returned by the taxi driver. Not many places in the world that would happen

A fantastic resort and a wonderful islandwhich we will be returning to. I'm hoping Thomson decide to operate all year round flights as the islanders and relying on the tourists.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank kcochrane9
Dear Guests,

We appreciate your comments regarding your visit at Pestana Porto Santo Beach Resort & Spa.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and we hope to have the opportunity in the near future to welcome you again.

wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

I have just returned from a 2 week stay at the Pestana Porto Santo from 8th -22nd October with my husband and 3 year old son and I cannot rate this resort highly enough! We had a brilliant holiday! We travelled with Thomson and chose to go in October which we do not normally do due to the fact we got a free child place. We paid 2040.00 all inclusive for the 3 of us for 2 weeks which I think was a brilliant deal for the standard of this resort. We booked last December and I would urge anyone to book early as we noticed the price increased dramatically later on!
On arrival we were upgraded to a suite which was immaculate with a mssive 7 foot bed, tv in the bedroom, 2 bathrooms, pull out bed and living area as well as another TV and DVD player which was brilliant for my little boy.
The staff at this hotel( and I mean each and every one of them ) were always so helpful and polite and made our stay very enjoyable. I would especially like to thank liza, thomas, cici and lucia who constantly kept my little one entertained! as did the waiters and bar staff.
The rooms, pool areas, bar areas, restaurants and grounds of the hotel were kept spotless throughout our stay.
The weather was fabulous in the first week but more mixed in the second and went a lot cooler although we still enjoyed it. I would recommend this as a perfect time of year for anyone to stay with youngsters.
There were plently of activities such as volleyball, water polo, darts and french bowls for anyone wanting to participate.
I found the food to be good. There was always plenty of choice and we particularly liked the italian and tended to eat there most nights as there was no retrictions on how many times you could go.
The beach is gorgeous and never crowded so we regularly took a walk along there.
The only excursion we did was the jeep safari and I would highly recommend this to see the island (which is only very small).
Mario the Thomson rep was one of the best reps I have come across.
Overall I would highly recommend the resort. It was a quiet and relaxing two weeks. There is very little to do outside the resort but this suited us. We took a trip to the town one day which only has a few shops and bars and took a walk along the pier.
We would definately like to return in the future. Thank you to everyone at the Pestana Porto Santo for a wondeful stay.

Room Tip: Dont pay for a room upgrade as we got one for free on arrival.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank LKTD
Dear Customer,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Pestana Porto Santo Beach Resort & Spa.

About the room upgrade, just happen because we haven't more standard rooms. In case a Guest want a upper level room should pay a supplement.

Staines, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at the resort. It was just what the doctor ordered, total rest and relaxation. As like many other reviews, we found the resort very clean, great facilities and very friendly staff. It was the friendliest resort we have been to in years. A fantastic location, feet away from a pristine beach. We had no problems finding sunbeds or tables in the dining room. Porto Santo must be one of the last holiday destinations which appears not to be ruined by the tourist trade....yet. A lovely island.
Our room was lovely, clean and quiet. We hardly heard or saw our neighbours. Although the bed was very spacious I found it to be very hard and uncomfortable. The (many) pillows were too soft for the bed. Not a good combination, especially for someone like me who suffers from back pain.
The only other complaint I have is the quality of food served. Yes there was a good variety of food served in the main dining room but I found the majority of hot food to be flavourless, (thank goodness for the garlic sauce which helped to add flavour.) Again I found the puddings to be of poor quality and bland. The food in the Dunas bar was adequate but I would recommend the pizzas at the Italian Restaurant.
Overall, I would definately recommend this resort but I would not rate it as a 5* resort mainly due to the quality of food along with other minor complaints. This is a good 4* resort with great facilities.

Unfortunately my husband was taken ill on the first night of our holiday which resorted in him having to spend the majority of the next day at the Medical Centre situated 5 minutes drive away. I can not praise the medical attention received from the doctors and nurses highly enough. We are grateful to them that my husband was able to make a full recovery and continue with our holiday a few days later. Please make sure you have E111 cards. This will save you over 200 euros in medical fees. We are also thankful to Carlos, one of the Resort Managers who helped make my husbands stay during his illness more comfortable.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mrs_W514
Dear Customer,

Thank you for visiting Pestana Porto Santo Beach Resort & Spa and for posting your comments on TripAdvisor.

Regarding your comments about the confort of the bed i took note to verify in the near future what we can improve.

Guests feedback is very important for us because give us the opportunity to confirm our strong points, as well as identify any area that may require improvement.

Brighstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

We spent a week at Pestana Porto Santo and came back 22nd October. We can honestly say we have never experienced such welcoming happy staff who were only too pleased to help you and ensure you were satisfied. The complex was fantastic with all facilities kept clean and well maintained.The restaurant was at all times well staffed, our glasses were never left empty, plenty of food options to cover all tastes and there was always staff to advise you on the food which we have to say we couldn't fault. Our room was amazing plenty of room, air con and a terrace to sit out on. The Island is stunning if you are looking for a quiet away from it all where you will feel welcome and free to do what you want when you want this is the place to visit.

4 Thank acolson62
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your visit at Pestana Porto Santo.