“An amazing holiday at a beautiful resort”

Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive
Berkshire, United Kingdom
“An amazing holiday at a beautiful resort”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We returned on Monday after spending two weeks at Pestana Porto Santo and it really was an amazing holiday. The small airport is run brilliantly - we were ushered to a separate queue as we had a little one and within 5 minutes our buggy had been offloaded the plane before luggage which made it much easier (Gatwick - you could learn a lot but that's another story!)

The transfer takes just 15 minutes and you are greeted at Pestana with the warmest welcome I have ever experienced. Given the amount of people who arrive, the speed at which they check everyone in is astonishing and you'll notice the porters working their socks off to get everyone's luggage to their rooms. We were in one of the pool villas which was perfect for our party of 5 - spacious and tidy - ok, the pool is small but its a nice novelty to say you've got your own pool :-)

Some people have complained about the food but I don't really understand what they're complaining about as its as good as I've experienced in other 5 star AI holidays - there was always a good enough choice for us and our 20 month old. As a Brit, not having tea making facilities in the room was a little frustrating to start with but we got used to it. We were lucky enough to experience all 4 of the a la carte restaurants - the Italian is probably the weakest but both the Madeiran and Koi were brilliant. My husband and I managed to have a lovely meal in the posher Med while the grandparents babysat so that was extra special!! The only complaint I would have is the booking process of the a la carte restaurants - we queued for 2 hours the first week and almost an hour the second week. I don't think this is all the hotel's fault as people would stand in the queue and not make decisions about where they wanted to go when until they actually sat down!

The staff are this resort's real asset - I have never met more friendly and professional staff before. You see management on a daily basis and they're all very approachable. A big shout out goes to Diogo who often served us in the buffet and a la carte restaurants. The 'blonde one' says hi and he misses you!!!

The entertainment is a bit hit and miss (naming no names) but generally the animation team are brilliant - they're always working very hard to please everyone. The Wednesday fire show in the sister Columbus and Sunday circus show are worth watching. You have to join in with the flash dance before you leave otherwise you'll regret it - Luciano was very sad to see my husband leave as he said he was his best dancer!

As for excursions, the jeep safari is well worth the money and the tour guides are brilliant. We also went on the chill out cruise on the catamaran which was great - we saw pilot whales which just made it even better. Warning though that you have to make your own way down to the harbour at 9 Euros each way. I've told Thomson to look into this as every other boat operator and restaurant on the island offers a courtesy bus from the hotel.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort and I've never felt like I wanted to return to a hotel before but I really hope to holiday again at Pestana on the unspoilt island of Porto Santo.

3 Thank kjr20142014
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear "kjr20142014",

We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Your positive comments about us have been really appreciated and we sincerely hope that your travelling plans bring you back to Porto Santo again, so we can have the pleasure of hosting you again to offer “Memorable Moments”.

Area Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We have just arrived back from a lovely weeks holiday, with our 2 children.

We were upgraded room for free as it was our honeymoon, the room was fantastic with the biggest bed ever!!!

The Rooms, grounds, pools, everything was spotless and very well maintained. The ladies and gents in the kids club were amazing and friendly, especially cece. Our nearly 2 year old loved colouring and painting with them.

The food to be honest left alot to be desired. The kids corner was ridiculous and was laughable really. The other food was edible but there was nothing that I could say was really nice, we ate our lunch at the pool bar as they made sandwiches to order which were fresh and tasty.

There is only 1 flight a week from porto santo to Manchester which is a late evening flight, we had to check out of our room by 1, when I asked if we could put a travel cot in a spare room so our nearly 2 year old could have her afternoon nap before our long evening/night travel ahead I was told no unless we paid to keep our room on, which was 20 euros per adult n 10 euros per child, therefore would of cost us 60 euros to have the room an extra few hours!! Since we didn't arrive at the hotel till late evening when we checked in, we found the additional charge quite expensive.

The food was average at best, and was what I would expect in a 3 star hotel not a 5. I wouldn't rate kids food at all as it was nearly non existent.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel for people with small children as apart from kids club which was fab, it doesn't cater well for children.

Overall the hotel was beautiful inside and out, staff friendly and approachable. The beach was AMAZING!!!! The only think lacking was 5 star food to match the rest of it.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank lilybb03
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.
We apologize for your disappointment regarding the food. This is certainly not the impression that the majority of our guests receive. We apologize that the options for Children were not to your liking, even so we have always a chef in the show cooking that will be more than happy to help you and provide what you wish
We do hope that you may return in the future, so that we may reaffirm your faith in our hotel.

Oxford
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We arrived early evening to be greeted by a number of friendly staff and offered a nice cooling drink. booking in at reception was seamless with a minimum of waiting. Our cases were whisked away and delivered prompty to our apartment. Room was spacious and spotlessly clean. There is no doubt this is paradise on earth!! beautiful grounds, facilites, food, customer service is first class!! You can want for nothing here and its a nice touch that the boss's come round during the day and evening and stop to chat to you. Poolside bar was excellent as was the poolside snacks. The girl who runs it does it like clockwork - well done!! The beach is fabulous!!! The rep does a walk into the only town along the beach - it takes about 40 mins but well worth it. You can catch Pestana's coach back if you want. In the town the food and drinks are exceptionally cheap - 3 coffee's for 2€10 bargain!!
You have the facilities at the Colombus hotel next door as they are both joined.
It's difficult to say anything bad about the place as they do everything to be so good. I suppose my only minor gripes would be that a 5 star hotel would have coffee/ tea making facilities in the rooms - this does not. Also in the early evening in the bar prior to the start of the evening entertainment you have Joanna playing her guitar. She's really good but it can get samey over two weeks. This was a special holiday for us as we celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary here. I made them aware of this when we booked the theme restaurants so we could celebrate. I asked if I could organise some champagne to celebrate and was told not to spoil the surprise. On our anniversary evening all we got was a small cake. I feel that Andreea let us down a bit as we wanted to celebrate in style - unfortunately that didn't happen. However, Would it stop me from going here again - NOT A CHANCE. Would I recommend it it others - YOU BET!! Its an expensive holiday but good value for money considering what you get.

Room Tip: Rooms furthest away from reception are the quietest
3 Thank Robin W
Dear Customer,

Thank you for visiting the Pestana Porto Santo during the special moment of the celebration of your 40th wedding anniversary.
The “Golden Island” of Porto Santo is the best destination for this type of celebrations and Pestana Porto Santo one of the best choices to stay because of our location, gardens, pools and gastronomy.
Please accept our apologies for the misunderstanding of cake / sparkling wine, as you know we are always available to organize special moments for Customers.
We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to join our loyalty program Pestana Priority Guest which is available at our website.
Kindest regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Lovely hotel, & surrounding with welcoming staff who were always friendly as were the people we met in the restort. Some of the staff also joined in with the day time pool dances. Upon our arrival at the hotel, we were greeted by members of the animation team who were very good all of the time.
This beautiful hotel,& lovely staff was let down by the food was very disappointing! We ate in the buffet restaurant which was very unsatisfactory & repetitive. Some strange combinations of warm watery bland food sometimes even cold. The tea & coffee was from a machine, and not fresh.
We felt the food let the hotel down, we would rate this a 4 star as we have stayed in much better 5 star hotels food wise.
The hotel and rooms are lovely, very spacious with ample storage. Our room also had mini fridge with complimentary water, flat screen TVs and dvd player. The cleanliness of the room was very very good,,,, I couldn’t find any “dust”, “sand” or “dirt” anywhere!!!
We booked via the Thomson Rep. ( Emma ) who was very helpful, (The island “jeep safari” excursion) I must recommend this trip which lasts over three hours. The guides were very knowledgeable and proud of their island,,,,, we went to both the peaks & valleys of the mountains
The weather is interchangeable as what you may expect in the middle of the Atlantic. You will need something to cover up in the evenings. However when the sun did come out during the day it was extremely intensive.
I really cannot praise the staff enough, for their excellent customer services, with beautiful grounds. We would recommend this hotel and the authentic beautiful island for a very quiet holiday, just be prepared to eat out.

Room Tip: Ask for Vilas 14 this is close to the sunset bar for the evening entertainment but not noisy
1 Thank Paul D
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Pestana Porto Santo.
It is always a pleasure to receive constructive feedback and we hope to have the opportunity in the near future to welcome you again.
Just for information we have 2 buffet restaurants available everyday in case you don't like the theme of one night you can always try the other one. We also have 4 theme/á la carte restaurants and i am surprise that you didn't like no one of them
I will share your comments with our team, who I am certain will take in consideration your feedback in the near future to guarantee improvements
At Pestana Porto Santo continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.
I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to join our loyalty program Pestana Priority Guest which is available at our website

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I chose this holiday for me and my boyfriend due to the images in the brochure only after booking I really looked into the island and what it offers. On arrival we were greeted by the kindest staff who couldn't do enough to help us and make us aware of the facilities. The resort is gorgeous and the rooms are spacious and very comfortable. Can not speak well enough of the staff from start to end not only the staff at the hotel but the Thomson reps aswell all very knowledgeable and friendly.
This island is so peaceful and gorgeous, lovely way of life on the island and the views are fantastic! Would recommend this hotel for everyone! Entertainment and food there ia something for everyone I feel. Would love to go again!

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank clAraj23
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a fantastic review regarding your recent stay at Pestana Porto Santo and share it with other travelers.
We were delighted to learn you had a very enjoyable time with us!
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding our facilities, staff and services.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Beautiful place,beautiful Hotel, but most important beautiful Staff.We stayed for the 9th - 16th june and have never been anywhere that had staff as friendly as the people we met in the Pestana they made our holiday.
It was clean the food was really nice with plenty of choice We had meals in the Med and the Italian superb food and service .Loved the flash dance and the fact that Management ,cleaners,bar staff all joined in and everyone was smiling the amount of places that I have been that the staff look miserable NOT AT THE PESTANA. Nothing is too much for them their first priorty is their customers and they want to make sure you enjoy your holiday.I cannot wait to go back there and if I had not already booked my september holiday that is just what I would do. Barbara Llewellyn.

Room Tip: This is not a hip hop and happening place great for young children or couples that just want to chil...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Barbara L
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Mrs Llewellyn,

Thank you very much for your review shared on tripadvisor and your loyalty to the Pestana Porto Santo.
It is a great pleasure to have you coming back and enjoyed the great quality of service we are offering.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

Beautiful hotel, lovely staff but food was very disappointing! I'd like to know where the excellent food was as the food we ate in the buffet restaurant was very poor. Strange combinations of warm watery bland food sometimes even cold. Tea from a machine, I've never stayed anywhere that doesn't have tea bags. Juice was very watery, from a machine. Very short staffed in the restaurant especially at lunch times, tables left with dirty plates for long periods. Difficulty getting a drink, don't know why they don't make it self serve if they can't provide enough staff to serve drinks. Drinks at the pool bar all served in plastic cups even when drinking in the bar, I like to drink wine from a glass not a plastic cup.
Wasn't given a list of opening times of restaurants so relied on the times on the restaurant door which stated they open at 18:30 but turned away and advised they open at 19:00!
We felt the food and service let the hotel down and we would rate this a 4 star as we have stayed in much better 5 star hotels. This hotel has lots of good points but unfortunately the bad ones are always remembered the most.

1 Thank Linle
Dear Guest,

Thank you for spending the time telling us about your experience at Pestana Porto Santo, we really sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations about our hotel and its services.
To reach a great guest experience is a must for us, and we work very hard for it, we believe that having the chance to know what you have experienced is the best tool we can have to improve and like this reach our promises.
We value your comments and we will take whatever steps we can to correct the problem.
Again, please accept our apologies. We hope that you will consider staying at Pestana Porto Santo again so that we may show you the gracious hospitality and superb service for which we are known.