We returned on Monday after spending two weeks at Pestana Porto Santo and it really was an amazing holiday. The small airport is run brilliantly - we were ushered to a separate queue as we had a little one and within 5 minutes our buggy had been offloaded the plane before luggage which made it much easier (Gatwick - you could learn a lot but that's another story!)
The transfer takes just 15 minutes and you are greeted at Pestana with the warmest welcome I have ever experienced. Given the amount of people who arrive, the speed at which they check everyone in is astonishing and you'll notice the porters working their socks off to get everyone's luggage to their rooms. We were in one of the pool villas which was perfect for our party of 5 - spacious and tidy - ok, the pool is small but its a nice novelty to say you've got your own pool :-)
Some people have complained about the food but I don't really understand what they're complaining about as its as good as I've experienced in other 5 star AI holidays - there was always a good enough choice for us and our 20 month old. As a Brit, not having tea making facilities in the room was a little frustrating to start with but we got used to it. We were lucky enough to experience all 4 of the a la carte restaurants - the Italian is probably the weakest but both the Madeiran and Koi were brilliant. My husband and I managed to have a lovely meal in the posher Med while the grandparents babysat so that was extra special!! The only complaint I would have is the booking process of the a la carte restaurants - we queued for 2 hours the first week and almost an hour the second week. I don't think this is all the hotel's fault as people would stand in the queue and not make decisions about where they wanted to go when until they actually sat down!
The staff are this resort's real asset - I have never met more friendly and professional staff before. You see management on a daily basis and they're all very approachable. A big shout out goes to Diogo who often served us in the buffet and a la carte restaurants. The 'blonde one' says hi and he misses you!!!
The entertainment is a bit hit and miss (naming no names) but generally the animation team are brilliant - they're always working very hard to please everyone. The Wednesday fire show in the sister Columbus and Sunday circus show are worth watching. You have to join in with the flash dance before you leave otherwise you'll regret it - Luciano was very sad to see my husband leave as he said he was his best dancer!
As for excursions, the jeep safari is well worth the money and the tour guides are brilliant. We also went on the chill out cruise on the catamaran which was great - we saw pilot whales which just made it even better. Warning though that you have to make your own way down to the harbour at 9 Euros each way. I've told Thomson to look into this as every other boat operator and restaurant on the island offers a courtesy bus from the hotel.
Overall, I would definitely recommend this resort and I've never felt like I wanted to return to a hotel before but I really hope to holiday again at Pestana on the unspoilt island of Porto Santo.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pestana Porto Santo Beach Resort & Spa is located on the fantastic Porto Santo beach , a sandy beach 9 km long, and it is surrounded by a tropical garden of 30,000 m2 and two enormous outdoor pools of a natural style, making it one of the best hotels in Porto Santo. This hotel in Porto Santo operates under an "All Inclusive" regime, making it the ideal location for anyone wishing to spend holidays in Porto Santo without any concerns at all. So, if holidays to you mean time with friends and family, enjoying the sun, the sea and the therapeutic sands of Porto Santo, taking a dive into the pool, exercising in the gymnasium, playing a game of tennis on the multi-purpose court, or simply relaxing in the spa, then the Pestana Porto Santo is the hotel for you. The rooms of the Pestana Porto Santo are decorated in tones of blue and ocean green and include a private balcony. Although it is a hotel with "All Inclusive", it has 3 restaurants that offer a selection of Italian and Madeira cuisine and three enchanting bars, which includes the "Sunset Bar", which has fantastic views over the sea. The concept of this resort in Porto Santo underscores the philosophy of preserving the environment, taking into account the needs of sustainability of the surroundings where it is located. Various solar panels have been installed and the hotel has its own desalinisation plant, which has earned the hotel "The Green Key" certificate for its environmental management. The beach of Ribeiro Salgado, which is a concession of Pestana Porto Santo Beach Resort & Spa, was presented with the Blue Flag by the FEE - Foundation for Environment Education, due to the quality of the water, the information and environmental education, the environmental management, and the safety, services and support infrastructures. The main village, Vila Baleira, is a mere 5 minutes by car from this 5 star hotel, as is the 18-hole golf course, which offers you the unique opportunity of playing on a course designed by the Spanish champion Severiano Ballesteros; all this, with the sea as your horizon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Odigeo, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HRS, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Pestana Porto Santo All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pestana Porto Santo Beach Resort & Spa - All Inclusive Hotel Porto Santo
- Pestana Porto Santo Beach Resort And Spa - All Inclusive
- Pestana Hotel Porto Santo
- Pestana Resort Porto Santo