We've just returned from a lovely week at the Pestana Colombos and I've been wondering how I can review the hotel on its own merits but I don't think I can. My husband and I spent most of our time at the sister hotel next door because it was a) livelier and b) more attractive. I appreciate that some people would prefer a very quiet, modern hotel but if we had stayed at the Colombos and not had the facilities of the Porto Santo to use we would have had a very disappointing stay.
The problem is the extremely modern design ... the pool area is stark to the point of uninviting, and even the pool furniture was laid out in austere regimented rows. The Porto Santo is the complete opposite, beautiful free-formed pools, comfortable seating areas, pagoda covered sofas, deluxe sun loungers and side tables, palm trees, flowers and lush vegetation .. positively tropical.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the walk from one hotel to the other was quite pleasant, in fact, if we stayed again (and we would definitely consider it) we would probably stay in the Colombos and walk over to the PS because the rooms at the Colombos were stunning.
The only reason I haven't given the hotel 5-stars is that although the food was of excellent quality, the choice in the buffet restaurants was quite small. Having stayed at lots of AI's in the past we are used to a huge salad selection and this was quite meagre here, so to the vegetable offer and even the choice of meat etc. Don't get me wrong, you wouldn't go hungry and there was always something I fancied, it's just that I'm used to being spoiled for choice and this wasn't the case. The A la Carte restaurants seemed lovely - we went to the Japanese, Italian and the Maderian, but because I had a tummy bug for about 5 days I basically sat and watched my hubby eat .. he seemed to be happy though lol.
Ladies, one word of warning - they charge five euros an hour to use the iron and ironing board. I have a travel iron at home but haven't taken it for years as they're usually provided free at 5-star properties. This really pee'd me off to be honest, it just seemed such a petty charge. I did pay it and ironed everything when we arrived .. I asked for extra hangers to keep everything nice and neat for the week.
The staff are wonderful by the way, superb service everywhere we went.
I could go on and on, but if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to message me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pestana Colombos is a 5-star All Inclusive hotel (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and domestic beverages) located on the Island of Porto Santo, on the archipelago of Madeira. Just 1 minute on foot from a beach known for being heavenly, the best beach in Portugal, with 9 km of sand, warm and crystal-clear water. This luxury hotel has an indoor swimming pool and two outdoor swimming pools, a pedestrian bridge to access the beach, a Kids Club for the little ones, as well as a spa with Jacuzzi, sauna, Turkish bath and Hamman so you can relax during your stay. For dining, we have six restaurants and two snack bars. All of the rooms are large and comfortably equipped with a bathtub, modest decor and stunning views, with free Wi-Fi and also each with a television with built-in DVD player. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, PESTANA MANAGEMENT - Servicos de Gestao S.A., Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, getaroom.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Agoda, Stayforlong S.L., Travel Republic (UK) and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Pestana Colombos All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Colombo`s Beach And Spa Resort
- Colombo`s Beach Hotel Porto Santo