“Fabulous when you consider both hotels as one”

Pestana Colombos All Inclusive
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We've just returned from a lovely week at the Pestana Colombos and I've been wondering how I can review the hotel on its own merits but I don't think I can. My husband and I spent most of our time at the sister hotel next door because it was a) livelier and b) more attractive. I appreciate that some people would prefer a very quiet, modern hotel but if we had stayed at the Colombos and not had the facilities of the Porto Santo to use we would have had a very disappointing stay.

The problem is the extremely modern design ... the pool area is stark to the point of uninviting, and even the pool furniture was laid out in austere regimented rows. The Porto Santo is the complete opposite, beautiful free-formed pools, comfortable seating areas, pagoda covered sofas, deluxe sun loungers and side tables, palm trees, flowers and lush vegetation .. positively tropical.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the walk from one hotel to the other was quite pleasant, in fact, if we stayed again (and we would definitely consider it) we would probably stay in the Colombos and walk over to the PS because the rooms at the Colombos were stunning.

The only reason I haven't given the hotel 5-stars is that although the food was of excellent quality, the choice in the buffet restaurants was quite small. Having stayed at lots of AI's in the past we are used to a huge salad selection and this was quite meagre here, so to the vegetable offer and even the choice of meat etc. Don't get me wrong, you wouldn't go hungry and there was always something I fancied, it's just that I'm used to being spoiled for choice and this wasn't the case. The A la Carte restaurants seemed lovely - we went to the Japanese, Italian and the Maderian, but because I had a tummy bug for about 5 days I basically sat and watched my hubby eat .. he seemed to be happy though lol.

Ladies, one word of warning - they charge five euros an hour to use the iron and ironing board. I have a travel iron at home but haven't taken it for years as they're usually provided free at 5-star properties. This really pee'd me off to be honest, it just seemed such a petty charge. I did pay it and ironed everything when we arrived .. I asked for extra hangers to keep everything nice and neat for the week.

The staff are wonderful by the way, superb service everywhere we went.

I could go on and on, but if anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to message me.

3  Thank SunshineSukie
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Colombos All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Pestana Colombos.
We took note that you may prefer in the future the set-up of villas and outdoor pools on the sister Hotel - Pestana Porto Santo.
At Pestana Colombos we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us.
The comments you have post will be considered to improve our services in the near future.
We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Recently returned from a weeks stay here and I cannot say enough good things about this place. We arrived late in the evening, after a 5 minute bus transfer from the airport where we were greeted by a lot of happy and enthusiastic staff at the hotel entrance. They offered drinks on arrival which was very nice. Check in was almost instant which shows they were well prepared...Upon check-in we were given a sticker to place on our bags and these were taken to our room whilst we went to the restaurant to get food. The rooms here are unbelievable, very contemporary modern and the pictures speak for themselves. Walk-in shower as well as a big bath with a slate sink. The cleaners also come in to clean the room twice a day. The restaurants are really nice, you get a choice of 3 for a week, Madeiran which is a mix of fish and meat kebabs, Mediterranean which is predominantly fish and for adults only, japanease and also Italian. The buffet has a good mixture, with 3 daily choices to be cooked fresh as you wait by the chef- my advice would be to check the welcome page on your TV station to see which themed days are on what day, for instance Thursdays is a Mexican theme, gives you a better idea where to eat during the week. To be fair any buffet food can get repetitive so we chose to eat out of the hotel one night, we chose to eat at the "PITA" which is a family run restaurant based in the tennis club a five minute walk from the hotel, I highly recommend this place to give you some experience of the locals- special mention to the owner Miguel, great hospitality and will keep chatting to you long into the night, very good English and knowledgable, nice man and even better food for very low prices. They have plenty of drinks on offer here at the hotel, quality wines, a very good cocktail menu and choice of soft drinks available at dinner and also in the bar throughout the day/night. The pool area is very relaxed and they provide pool towels for each day, this is one of the cleanest pools/pool areas I have seen and you can either relax on a sun lounger or double bed ( yes I said a double bed!) they have waiters who come around the pool and serve you your drinks also. You also have the choice to take a 1 minute walk to the next door sister hotel which is a bit more busier, we used this hotel quite often as it had a big lunch area and a chef cooking on the BBQ daily, again the same high quality standards is provided here. The beach is an amazing sight, clear blue with golden sand and very very clean. Finally the staff are very nice and I can't fault anything with the excellent service they provided, from the animation team, to the bar men and waiting on staff to the management team. This is a gem of a place and is only in its first year, it won't be long until everyone is getting onto this so I can imagine the cost to stay will increase but it is well worth it for a week away. Highly recommend for couples, not ideal of children in my opinion, but the other hotel next door is

4  Thank 146bennh

Dear "Benn H",

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Pestana Colombos.
We are delighted to hear you had a great time with us and enjoyed our services and facilities.
We are glad you enjoyed the quality of service we provide, that will encourage our Staff - Thanks.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon during your next visit.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Flight: excellent flight arrived well ahead of time, lots of leg room, couldn't fault check in either end. Glad we took a tip,from some1 else on trip advisor ( take a taxi from airport approx 8 -10 euros and avoid the queues at check in at hotel)

Hotel:
Check in: Efficient and easy buffet restaurant stays open for people arriving at 10PM which was appreciated.

Rooms: Luxurious rooms, kept impeccably clean everyday,.

Meals: Buffet restaurant, variety excellent, quality excellent, ( Pedro, always smiling and made everyone feel important, staff always ready to serve you a drink and clear your plates, omelette chefs and juice/smoothie chefs excellent.

The Italian and Madeira restaurants were very good, the Med has a few teething problems that need to be addressed although the food was quite good.

Beach:
Amazing, walk along it to Porte de Calehta or the other way to town centre, 45 mins each way.

Eating out:
Although we were all inclusive we like to explore too, people recommended pe ne agua, great views lively for a drink, food not great but has just been taken over so sure it will improve!

Best meal out was Quinta de serrado, in the hills, stunning scenery, fantastic food, great service ( they have a courtesy bus to and from in the evenings)

Overall, the most friendliest place I have ever been, beautiful beach and amazing staff!

Being British, the tiny niggles I would have are:
Tea / coffee making facilities in room, wine in mini bar
Tea bags in restaurant for breakfast, instead of tea from machine ( we did get them when we asked)
I would suggest a bar in the courtyard as people like to chill out there in the afternoon and have to keep going to the pool bar or waiting for cocktail bar to open
Choice of branded spirits

These little things would make this a 5 star plus hotel

We will be back next year!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Din001

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Your positive comments about us have been really appreciated and we sincerely hope that your travelling plans bring you back to Porto Santo again, so we can have the pleasure of hosting you again to offer “Memorable Moments”.
Thank you for your tips we will do our best to improve in the future.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We have just arrived back from a fantastic week at the pestana Columbus from the moment we stepped foot in the hotel our holiday began the heaviest thing we had to carry to our rooms was ourselves everything else was done for us . The staff were on hand to attend to all our needs whatever they were and it was all done with a smile and thank you .the room was to die for spotlessly clean and presented by the time we got back from our evening meal the bags were in our room . If you want a nice quiet hotel this is the place to be but if you want a bit of nightlife you can use the sister hotel which is just a few minutes walk through the gardens .also the beach is just a matter of 50yards from the hotel via there own walkway and what a beach it is fantastic .although there isn't a lot to do in the local area the organised jeep safari is a must it gets to places no other vehicles can get to .back to the hotel I can't praise the staff enough from the resort managers to the to the maintainence staff all had the time to speak to you whatever the were doing nothing was to much to ask for .WELL DONE PESTANA COLUMBUS YOU DESERVE ALL THE CREDITS YOU RECIEVED.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank David P

Dear "David P",

Your feedback is very important for us and future Guests.
Therefore your participation has been extremely important and gratifying to us.
We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to join our loyalty program Pestana Priority Guest which is available at our website.
It was real pleasure having you as our Guest and to being of service, and we look forward to your next visit and to offering you more ‘Memorable Moments’.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

stayed a few times at Pestana Porto Santo and twice now at Colombos but every time i do i am surprised and impressed by how good things are. The food quality is excellent, both buffet and the a la cartes. this time i only had a short 2 day break but ate in the Italian and Med restaurants.

Things i liked:
arrived late from the ferry fand arrived well after 10pm to the hotel. assumed it was too late to get dinner. however they keep the italian open late when they have late arrivals, so us and other arrivals from Madeira were able to get an a la carte meal. the pizzas are excellent, as good as any i have tasted.

Enjoying a drink in the bar afterwards, we noticed it was well after 1am but the bar was still open and still free. we asked the barman and he said that because there was a late football match with portugal on, they were keeping the bar open til 3am.

On checkout so many european all inclusives cut service off at 12pm, however Pestana keep the service on until 7pm.

Bar quality. the house wine is excellent and its good to see it comes from a bottle. its something that would sway me away from a moroccan or egyptian all inclusive towards porto santo as we tend to drink wine. Also, whilst the all inclusive gin was okay, they had hendricks which you could pay €4 for, well worth it.

Food quality. breakfast has a huge choice, lunch too, and both a la cartes were as good as if we'd paid €70 in an outside restaurant.

Rooms. very luxurious in a quirky way. Bang & olufsen tvs, big bath in the bedroom, cute shower areas. also free wifi everywhere. the first time we stayed here our room was south over the pool but i much preferred this time being to the west, still a sea view, but far more private.

overall, this is as good an all inclusive as we have stayed in, not only better than similar priced AI in Egypt, but also gives far more expensive AI in Mexico and Cuba a run for their money. porto santo is really relaxed, the beach is amazing, they have a great golf course and this hotel is top notch.

4  Thank expatinmadeira

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Your positive comments about us have been really appreciated and we sincerely hope to welcome you again for another short break in Porto Santo, so we can have the pleasure of hosting you again to offer “Memorable Moments”.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just returned from the holiday of a lifetime at the wonderful Pestana Columbus. From the moment we arrived at the Hotel reception EVERYTHING was taken care of. It probably isnt the best choice if you want nightlife but if you want a restful break in total luxury you will enjoy this wonderful hotel and sleepy little Island. The staff are so polite and helpful, the hotel rooms are huge and spotlessly clean, change of towels twice daily, the bed is enormous and so comfy, I slept so well. The egg shaped bath is a real treat and so is the walk in wet-room. We had a seaview on top floor which I highly recommend because the large picture window is not overlooked and you can leave curtains and net back all the time to enjoy the view which overlooks the pool and then the beach. All areas of this Hotel are airy and spacious, it is modern and clean. The pool area is large with plenty of sunbeds. The restaurants are all fantasticl (although we didnt use the Japanese one), we found the buffet was satisfying as I am vegetarian and hubby eats meat we were always spoilt for choice in the selection, eating tat buffet also means you are not bound to a specific time as you are when booking in the a la carte restaurants, the wine and beer is excellent quality, you can upgrade for extra charge but we found their wines to be perfect, red, white or rose. I Loved the champagne breakfast. We had our family and 18month grandaughter with us so used the buffet a lot. All the staff go out of their way to please you and we never met one that was not helpful and polite. The animation staff are brilliant and I loved the daily 'flash dance' (just wish I knew the title of the music would love to purchase?). We did use the sister hotel Pestana Porto Santo and liked it very much, it is probably more lively if you have children and we loved the sandwiches at the beach bar but the walk between the two hotels is short and pleasant. Last but definitely not least THE BEACH!!! OMG the beach is MAGNIFICENT!! and now I feel like crying because I miss it all so much and I cant wait to return to beautiful Porto Santo Island and the Colombus Hotel which treated me and my family so well for 2 wonderful weeks! WILL DEFINITELY RETURN!!! THANK YOU WONDERFUL STAFF!! MISS YOU ALL!!

Room Tip: Well worth the upgrade to a sea view, and the rooms are better situated and not overlooked
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Chris16B

Dear "ChrisBrennan",

We are delighted to hear you had a great time with us and enjoyed our beach location, restaurants, rooms and sister hotel.
We are glad you enjoyed the quality of service we provide.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon, we miss you too.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We have been staying at Pestana, on the beautiful island of Porto Santo, 4 years now.
There have been many changes, especially with the opening of the new Colombos hotel.
This hotel has to be viewed from inside to appreciate the outstanding spacious interior, and modern design concept - the 'Zen' style bedrooms are amazing.
There is a huge and pleasant courtyard, where you can sit in comfort and have a drink.
The pools and lounge areas are designed for total relaxation.
Last, but not least, there is the Carvella. A very spacious, beautifully appointed buffet restaurant with comfortably arranged seating, serving great food.
Until next time - thank you to the wonderful management and staff.
Rita & Edward

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Rita K

Dear Mrs Rita and Mr Edward,

Thank you very much for your many visits ( Since 2011 you had visit us in Porto Santo during 30 weeks already)and for sharing a review on tripadvisor regarding your experince in Pestana Colombos.
It is a great pleasure to know that you are coming back in the near future.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.
Warm regards,