“Relaxing Holiday”

Pestana Colombos All Inclusive
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We chose Porto Santo and the Pestana Colombos so we could enjoy a relaxing two week holiday from 9th to 23rd June. We weren't disappointed.

After a good flight with Thomsons we landed and were with our luggage and off to the hotel by pre-booked taxi (well worth it) in no time at all. We were met by Michaela and Vera and transferred quickly into our room. From landing to dinner in the restaurant took less than one hour! Michaela and Vera were delightful and on arrival changed our room from a duplex suite to a seafront room for the first week. For the second week we paid 90 Euros upgrade to one of the spacious two bedroomed corner suites. Real luxury and plenty of room with a large lounge/dining area, a circular shower and massive balcony.

I mention Michaela and Vera in particular but all the staff were fantastic.The manager and area director were also around lots of the time and made sure they talked to the guests to get their thoughts on the hotel. This was it's first full season but you would never have guessed.

Plenty of sun beds, very good food (the Japanese restaurant food was the only disappointment) and unlimited alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks ensured that we never wanted for anything.

The beach is incredible and the Jeep Safari with Sophia from Lazermar was well worth doing to get all the history of this small island. She has lived on the island all her life and her love of the place and it's history is infectious.

We made friends and talked to lots of fellow guests and all were singing the hotel's praises. Congratulations to the Colombos and in particular all the staff on giving it's guests a holiday experience to remember and enthuse about.

Room Tip: Seafront rooms are very spacious and an upgrade to the two bedroomed corner suites is worth it if yo...
6  Thank mgbfan
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Colombos All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
Your positive comments about us, in particular Vera and Micaela, have been really appreciated and we sincerely hope that your travelling plans bring you back to Porto Santo again, so we can have the pleasure of hosting you again to offer “Memorable Moments”.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Just got back from a weeks stay and would totally agree with all the positive comments. Simply ... Standard Room - one of the best we have ever stayed in ... Food - great choice and the feature restaurants all worth a look but book early ... Bars - excellent, both outside and night time ..... Courtesy Bus rakes you to town which again is well worth a visit as still very much "local" (but I expect for not much longer). Service - I feel this is what sets it apart, friendly, welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. We advised of our birthdays and they organised cakes etc. and welcomed us by name which added to the celebration.

Thanks to all the management and staff, highly recommended.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are first class so don't worry.
2  Thank mikehSuffolk

Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to post a fantastic review regarding your recent stay at Pestana Colombos and share it with other travelers.
We were delighted to learn you had a very enjoyable time with us!
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding our staff.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Spent two weeks at this hotel from 2nd June 2014, what can I say that hasn't already been said, this has to be one of the best hotels we have stayed at and it will be hard to find one better. Everything about it from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave feels personalised and special.
There are enough reviews about the facilities which I would endorse and say they are absolutely excellent. The cleanliness of the hotel is immaculate we stayed in room 2109 and although we didn't get the name of our cleaner would just like to say what a lovely woman she was, hard working and very caring - thank you.
As previous reviews have shown the staff are the making of this hotel they are the best we have ever encountered in all our worldwide travels. Joao and Angela the management team work very hard to meet everyone's needs and are genuinely interested in your feedback, they never hesitate to stop and speak to individuals and ask there opinions and genuinely listen to comments. (this is not just PR they really do care).
All the staff work very hard to ensure you have a good holiday, we would especially like to thank Pedro (who is so funny), Carlos, Adrianna, not forgetting Fabio who worked so hard, and everyone else too numerous to mention for making this such a very special holiday.
We visited three of the A la Carte Restaurants (Med, Madeira and Italian) the food in all the restaurants was excellent, although the service in the Italian was a bit slow but hey who wants to rush a meal when your on holiday.
The atmosphere created at this hotel by the staff interaction with the guests makes mixing with other guests pleasurable and easy -lots and lots of interaction and chatting.

With regards to the island and the beach - I think I have found my paradise.

thank you Pestana Colombos for a wonderful holiday, and for the cake and card on our wedding anniversary. Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kath & John

6  Thank kathmc

Dear Customer,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Pestana Colombos.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to join our loyalty program Pestana Priority Guest which is available at our website.
Looking forward to welcome you in Porto Santo paradise,

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I can only guess negative reviews were aimed to keep other travellers away as this is an hidden gem if you're looking for a quiet relaxing holiday- if you want to go on lots of trips and can't sit still then Porto Santo is not for you. The hotel - we had a standard room and one of best I have seen anywhere in the World, we did look at pool villas for family trip but the main drawback were that not every one staying in the villa would have a room as nice as in the main hotel and further from all inclusive food and drinks but would make an excellent holiday home if the island was easier to access.
Food - good selection on buffets pity coffee was from a machine at breakfast but you can order espresso from the waiters and mix your own latte, went to maderian a la carte which was very nice but Luigi's was terrible in fact we walked out! Service was poor and fly in wine which waiter didn't seem to notice plus it was corked and my lasagne was super heated I suspect in a microwave pizza was awful too - if you want an Italian meal then the restaurant outside of the hotel comes highly recommended
Cocktail bar was our favourite evening spot and they are good - loved Paoulo's special g&t, almond sours and perstana fizz and next day liquid kitchen juice to detox!
General - to see the entire island rent a city bubble from the guy near reception it was 35 euros for 4 hours which was plenty what a blast

5  Thank snowmanfrost
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Colombos All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear "snowmanfrost",

Your feedback is very important for us.
It´s through guest feedback such as yours, that we are able to confirm our strong points, as well as identify any area that may require improvement. Therefore your participation has been extremely important and gratifying to us. Please accept my apologies regarding the meal you didn't enjoy.
It was real pleasure having you as our Guest and to being of service, and we look forward to your next visit and to offering you more ‘Memorable Moments’.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Just got back from two week holiday here, sorry to leave we loved the hotel and staff, by the time we left we felt the staff were our friend
The room was really nice we upgraded to sea view for €90 a week, I recommend this , also a taxi from the airport to hotel cost €10 well worth it for quick check in.We loved the food in the hotel as we do not normally do buffet but this holiday we ate nearly all the time as the food was so lovely.
The indoor pool , steam and sauna were grate and the main pool was wonderful to.
The manager of the hotel was very friendly and away spoke and had time for everyone, and did very long hours and a big thank you to Pedro, Martin and Andrea the Chef for all all there hard work in the restaurant
A big thank you to Mihela for showing us around
See you all soon Chris ( Roy & Miss Julie )

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Cj1963
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Colombos All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Mr Chris,

Thank you for the great review and great photos, too
We are delighted that you enjoyed our Hotel and our customer service.
We hope to welcome you back soon!
Warm regards,

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have just returned from a week at the Pestana Colombos and felt that it was not worthy of 5 Thomson/First Choice stars and is below the standards I have experienced in the last few years at 4 and 5 star hotels across Europe and Africa.
Granted it does look very stylish and the staff are very friendly if a little too attentive in the restaurants with their regular interruptions to top up your glasses.

The rooms do look like something out of a glossy magazine and are big and airy with large beds, expensive televisions and a superb shower with monsoon shower head.
Unfortunately the bathroom area is a triumph of form over function with a toilet cubicle so small you have to watch you don`t bang your head on the door when sitting down (I`m only 5`11" so pity help anyone over 6").
The roll top bath is shaped like a big eye bath and curves up at either end so when I straightened my legs out my feet rested half way up the sloping end - you`d have to fill the bath almost to the top to cover your legs - not really in keeping with the hotel`s claimed environmental credentials.
The hand basin looks uber cool but has no plug so a wet shave requires leaving the tap running and the taps are located beneath a wide waterfall spout so you have be a bit of a contortionist to use them.
Finally the only lighting is from ceiling spot lights so once again we wet shavers suffer because half your face ends up in shadow and an uneven shave with lots of nicks is the outcome.

Room Tip - don`t leave the windows open at night as I did to avoid the noisy air conditioning and ended up with mosquito bites - take ear plugs and rely on the A.C..

The pool and public areas are very clean and have lots of space. The pool leads to a boardwalk to the beautiful beach where you can pay for a lounger and sun shade or, at no cost, take one wind break and one parasol per room to the beach. The tide only retreats about 20 metres at most so you never have to walk far to get in the water - it is clear and bracing but worth the initial shock and is looked over by lifeguards.

There is one bar open in the evening and it gets very busy as it is only 3 metres square and can barely fit 3 staff behind it. If anyone comes over from the sister hotel for one of the evening entertainments it will mean a long wait for a drink - probably best to bulk order as it is free!

The food was probably the most disappointing aspect of the hotel.
At breakfast tea and coffee are only on offer at vending machines and they taste as bad as any vending machine you`ve used back home.
Likewise fruit juices are dispensed from machines and are therefore inferior to fresh juices
There is a juice bar but the server would only make drinks by blending fruit with ice cubes which resulted in a very watery drink not unlike fruit squash.

The omlettes are cooked to order and are very good and hot unlike the rest of the full breakfast ingredients which are served buffet style and only warm at best.

There are several breads, cereals, fruits and cold meats and cheeses also available so you won`t go hungry.

I ate at 3 of the specialty restaurants (Madeiran, Mediterranean and Italian) and found them all to be very good with a pleasant ambiance and the best food in the hotel.

The main restaurant lacked any real ambiance and reminded me of a 70s motorway service cafeteria. The food at the evening meal was similarly uninspiring and on one night the roast pork advertised on the chalk board turned out to be bacon!
There was, however, plenty of choice so as long as you don`t expect gourmet cooking you might not be disappointed.

There is a snack and pool bar open from 1030 in the morning to early evening and it does provide fresh espresso coffee - hooray! I spent more time there than the main restaurant and also enjoyed numerous cakes, savouries, waffles and ice cream.

There is not a lot to do on the island outside of the hotel but I would recommend the following:-

Jeep Safari with Lazermar Travel - only 25 euros instead of 32 with Thomson. You can phone them up or drop in to their office on the same street as the only pharmacy in town (Vila Baleira). It`s run by Sofia who speaks perfect English, is passionate about her island and it lasts about 3.5 hours.
Have a coffee and cake in one of the cafes in Vila Baleira that the locals use - the cakes in the one I visited were only 70 cents and twice the size of those served in the hotel. Fresh orange juice only cost 90 cents too.
If you`re feeling adventurous hire an electric Renault Twizy at the hotel. They only seat two but are great fun and the perfect way to see such a small island and as most of the island`s electricity is generated by solar panels they`re environmentally friendly too.

Room Tip: The rooms on the south west side overlook an incomplete building site so the view is poor. The best...
2  Thank apgerald

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor regarding your stay at Pestana Colombos.
I have addressed your comments to the managers of each department to garantee improvements in the near future.
We do hope that you may return in the future, so that we may reaffirm your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Pestana Colombos has to be one if not the best hotel I have ever stayed in .YOU must upgrade to a sea view room with a fab roll top bath in the bedroom ( fab for watching a grate movie on the state of art B&O televisions) The room is wonderful, very clean Towles and bedding changed every day and a turn down in the evening The whole hotel is exstreamly clean and well kept The hotel has a very warm and calming feel about it The food is outstanding , so much to choose from and different themed food nights most nights The pool and beach are just amazing wonderful views of the coast line Porto Santo is such a wonderful island The entertainment wasn't to my tast but the fire show was just spectacular as was the circus act. I now relies how much Luciano and All of the entertainment team work and work realy hard all day and doing there shows in the evening
For me the best thing about Pestana Colombos was The STAFF I have never ever meet such a warm, lovely and friendly staff who made us feel so welcome and treated us like great friends For me the staff made my holiday .....To Joao and Angela you work so hard to make everyone feel so welcome and it shows in how happy caring all your staff are, you should be so proud of what you have done to make your hotel so out standing
I would like to say a very big thank you to
Mihela , Vera , Sofia Victor and Marta front of house
Luciano and his entertainment team
Martin, Nielson and Andrea in the Resturant
Oh yes and how could I forget the wonderful and funny Pedro thank you for all the grate laughs
I didn't get everyone's name these are just a few who I found to be outstanding but every single member from the front of house to the bar staff and cleaners were so lovely friendly and happy
Thank you so so very much to Joao and Anglela and your wonderful team for making my holiday one of the best I have ever have see you all soon I hope Meany Meany thanks Roy ( Chris & Miss Julie ) x

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank royroy65

Dear "royroy65",

Here i am answering your email like we spoke last week when you were having dinner :), remember ?
Thank you very much for your review, it's really important for all the staff to read your encourage feedback.
The photos you post are fantastic, congratulations.
We hope to welcome you back soon.