Having stayed in lots of 5 star accommodations abroad this is definitely the best. The attention to detail in the rooms the B&O TV the black slate and stone everywhere are superb and the walk in shower was amazing. The huge pillows on the beds were the best. The towels and bedding were changed every day with the little extra touch of the turn down service each evening. The maids did an amazing job and the rooms were spotless. The Hotel grounds themselves seem a little sparse and hard looking but there are lots of plants and once they take hold the exterior will become a lot softer.
Of the four speciality restaurants (you are only allowed to book three per week) we tried Italian: Pizza and Pasta, average. Madeira: Excellent food exceptional service. Med: superb 5 Star foods and service. You need to book the restaurants all in one hit on your first day; even then it is quite difficult to pick your time as the restaurants are not open every night although this may change in the height of the summer season? Book the restaurants at Guest Relations office, booking from 11am to 2pm, this is located between the two hotels on the beach side.
The Cocktail Bar was always very busy as this is the only bar in the Hotel of an evening, there was a pianist one evening and a singer another who were both excellent. The staff was excellent and worked extremely hard. The Pestana Hotel next door can also be used with entertainment on there most evenings.
The buffet restaurant was really trendy with lots of different levels so you did feel as though you were in a restaurant and not a cafeteria, the waiter service for water and wine/drinks was excellent and again the restaurant staff was very efficient, very friendly and helpful. Although all the food was very nice there was not a lot of choice and very little show/fresh cooking. Fresh fruit and desserts were plentiful. Meat and fish dishes were a bit bland, sardines, hake, chicken legs, sliced roast beef in gravy. Saying this we did not starve and as we were at the speciality restaurants on three nights it didn’t really matter. We did not go into the main buffet for lunch, we tried the outside snack bar in the Pestana next door and the little snack bar next to the pool bar. The beach was beautiful, there is a cost for sunbeds and umbrella of 15 euro for the day or 10 euro for half day this is for 2 beds and 1 umbrella, although you can take your towel on the beach and umbrellas and wind break are free from the hotel. There is no beach bar for Columbus but a little further up the beach there is one for Pestana next door just along the walkway.
We requested a late checkout as our flights were evening time. The cost for this was 40 euro we could not stay in our own room so this does defeat the object a little although we were moved to a private villa with pool, sharing five bedrooms. Although you still had to pack up and move we were still able to have a day on the beach and a shower and change of clothes before being picked up from the hotel for the airport. Surely as there is a 3 hour turn around the hotel could arrange for people to stay in their rooms, collect their 40 euro and have the cleaner come later in the day? Never had a problem with a late checkout in any other hotel we have stayed in. If you do not want the late checkout there are showering facilities by the pool.
All in all we had a very relaxing holiday and for the first full year of operating this Hotel the managers and staff are doing an excellent job. We would not hesitate to return to this Hotel or the island of Porto Santo in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Pestana Colombos is a 5-star All Inclusive hotel (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and domestic beverages) located on the Island of Porto Santo, on the archipelago of Madeira. Just 1 minute on foot from a beach known for being heavenly, the best beach in Portugal, with 9 km of sand, warm and crystal-clear water. This luxury hotel has an indoor swimming pool and two outdoor swimming pools, a pedestrian bridge to access the beach, a Kids Club for the little ones, as well as a spa with Jacuzzi, sauna, Turkish bath and Hamman so you can relax during your stay. For dining, we have six restaurants and two snack bars. All of the rooms are large and comfortably equipped with a bathtub, modest decor and stunning views, with free Wi-Fi and also each with a television with built-in DVD player. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Odigeo, PESTANA MANAGEMENT - Servicos de Gestao S.A., Cancelon, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Pestana Colombos All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Colombo`s Beach Hotel Porto Santo
- Colombo`s Beach And Spa Resort