We travelled to Porto Santo on 11th August 2014 and stayed for 1 week, we met some great people.
We'd never heard of Porto Santo before and I must say we didn't really know what to expect!
This place is amazing, what a jewel of an island.
On to the hotel - this has to be the nicest hotel that I have ever stayed in.
The rooms were luxurious, despite what some reviewers have said, the bath in the bedroom is beautiful and so deep and it felt so decadent. The shower was based in a lovely wet room. The rooms were beautifully clean and the cleaners were excellent, down to the little lady who came at night to turn the bed down.
I have nothing but praise for all of the hotel staff who worked their socks of all week, many of them seemed to have 4 or 5 different jobs in both sides of the resort. Particular praise to Nelson and Paulo who worked tirelessly on the bars. The front of house restaurant girls who always had a smile on their faces and not forgetting the maitre d's who kept everything moving.
The food was fab, so much choice with different things every night. We tried 3 of the restaurants, Luigis - The Italian, great pizzas, but the starters and desserts were self service. The Madeira Lovers - The food was decent, but not amazing and again the starters and desserts were self service. The Med - this is well worth a visit, The food was fab and was all served at the table, I had pre-ordered the Scallops which were delicious and plentiful, The sea bream which was cooked to perfection and the chocolate fondant, which was to die for.
We found the adult indoor pool and we were pleasantly surprised by how quiet it was. The were hydrotherapy style jets in the pool, we had free use of the steam bath, sauna, tepidarium etc...
Don't forget to nip up to the reception to get your free wifi codes for all of your devices.
If I were to offer advice to anyone travelling to this resort it would be -
1) ditch the Reps welcome meeting and go to the house between resorts to book into the ala carte restaurants, they book up really quickly and the welcome meeting didn't really give you any information that you couldn't get from the tv in your room.
2) the departure meeting was an absolute waste of time, took 20 m inutes out of your sunday evening to waffle on and give you a sheet with bus times on, which tbh is all you need.
3) Go on the jeep safari, preferably at the beginning of the week and go with Bonus if you can, Claudio is the most knowledgeable tour guide we have ever travelled with. They tell you about some great restaurants around the island.
4) Book your late check out ASAP - we booked early and got a 6.00 check out, alot of people got 4.00, but there were plenty of people that couldn't get a late check out and had to leave their rooms at 1.00, a bit of a nuisance when the bus doesn't come until 7.00.
If I were to have any advice for the hotel management it would be -
1) Put more staff on the cocktail bar, there was a ridiculous wait for a drink most nights and this is the ONLY bar on the Colombos - they really could do with another bar
2) Sort out the food at the snack bar on Colombos - the snack bar on the other side of the resort was so much better, the food was far superior.
3) Sort out the sunbed problem, there is a sign that warns towels will be taken to reception if anyone tries to reserve sunbeds, yet every day most of the sunbeds were reserved from 7.00 am. Also more of the big wooden sunbeds would be lovely, those little canvas, metal framed beds are so uncomfortable.
We will be back, an amazing holiday, Thank You to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pestana Colombos Premium Club is a luxury hotel located on the island of Porto Santo, a paradise with an extensive sand area of almost 10 kilometres and warm and crystalline waters. Considered the best dune beach in Portugal, this is the perfect spot for beach lovers, with its transparent waters and golden sand. This marvellous all inclusive five star resort offers an enormous outdoor pool, an indoor pool and a modern SPA making this one of the best hotels in Porto Santo. Pestana Colombos Premium Club is the ideal resort for those who wish to get away from everything and enjoy a holiday without stress, to enjoy the Porto Santo sun and take a dive on the beach or at the hotel pool. Whether it be a family holiday or with a group of friends, at the Pestana Colombos you will have an unforgettable experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Expedia, TravelUp, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pestana Colombos Premium Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Colombo`s Beach Hotel Porto Santo
- Colombo`s Beach And Spa Resort