Have recently returned from a two week stay in Porto Santo, we stayed at the Pestana a couple of years back and vowed we would return some day. When we saw the Colombus had opened we decided to try it ,bringing with us our twelve year old daughter and our son ,his wife and our two year old Grandson.Our son is about to turn 30 so it was also to help celebrate his Birthday .
I think the Colombus is a lovely hotel and when we arrived via taxi from the airport we had a lovely warm welcome and our Grandson loved the man balancing the blue ball on his head!
The rooms are fabulous but possibly not to everybodys taste as there is little privacy to be had due to the bathroom being open plan .The bath - wow ! What a treat at the end of the day.The TV was of exceptional quality with DVD built in and you could watch TV while in the bath !
As others have stated ,the food was a bit repetitive and there were queues involved at times, but we didn't find it spoiled our holiday in any way at all .
The bar was rather small for the amount of people it had to cater for , though it was lovely to sit outside at night but this wasn't very well lit and so lacked a little ambience. It would be better if there was an alternate bar outside or elsewhere to cater for all the guests to save the dreaded queue syndrome ! Also it's a shame the pool bar couldn't stay open at night.
At breakfast we noticed it could sometimes get busy and we wandered why they didn't put chairs and tables outside as well ,as there is a huge unused patio area to the side of the resteraunt .
The pools were great and never too busy round them ,although we found the teenagers monopolised the indoor pool , dive bombing and shouting .It didn't bother us but when it was the hottest part of the day it would have been nice to take the little one in there to get him out of the sun .
It was never too difficult to find a sun bed although some people would be out laying there towels at 7am every single day so they could claim the exact same sunbathing spot !Strange .I agree it's nice to be by the pool or on one of those big double beds but I'm not prepared to sit on sentry duty early every morning just for the privilege !
I reccomend the Tukzi.We took some fabulous photos from high up on Porto Santo and our guide was very informative.Also the Pizza place across the road from the hotel was very good and the staff were so polite and helpful.We also loved the Pe n agua resteraunt which is set right on the beach .Weve been there before .Just fabulous.Oh and don't forget to sample Mr Lambecas ice cream in Porto Santo town. The resteraunt next to Lambecas is also good.
Would I return to the Colombus hotel ? Probably not because although we had a wonderful time there are other places to see .Would I return to Porto Santo ? I adore this little Island ,I think I've left a little piece of my heart here.The reasons I love it .Its so unspoilt ,the beach is beautiful and ...quiet.The people are so warm and friendly .Nobody I know has ever heard of it !! Sadly I doubt whether it will stay like this for long ...and if they build any more hotels along the coast it will be ruined and it's unique qualities will be lost forever .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Pestana Colombos Premium Club is a luxury hotel located on the island of Porto Santo, a paradise with an extensive sand area of almost 10 kilometres and warm and crystalline waters. Considered the best dune beach in Portugal, this is the perfect spot for beach lovers, with its transparent waters and golden sand. This marvellous all inclusive five star resort offers an enormous outdoor pool, an indoor pool and a modern SPA making this one of the best hotels in Porto Santo. Pestana Colombos Premium Club is the ideal resort for those who wish to get away from everything and enjoy a holiday without stress, to enjoy the Porto Santo sun and take a dive on the beach or at the hotel pool. Whether it be a family holiday or with a group of friends, at the Pestana Colombos you will have an unforgettable experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Expedia, Booking.com, TravelUp and HotelQuickly so you can book your Pestana Colombos Premium Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Colombo`s Beach Hotel Porto Santo
- Colombo`s Beach And Spa Resort