“Lovely Island .Great Hotel.”

Pestana Colombos Premium Club
Worcestershire
“Lovely Island .Great Hotel.”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Have recently returned from a two week stay in Porto Santo, we stayed at the Pestana a couple of years back and vowed we would return some day. When we saw the Colombus had opened we decided to try it ,bringing with us our twelve year old daughter and our son ,his wife and our two year old Grandson.Our son is about to turn 30 so it was also to help celebrate his Birthday .
I think the Colombus is a lovely hotel and when we arrived via taxi from the airport we had a lovely warm welcome and our Grandson loved the man balancing the blue ball on his head!
The rooms are fabulous but possibly not to everybodys taste as there is little privacy to be had due to the bathroom being open plan .The bath - wow ! What a treat at the end of the day.The TV was of exceptional quality with DVD built in and you could watch TV while in the bath !
As others have stated ,the food was a bit repetitive and there were queues involved at times, but we didn't find it spoiled our holiday in any way at all .
The bar was rather small for the amount of people it had to cater for , though it was lovely to sit outside at night but this wasn't very well lit and so lacked a little ambience. It would be better if there was an alternate bar outside or elsewhere to cater for all the guests to save the dreaded queue syndrome ! Also it's a shame the pool bar couldn't stay open at night.
At breakfast we noticed it could sometimes get busy and we wandered why they didn't put chairs and tables outside as well ,as there is a huge unused patio area to the side of the resteraunt .
The pools were great and never too busy round them ,although we found the teenagers monopolised the indoor pool , dive bombing and shouting .It didn't bother us but when it was the hottest part of the day it would have been nice to take the little one in there to get him out of the sun .
It was never too difficult to find a sun bed although some people would be out laying there towels at 7am every single day so they could claim the exact same sunbathing spot !Strange .I agree it's nice to be by the pool or on one of those big double beds but I'm not prepared to sit on sentry duty early every morning just for the privilege !
I reccomend the Tukzi.We took some fabulous photos from high up on Porto Santo and our guide was very informative.Also the Pizza place across the road from the hotel was very good and the staff were so polite and helpful.We also loved the Pe n agua resteraunt which is set right on the beach .Weve been there before .Just fabulous.Oh and don't forget to sample Mr Lambecas ice cream in Porto Santo town. The resteraunt next to Lambecas is also good.
Would I return to the Colombus hotel ? Probably not because although we had a wonderful time there are other places to see .Would I return to Porto Santo ? I adore this little Island ,I think I've left a little piece of my heart here.The reasons I love it .Its so unspoilt ,the beach is beautiful and ...quiet.The people are so warm and friendly .Nobody I know has ever heard of it !! Sadly I doubt whether it will stay like this for long ...and if they build any more hotels along the coast it will be ruined and it's unique qualities will be lost forever .

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Grantclan
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Colombos Premium Club, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear Customer,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Pestana Colombos, thank you.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive and constructive feedback and we hope to have the opportunity in the near future to welcome you again with your family.
I will share your comments with our team, specially the managers, who I am certain will take some of your feedback to encourage improvements on the Teams.
Pestana Colombos continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Area Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I will start this review with the positives.
1) The rooms are fantastic
2) Weather was great
3) Met some lovely people
4) Staff are friendly (especially the reception and maintenance staff) with a few exceptions
The negatives
1) You have to queue for everything, in the morning 10 mins at least for an omelette, 15 mins at least for a fresh juice. Crepes in the snack bar 20 mins to half an hour which is ridiculous as there are 2 rings on the stove and only one of them is being used at a time. To book the a la carte restaurants you can queue for up to 40 mins only to get to the front of the queue to be told they are fully booked or be offered ridiculous times such as 6:30 or 10:00.
2) The bars - The pool side bar is operated by 3 members of staff, however only 1 barman serves at any one time. This causes queues again however what is slightly more annoying than the queues is the fact that you are served your drink in the thinnest plastic glasses you have ever seen one gust of wind and you have a table of spilt drinks.
3) Evenings - You have 2 options the sunset bar over at the porto santo which is your typical 3* Europe entertainment it is difficult to get a seat and be able to see the entertainment. You can stay at the Colombos which has live music this would be nice if there were more seats, you can go in the court yard however this area is very dark after 9;00pm.
4) Management - the management have a visual presence around the property and are always smiling and acknowledging guests, however they are no where to be seen when areas are busy and guests are queuing. We had an issue with a member of staff scrapping food deposits off the grill and serving them to us in a sandwich while themember of staff laughed about it with his colleague. I was annoyed about this and approached the manager although the manager later apologised his 1st reaction was you are wrong this does not happen here this was his response even though I had the sandwich in front of me. For as long as the management have a blinkered view the changes needed to bring this up to a 5* hotel will not happen.
5) Entertainment staff made very little effort with the guests with the exception of the teenager guests who they were very friendly with.
6) Food was very salty with limited choice. There was show cooking although this was not worth queuing for. At best it was 3* Europe quality.
All in all we had a good holiday although this was mainly due to the people we met.
For the same cost you can go to a true 5* resort or you could save a considerable amount of money and go to a 3* resort and get the same ambiance and food quality minus the queuing.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank teamjb_plus1
Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your stay at Pestana Colombos, it was a pleasure to meet you.
In the show cooking areas sometimes we have to queue a little if we want the Chef to prepare something freshly cook in front of us because cooking at the moment takes a little more time. Please note that we always have in the hot station buffets food already prepared.
I'm surprise that for the reasons we know, no one (other Customers) gave you the chance to pass to the front of the queue!
Regarding the critical 4, please note that what i mentioned was that i was surprised and that probably there was a misunderstanding because is not normal to have bad behaviours from our staff.
Sincerely i never been in a 3 star hotel for that reason i don't have comparison with those properties.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed for a week in August, and loved the weather and the beach. Our room was cleaned daily, but sometimes not until late afternoon when we wanted to be back in there. The cleaners took away wet towels, used soap etc without replacing them. The toilet facilities in the public areas could do with being checked/replenished more often, it is not 5 star to have no toilet paper, except on the floor! We used the pool etc facilities next door, as more atmosphere and nicer places to sit, the bars and restaurants were nothing special. Trying to get a towel and a shower on check out day was a challenge.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank bex10001
Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Pestana Colombos.
At Pestana Colombos we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems you mentioned and prevent any future occurrences.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I have never written a review for a holiday before as I have never really felt the need! Everywhere I have been has always fitted the reviews and my expectations. Unfortunately NOT the Columbos!
On the plus side - weather is great, rooms spacious, comfortable and clean and the staff generally friendly and helpful. HOWEVER it is not 5 star. Restaurant is buffet and I'm sorry just awful. Food is of a 3 star buffet standard plentiful but bland and repetitive. I really tried to enjoy it and embrace the experience but school canteen atmosphere, noisy and far from a relaxing dining experience. Im sorry but i will not queue for an omelete for 10 minutes!! The speciality restaurants are not ALa Carte very disappointing and had to queue to book with some ridiculous times eg 10.15 pm for the oriental which was worse than my local chinease. I asked for a brandy at the end of the meal- oh sorry no can do - only wine there- what a joke!
There are not enough bars, not enough staff drinks are awful- cocktails vile made with pre- mixed syrup to get one freshly mixed is like asking for gold dust in the end stopped trying as the look from the barman and his constant insistence that the syrup in the Magaretas was as good as fresh lime just got tiresome. Plastic glasses- I understand why around the pool BUT really thin disposable plastic glasses even if you sat to drink at the bar. Then after two days came plastic plates to serve the snacks on at bar Not good!
There is very little opportunity to socialise as the bar areas are too small to be able to sit and make conversation and the courtyard although huge is too big - tables spaced - 15 feet apart, pitch dark after 9 pm. The Sunset Bar at the sister hotel is ok if you like a Butlins type atmosphere and experience.
I suppose I should have read between the lines of some of the reviews. For families with young children the pool, rooms and restaurants are ok. I do object to allowing children to run around the corridors on the second and third floors playing chasing games running directly past people's rooms after 10 pm shrieking and shouting.
I admit I haven't done Europe AI for a few years but if you compare this experience to our AI experience in Mexico last year they are worlds apart. I paid exactly the same last year as this year and OMG it is worlds apart.
We did meet some lovely and like minded people and had a good chat and laugh which was the saving grace of the holiday.
Sorry lovely island, lovely climate, lovely beach, interesting town - I would consider a holiday here in a private villa maybe with a group of family and friends but not at the Columbus.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Charlotte B
Dear Mrs "Charlotte B",

Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Pestana Colombos.
However, from your feedback, I also understand that you are disappoint with us.
On this occasion we certainly did not meet your expectations.
I would therefore like to explain that :
1. The buffet restaurant is available for all the resort, for that reason can be expected a volume of Customers at peak times. On opposite end we could establish at check-in a specific timetable for meals (like some resorts in other countries) during all the stay but in our opinion is not so good. Customers should be free to choose on a daily basis at what time they want to have their meals.
2. Please note that the specialize restaurant are theme restaurants and not advertised as á la carte. In the restaurants is available wine, beer, soft drinks other drinks are available at the bars.
3. In the bars we use some pre-mixed cocktails, as other resorts, to serve Customers faster. If a Customer want a cocktail done in a traditional way we do it and will take a few more minutes.
As you mentioned our resort is suitable for families, specially during the time of your stay (school holidays), from your words/comments i believe a adults only hotel or other dates in the season could be better for your style of holidays.
I do hope that you will give us an opportunity to show we do care. Please feel free to use my contacts for future reservations. We will be happy to assist in providing you with a pleasant and comfortable stay.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

In August 2014, this was our second visit to Porto Santo and first stay at the Pestana Colombos. From start to finish our holiday was fabulous, Joao Martins and all his staff are to be hugely congratulated for their hospitality. Our room was spacious, huge beds and great power showers. The food in all restaurants was fresh and varied. The service we received in the Colombos main restaurant was second to none. The animation team more than deserve a mention, they work so hard and never stop smiling, the fire show in particular was amazing. We cannot praise this hotel enough, if you want a relaxing holiday in a beautiful hotel with friendly, courteous staff, within minutes of a glorious golden sandy beach , then this is absolutely the place for you. A big hello to everyone from Andy (the beard) and family . Looking forward to our third visit!

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank thedoctor-supersic
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a fantastic review regarding your recent stay at Pestana Colombos and share it with other travelers.
We were delighted to learn you had a very enjoyable time with us!
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel.
Warm regards,

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My boyfriend and i visited this island June 14 for a week. We upgraded our room to a sea view room and it was the best thing we've ever done. Our room was next to the lift so we got a double balcony, which was huge. The rooms are beautiful, and i have no words for the bathtub! The cleaning staff are great, ensuring the rooms are cleaned every day and towels are changed twice a day. The food is also great although it is advised to book the a la' carte restaurants as soon as you get there, we missed out on the chance to visit the med restaurant, which made us a little bitter.
Access to the beach is so easy with a 5 minute walk and it is the most beautiful beach. There is so little to do on the island but this is what i enjoyed most. With the availability of the hotel next door it really isn't necessary to leave the complex. I do advise to go to the sunset bar next door for a little more atmosphere as the bars in the colombus are a little too relaxed at times. We also hired the little bubble cars which are parked outside the hotel, we drove round the island saw the most breathtaking views. The scary path to the secret beach is a must! The staff are so polite and helpful, we met some lovely people. Overall the holiday was fab and if the world wasn't so big i'd go back!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GB_Xx
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Pestana Colombos.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to join our loyalty program Pestana Priority Guest which is available at our website.
Looking forward to welcome you at Pestana Hotels & Resorts in the near future.

Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Our third consecutive year in Porto Santo but first to Colombos, thanks to Mr Martins upgrading us to a lovely duplex there in place of 2 rooms at Pestana Porto Santo next door. Accommodation was faultless - 2 spacious double bedrooms with their own bathrooms (true POWER showers with endless hot water!), plenty of cupboards/shelving, free safe and quality TVs both up and downstairs (NB - no DVD players if you are allocated outside of main hotel building), air conditioning throughout. Comfy beds for peaceful sleeps - entire resort is relaxing and quiet, immaculately clean (towels (inc beach ones available at Spa) and sheets changed daily).

Management are visible and approachable as their entire staff work long, hard hours to maintain high standards throughout. Reception is manned 24hrs and can;t be more helpful or efficient, and if any of them are around they will happily give you a lift on the motorized buggy between the two hotels (thank you Vitor without a "C"!!).

Sunbeds around the pools were still available until around 11am and even on the couple of occasions we left it for an afternoon, we could pick out one or two unreserved ones and pull them together. Indoor pool nice and warm! Helpful bar staff and delicious to enjoy a freshly made to order pancake or waffle.

Restaurant food is varied (like the little dessert samples - feel so much less naughty than a whole lump of cake) and only time we saw long queues was for fresh eggs/pancakes or fresh juices in the morning. Lunch at the Pool bar is very limited but you can always go inside for a full lunch selection. Nice to have the option of a la carte on the all inclusive- we particularly enjoyed the Japanese (Koi) and Med.

Animation team were friendly and we had no qualms about leaving our 8yr old son and friends to enjoy their activities (water polo, petanque, basketball, football...) whether at Colombos or next door at Pestana Porto Santo (which is much livelier). Though you can;t reserve either the tennis court or ping pong, both are free along with equipment, and we never waited too long to play - ditto with pool tables. Evening entertainment is mainly singing and dancing (get there early for anything else you want to be able to see like the magic show or fire breathing).

The location on a golden, sandy beach (relatively quiet even in August!) is stunning - even the drinks at the beach bar, a windbreaker and parasol are included in the all inclusive (you do have to pay for the beds on the beach, though).

We hired a car for the day (no need for any longer on such a small island) and drove to the rock pools at Calheta (you can walk along the beach - a good half an hour) for delicious prawns and mouthwatering chocolate cake and then up to Quinto do Serrado (another Thomson property if you really want to unwind).

10mins the other way along the beach (hotel also runs a courtesy bus) brings you to the "main(!)" town. Very few shops but enough for souvenirs and the Pingo supermarket.

Our only niggle - the "coffee" from the restaurant machine - but, with nothing too much trouble, we were able to ask for fresh espressos to be made (you don;t get better than that and I suspect we will return for a fourth visit in the not too distant future for a gold wristband!!).

Room Tip: Only rooms in main hotel block have DVD players. And, book carefully if you have any mobility issues...