“A Good Four Star Hotel For Families”

Pestana Colombos All Inclusive
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We stayed as a family of four for two weeks at the Colombos and overall it was a great hotel, with spacious accommodation (if you have booked 2 rooms, there is a chance that you can be upgraded to an apartment like us; you just have to contact the hotel directly in advance). The a la carte restaurants were of a good standard and the buffets were usually good. The majority of the staff are lovely and the animation team do a great job entertaining people with evening shows, daytime activities and the famous flash dance.
To improve they could make fresh cocktails instead of already in a bottle (most of them didn't taste great) and have more bar areas and entertainment in the evening since there wasn't much room in the bar and the Pestana Porto Santo is usually very crowded.
For a family this is a great hotel but I would not recommend for couples as much.

Room Tip: Book the a la carte restaurants before the welcome evening in order to get spaces
4  Thank Chloe P
Martins J, General Manager at Pestana Colombos All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Guest,

Your feedback is very important for us and future Guests.
Therefore your participation has been extremely important and gratifying to us.
It was real pleasure having you as our Guest and to being of service, and we look forward to your next visit and to offering you more ‘Memorable Moments’.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

My family ( husband and 2 teenage daughters) stayed at the Columbus in August. Our accommodation was a 2 bedroom duplex apartment, which was fantastic for us meaning we could get ready together but also space apart. It consisted of a large sitting/dinning area, twin bedroom, double bedroom 1 bathroom, 1shower room, plus an extra wc (3 in toilets in total). The beds were so comfortable I didn't want to get up. We also had wifi and a mini bar. I probably would not recommend for guests with young toddlers because of tiled stairs.
The hotel was lovely and clean and the staff friendly and helpful. We did prefer the buffet at Columbus though you could have to wait for eggs, and juices. The food was good but not a huge variety at the buffet, so was good to try one of the restaurants we did enjoy the Italian. However we did like to venture across to sister hotel next door, for lunch and water polo, but again could be wait at bar for drinks. There is a beautiful beach which was great for a stroll each day.
I would love to return it was a great value, fun and sunny holiday well worth 4/5 .

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with your family.
We are glad to know that your experience at Pestana Colombos was good and we look forward to welcoming you back to Pestana Hotels & Resorts.
Kind regards.

Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

May I firstly say if you see any bad reviews from grumpy moaners just flick past them this place is fantastic. Upon arrival the porters were straight there to take the cases off the bus and taken to our room we were offered a refreshment whilst checking in, which took no time at all. They had kept the buffet resturant open late for us all so we could eat upon arrival and even though it was late the staff still had a smile and were straight at your table with drinks and was the same everytime we ate in there. I have seen people moaning that the food is repetitive....they must of only ever got to the salad bar because there was so so so much choice for different tastes and loads of it. The main restaurant is open 3 times a day and the quality of the food is the same everytime. The waiting staff are great a dirty plate is never left on the table for very long and your glass is never left empty for long. The pool bar is very convenient, Nelson and Paulo seemed to be constantly working from sunrise to sunset but still always had a smile and were always friendly. All the staff are a asset to the hotel and all need commendating. The hotel is immaculate and the rooms are just wow, there is maid service every morning,the bed is turned down every night and the mini bar is refilled every day. We hired a city bubble car which the reception staff kindly sorted out for us and id certainly recommend this its not very expensive and it allows you to visit every single bit of this beautiful island. I cannot pick one fault with this hotel its fantastic,we will definitely be returning to this fantastic place.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Cara M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a fantastic review regarding your recent stay at Pestana Colombos and share it with other travelers.
We were delighted to learn you had a very enjoyable time with us!
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding hotel facilities and staff.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our Hotel.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 30 August 2014

Have recently returned from a two week stay in Porto Santo, we stayed at the Pestana a couple of years back and vowed we would return some day. When we saw the Colombus had opened we decided to try it ,bringing with us our twelve year old daughter and our son ,his wife and our two year old Grandson.Our son is about to turn 30 so it was also to help celebrate his Birthday .
I think the Colombus is a lovely hotel and when we arrived via taxi from the airport we had a lovely warm welcome and our Grandson loved the man balancing the blue ball on his head!
The rooms are fabulous but possibly not to everybodys taste as there is little privacy to be had due to the bathroom being open plan .The bath - wow ! What a treat at the end of the day.The TV was of exceptional quality with DVD built in and you could watch TV while in the bath !
As others have stated ,the food was a bit repetitive and there were queues involved at times, but we didn't find it spoiled our holiday in any way at all .
The bar was rather small for the amount of people it had to cater for , though it was lovely to sit outside at night but this wasn't very well lit and so lacked a little ambience. It would be better if there was an alternate bar outside or elsewhere to cater for all the guests to save the dreaded queue syndrome ! Also it's a shame the pool bar couldn't stay open at night.
At breakfast we noticed it could sometimes get busy and we wandered why they didn't put chairs and tables outside as well ,as there is a huge unused patio area to the side of the resteraunt .
The pools were great and never too busy round them ,although we found the teenagers monopolised the indoor pool , dive bombing and shouting .It didn't bother us but when it was the hottest part of the day it would have been nice to take the little one in there to get him out of the sun .
It was never too difficult to find a sun bed although some people would be out laying there towels at 7am every single day so they could claim the exact same sunbathing spot !Strange .I agree it's nice to be by the pool or on one of those big double beds but I'm not prepared to sit on sentry duty early every morning just for the privilege !
I reccomend the Tukzi.We took some fabulous photos from high up on Porto Santo and our guide was very informative.Also the Pizza place across the road from the hotel was very good and the staff were so polite and helpful.We also loved the Pe n agua resteraunt which is set right on the beach .Weve been there before .Just fabulous.Oh and don't forget to sample Mr Lambecas ice cream in Porto Santo town. The resteraunt next to Lambecas is also good.
Would I return to the Colombus hotel ? Probably not because although we had a wonderful time there are other places to see .Would I return to Porto Santo ? I adore this little Island ,I think I've left a little piece of my heart here.The reasons I love it .Its so unspoilt ,the beach is beautiful and ...quiet.The people are so warm and friendly .Nobody I know has ever heard of it !! Sadly I doubt whether it will stay like this for long ...and if they build any more hotels along the coast it will be ruined and it's unique qualities will be lost forever .

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Grantclan

Dear Customer,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Pestana Colombos, thank you.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive and constructive feedback and we hope to have the opportunity in the near future to welcome you again with your family.
I will share your comments with our team, specially the managers, who I am certain will take some of your feedback to encourage improvements on the Teams.
Pestana Colombos continuously strives to meet your needs and expectation.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

I will start this review with the positives.
1) The rooms are fantastic
2) Weather was great
3) Met some lovely people
4) Staff are friendly (especially the reception and maintenance staff) with a few exceptions
The negatives
1) You have to queue for everything, in the morning 10 mins at least for an omelette, 15 mins at least for a fresh juice. Crepes in the snack bar 20 mins to half an hour which is ridiculous as there are 2 rings on the stove and only one of them is being used at a time. To book the a la carte restaurants you can queue for up to 40 mins only to get to the front of the queue to be told they are fully booked or be offered ridiculous times such as 6:30 or 10:00.
2) The bars - The pool side bar is operated by 3 members of staff, however only 1 barman serves at any one time. This causes queues again however what is slightly more annoying than the queues is the fact that you are served your drink in the thinnest plastic glasses you have ever seen one gust of wind and you have a table of spilt drinks.
3) Evenings - You have 2 options the sunset bar over at the porto santo which is your typical 3* Europe entertainment it is difficult to get a seat and be able to see the entertainment. You can stay at the Colombos which has live music this would be nice if there were more seats, you can go in the court yard however this area is very dark after 9;00pm.
4) Management - the management have a visual presence around the property and are always smiling and acknowledging guests, however they are no where to be seen when areas are busy and guests are queuing. We had an issue with a member of staff scrapping food deposits off the grill and serving them to us in a sandwich while themember of staff laughed about it with his colleague. I was annoyed about this and approached the manager although the manager later apologised his 1st reaction was you are wrong this does not happen here this was his response even though I had the sandwich in front of me. For as long as the management have a blinkered view the changes needed to bring this up to a 5* hotel will not happen.
5) Entertainment staff made very little effort with the guests with the exception of the teenager guests who they were very friendly with.
6) Food was very salty with limited choice. There was show cooking although this was not worth queuing for. At best it was 3* Europe quality.
All in all we had a good holiday although this was mainly due to the people we met.
For the same cost you can go to a true 5* resort or you could save a considerable amount of money and go to a 3* resort and get the same ambiance and food quality minus the queuing.

3  Thank teamjb_plus1

Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your stay at Pestana Colombos, it was a pleasure to meet you.
In the show cooking areas sometimes we have to queue a little if we want the Chef to prepare something freshly cook in front of us because cooking at the moment takes a little more time. Please note that we always have in the hot station buffets food already prepared.
I'm surprise that for the reasons we know, no one (other Customers) gave you the chance to pass to the front of the queue!
Regarding the critical 4, please note that what i mentioned was that i was surprised and that probably there was a misunderstanding because is not normal to have bad behaviours from our staff.
Sincerely i never been in a 3 star hotel for that reason i don't have comparison with those properties.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed for a week in August, and loved the weather and the beach. Our room was cleaned daily, but sometimes not until late afternoon when we wanted to be back in there. The cleaners took away wet towels, used soap etc without replacing them. The toilet facilities in the public areas could do with being checked/replenished more often, it is not 5 star to have no toilet paper, except on the floor! We used the pool etc facilities next door, as more atmosphere and nicer places to sit, the bars and restaurants were nothing special. Trying to get a towel and a shower on check out day was a challenge.

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank bex10001

Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Pestana Colombos.
At Pestana Colombos we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems you mentioned and prevent any future occurrences.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

I have never written a review for a holiday before as I have never really felt the need! Everywhere I have been has always fitted the reviews and my expectations. Unfortunately NOT the Columbos!
On the plus side - weather is great, rooms spacious, comfortable and clean and the staff generally friendly and helpful. HOWEVER it is not 5 star. Restaurant is buffet and I'm sorry just awful. Food is of a 3 star buffet standard plentiful but bland and repetitive. I really tried to enjoy it and embrace the experience but school canteen atmosphere, noisy and far from a relaxing dining experience. Im sorry but i will not queue for an omelete for 10 minutes!! The speciality restaurants are not ALa Carte very disappointing and had to queue to book with some ridiculous times eg 10.15 pm for the oriental which was worse than my local chinease. I asked for a brandy at the end of the meal- oh sorry no can do - only wine there- what a joke!
There are not enough bars, not enough staff drinks are awful- cocktails vile made with pre- mixed syrup to get one freshly mixed is like asking for gold dust in the end stopped trying as the look from the barman and his constant insistence that the syrup in the Magaretas was as good as fresh lime just got tiresome. Plastic glasses- I understand why around the pool BUT really thin disposable plastic glasses even if you sat to drink at the bar. Then after two days came plastic plates to serve the snacks on at bar Not good!
There is very little opportunity to socialise as the bar areas are too small to be able to sit and make conversation and the courtyard although huge is too big - tables spaced - 15 feet apart, pitch dark after 9 pm. The Sunset Bar at the sister hotel is ok if you like a Butlins type atmosphere and experience.
I suppose I should have read between the lines of some of the reviews. For families with young children the pool, rooms and restaurants are ok. I do object to allowing children to run around the corridors on the second and third floors playing chasing games running directly past people's rooms after 10 pm shrieking and shouting.
I admit I haven't done Europe AI for a few years but if you compare this experience to our AI experience in Mexico last year they are worlds apart. I paid exactly the same last year as this year and OMG it is worlds apart.
We did meet some lovely and like minded people and had a good chat and laugh which was the saving grace of the holiday.
Sorry lovely island, lovely climate, lovely beach, interesting town - I would consider a holiday here in a private villa maybe with a group of family and friends but not at the Columbus.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Charlotte B

Dear Mrs "Charlotte B",

Firstly I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Pestana Colombos.
However, from your feedback, I also understand that you are disappoint with us.
On this occasion we certainly did not meet your expectations.
I would therefore like to explain that :
1. The buffet restaurant is available for all the resort, for that reason can be expected a volume of Customers at peak times. On opposite end we could establish at check-in a specific timetable for meals (like some resorts in other countries) during all the stay but in our opinion is not so good. Customers should be free to choose on a daily basis at what time they want to have their meals.
2. Please note that the specialize restaurant are theme restaurants and not advertised as á la carte. In the restaurants is available wine, beer, soft drinks other drinks are available at the bars.
3. In the bars we use some pre-mixed cocktails, as other resorts, to serve Customers faster. If a Customer want a cocktail done in a traditional way we do it and will take a few more minutes.
As you mentioned our resort is suitable for families, specially during the time of your stay (school holidays), from your words/comments i believe a adults only hotel or other dates in the season could be better for your style of holidays.
I do hope that you will give us an opportunity to show we do care. Please feel free to use my contacts for future reservations. We will be happy to assist in providing you with a pleasant and comfortable stay.