“Great location, great staff, rooms....hmmm”

Hotel Porto Santo & SPA
Reviewed 30 November 2010

This hotel has big potential with its fantastic location right on the white beach and a most beautiful spa and gardens. The staff were really friendly, and although I went out of season they made sure all facilities were available.
The bedrooms are a massive dissapointment compared to the hotel. They are dated with dark wood and old fixtures and fittings - think Majorca 1968. The hotel promotes itself well with the infinity pool and spa but I honestly think that the type of guest who would be attracted by these facilities would probably walk out when seeing the rooms. Its not that they are not functional its just they will not be what you expect. Bedrooms should have been gutted and refurbished before spending the vast amount of money that was spent on that spa. Lets hope they spend money on the rooms now and then they will have a superb property.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank mangomark

Reviewed 16 August 2010

Let me point out from the beginning that my review is only for the Hotel and not for the Porto Santo destination. I went to this hotel in the first week of August. I knew this hotel since i was there 10 years ago, and back then i thought it was ok.
Good Things

The best thing for me about this hotel is it´s location, not near the center but near enough to walk to without needing car, the quitness of the surroundings and beeing very close to the beach.
The bad things were several ones
For two days in a row i saw a cockroach walking buy as i was taking breakfast, one day i had to kill one and complained to the manager, i think this is not admissable for a 4 star hotel.
The breakfast buffet is also narrow in variety, the rooms are very old and need improvements. If you stay on the rooms that are not towards the front of the hotel, you will listen all day long, guys passing with supermarket carts loaded of beach towels wich is very nice mainly when you want your 2 year daughter to take a nap.
The pool was improved from last time, however it got even more dangerous from what it was, it is very beatifull however they left pointed marble edges, if someone bangs their head there....
There is no physicall separation between the children pool and the adults poll, and the steps from one to the other are very tall.
The bar near the beach has a perfect location however meals have not the quality for the price they charge and the service is very slow.
Main aspect is that this is a 4 star hotel on the expensive side, and does not provide you the quality for what you pay. My advise is if you want a 4 star hotel book it somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank rteixeira
Reviewed 24 July 2010

We went for a week to have restful holidays in Porto Santo. And the hotel was indeed a very good choice. It’s very good for family holidays, there’s plenty of space for the children to play, the stuff was very kind and pleasant and the SPA is marvelous. We had a very good time, calm, peaceful, the necessary ingredients to have nice holidays after a stressful time work. We certainly will return as soon as possible.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank MBarbosa
Reviewed 6 April 2010

The Hotel is very well placed by the beach and has a nice vegetation full of birds. We don't need music; the birds give us a perfect simphony.
Peaceful atmosphere, a very good SPA - with the terapy of sand - and nice personnel in a good building of only two floors - what can we ask more?
We can breath good air with no polution at all, alias in all the Island. It is really "my hotel" in Porto Santo. Gil Gomes

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Guillmasogo
Reviewed 10 February 2010

This has been one of my most enjoyable stays I have ever had. The food was excellent the people working there were friendly and supportive in every way imaginable.

The best thing, however, was a treatment that I had involving... of all things... SAND! And believe it or not, it worked. Now, several days after my first treatment I feel like a million bucks

I can walk, and JUMP(!) with very little - or no - pain, some thing that was impossible a few days before I left Austria, seeking help.

I found information about this "sand cure" on the internet., I cannot remember where. But it leaped into sight as a new possibility of treatment. Up til now, nothing had helped, the heavy medicine - pills - that I was on had dulled my sences. I was having savage pain attacks, waking me up in the middle of the night - in tears.

In about 6 days I will be going back to Austria. I am afraid that the problems will return when Î live again in Klagenfurt.

But one thing is certain: I am going to come back again in 6 months. Until then, I will miss this hotel, the friendly people working here, and the treatment that has helped so much.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank magmaler
Reviewed 27 October 2009

Booked through Classic Collection a bit on the pricey side but their service was 1st class. Went purely for a quiet relaxing holiday and we certainly got that!
Flew to Funchal (Madeira) on First Choice A320 (Thomson flight). If you are over 5' 9" dont expect much leg room and the early morning 0650 flight with associated airline breakfast does'nt help. The vast majority of the passengers were going to Madeira.
The transfer to Porto Santo was handled by a rep from Blandy travel who was waiting in arrival to hand us our flight tickets. The 15-20 minute flight was with Santa Air Acores British Aerospace ATP turbo prop. This was fine with pick your own seat and more leg room than the A320.
In resort private transfer was handled by Dunes Tourism again waiting on arrival.
The Hotel was Oh so quiet!!!! Even though there were 97 rooms and 5 suites there were only about 15-20 max guests. No rush for sun beds no pushing at the bar. The hotel is old (Built in 1962) and it shows! I actually thought they were going for the early 70's retro look all original wood flooring and fittings. I broke out my flairs and cheese cloth T-shirt. The room had a new lick of paint and great air conditioning (yes there was a hole where it was fitted but can't say it spoiled my holiday). The shower was outstanding, plenty of pressure and always hot (controlled through a tap mixer).
Had concrete slab stairs up from reception to the 1st floor which looked like they had been taken straight from an industrial site. Rooms could benefit from kettle tea and coffee especially as it's supposed to be 4*. Breakfast was fine no real complaints, plenty of cerials, fruit (Tinned or fresh) rolls and coissants (but not as you know them).
The swimming pool was clean with plenty of woodern sun loungers. The sun shades were tired with numorous pins missing. An 'O' level in boy scout knots would come in handy to keep some of them up. The main hotel gardens are lovely with a nice view down to the beach bar. We did'nt use the spa as it was expensive, even though it looks nice inside the main entrance looks like a nuclear bunker! The hotel is advertised as a 4* I think that would be pushing it, probably more like a mid range 3* if that.
Used the bar a couple of times not cheap but not that expensive 330cl beer 1.70 Euros glass of wine 2.30 Euros.
I would say eat and drink out as it's certainly cheaper that the hotel. DONT EXPECT REAL CHEAP FOOD in the restaurants. we went B&B so each night went to a differant place around the Island. Here's a list of some we visited usually for garlic bread or soup starter, main meal sometimes a dessert coffee, bottle of wine and beer or pepsi!
Pe' Na Agua: Great tuna and beef steaks most 48 &53 Euros.
'O' Forno: Was fine had typical meat 'Espatada' dinners with wine 45 Euros.
Calhetas: Right at end of Island, great views during the day. Was told by staff and confirmed by an ex-pat couple that Ronaldo has eaten there so if it's good enought for him! Had the Sea food stew ( Grouper, sea bass and Wrasse) 52 Euros.
Marrakech: In centre of town just up from the church, authentic Morrocan food great decor, the couple have got it looking lovely 38 Euros.
Mar E Sol: Nearest to hotel seafood wreck fish steak, Grouper fillet nice enough but it was only when we got our bill that all the little 'nice' surprises ie 'free' garlic bread, fresh fruit saled and liquors after our meal were actually included on the bill (Needless to say the waiter did'n get a tip)!!!!
If anyone wants to see the receipts feel free to email me and I'll send them on.
For a 330cl beer it varied between 1.10-1.70 Euros a pint will set you back between 3-30-3.50 Euro. Most of the restaurants do daytime snacks, toasties sandwiches etc.
NOW FOR THE BEST PART! The beach was fantastic about 7-8 Km long from Caleta to the harbour the vast majority is spotless and at this time of year empty. No word of a lie over about a 3Km stretch we counted 8 people!
The main town Campo de Baixo is small to say the least but nice enough to stroll around safely at night. 3 or 4 cafe's in the main square 4 shops to buy the presents from ( and YES you can get exactly the same seaside tat here as you could buy at clacton skegness or Bridlington just change the name)!
Went on the 4x4 excusion 23 Euros each does the whole Island in 3-4 Hours. Stops for some great photo oppotunities and Porto Santo Wine / Liquor tasting.
If you want peace tranquility and quiet go at this time of year.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank albee751
Reviewed 18 September 2009

After the viewing the website of the hotel and seeing the pictures we expected 4 star luxury from a hotel which advertises itself as 4 star and charges a commensurate price. Unfortuately we were, to say the least, very disappointed. The exterior of the hotel (especially that leading to the beach) and the pool and spa are very nice. So it was even more of a shock to discover that the rooms are of a very poor standard. While they may have received a new coat of paint recently, they are essentially unchanged (furniture, beds, light fittings etc) from what must have been there since at least the 1970's. Whats more most of the furniture, fittings etc were in a poor state (often chipped or broken, light fittings that twisted on the wall when bumped and more). The restaurant was not a of 4 star standard either, nor was the breakfast (canned fruit etc and the worst coffee we have ever tasted in a hotel). At best this hotel, except for the new additions mentioned above, is of a 2 star standard. Unfortunately the price - in excess of 180 euros - was not at all 2 star and we definitely felf we had been ripped-off.
Note that to use the Spa one had to pay an extra 25 euros per person.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple