“Wonderful Tour”

US$83.60*
Day Trip from Porto to Régua by Train and Return by Boat
Ranked #258 of 1,081 things to do in Northern Portugal
Reviewed 7 January 2014

What a wonderful tour. It was mid-October, the end of the season and one of the best vacations ever. Fantastic hotels, great Port, and wonderful food...not to mention surreal scenery. We visited three to four vineyards a day for four days before ending up at the Port Houses in Porto, a great ending to a great trip. This is a fun holiday for adults and recommend it. We did a private tour and it was really worth it to be on our own and not with the masses. Glad we went the extra mile.

2  Thank tedb548

Reviewed 1 November 2013

As a tour organizer, I've had the best experience of my life, when I've chosen Quinta da Avessada - at Favaios, Douro valley - to receive my guests during a private tour day which included a private harvest and grapes treading...
I was simply astonished with the very well coordinated activities and the amazing capacity of Luis (the winery owner), to tell some good funny stories of Bacus (the Roman God of wine)!
Luis has also an intensive knowledge of wine producing, an adorable kindness and attention to detail which makes any visitor feel at home...
As a result, this tour was a huge success and all my guests were so happy that I highly recommend Quinta da Avessada to any tour operator willing to organize some real exciting wine tours to the Douro valley!
Thank you Luis, for your help on this tour success!
Anuchka.

2  Thank Ana Paula A
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Forget the highway. Drive route N-108, which is narrow, twisty, a bit steep and fully delightful. The road follows the Douro River from Porto to Regúa. Continue on N-222 to Pinhao. You will pass by vinyards and gardens, too many stone walls to count (some rough, some dressed, all lovely), colorful houses, collapsing old houses, and pine, eucalyptus and oak trees. I love to enjoy a long view. There were some Miradouros (turn outs) but not enough for me. The countryside of the Douro Valley sings of ages of cultivation by careful rural folks who love and need their land. It takes about six hours to drive from Porto to Pinhao, so plan to stay overnight and enjoy some port wine.

55  Thank Rakkasan68
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The tour was very different from what the description stated (http://www.viator.com/tours/Porto-and-Northern-Portugal/Douro-Valley-Small-Group-Tour-with-Wine-Tasting-Portuguese-Lunch-and-Optional-River-Cruise/d219-5507DOUROVALLEY/TR?reviewSortBy=-PUBLISHED_TIMESTAMP+D-). Still, Vale Douro is such an amazing place that hardly it would be unpleasant.

We were a short group of 4 people - the other 3 very nice people to be around. The problem was really that, what I paid for, never happened. The river cruise took 40 to 50 min tops. I was expecting it to be a hour long. The "enjoy a traditional lunch accompanied by award-winning wines and a 30-year-old Port" never happened. The lunch was in a small (still charming) tasca (restaurant). But we arrived their so late that most of the dishes in the menu were finished. No Port wine either. No cheese or pastries... none of that. Not even a dessert. You wanna have a dessert in Portugal!

We didn't visit the "Quinta do Portal wine estate". Instead, we went to "Quinta da Foz", much smaller I assume. The lady giving the tour there was quite nice though. At least that.
I booked this tour because I was interested in seeing the green wine country (vinho verde, my favorite) in our way back to Porto, but that didn't happen. At this point, I was not surprised.

Reading my review now and seeing that I had a completely different tour than I paid for, I think I should be reimbursed by Viator. One would imagine that Viator would try to contact me about my experience, but no. They even hide my comment from the tour page. Poor service and compromised customer reviews, that's what Viator provides. Avoid it if you can.

14  Thank Kelly M
Reviewed 13 May 2013

What can I say, from where should I start.... the DOURO is simply the most beautiful wine region in the world! I get there every single year and I keep driving in the same roads, stoping in the same places, taking the same pics... I guess everybody has to like those landscapes, but if you're a wine lover this is just unbelievably beautiful: all this hard work to build terraces in stone, to plant vineyards, to pick the grapes during the harvest... makes it even more impressive. Port wine is only aged in Porto (to be precise in Vila Nova de Gaia) but all the vineyards are located in the Douro. This is the region in which the wine borns! The western part of the Douro wine region is the area of Mesão Frio / Peso da Régua, and you'll find vineyards next to the river until the border with Spain (the heart of the region being the little town of Pinhão).
A few years ago this was very isolated and not very well-known but now there is now some very good places to eat and to stay, the offer is very interesting. From the little B&B in which you can stay for a bargain to the 4 and 5 five stars hotel (such as Romaneira), from the restaurants in which you can eat for nothing to the gastronomic DOC restaurant, you'll find the right place for your budget. Keep in mind that this is not Disneyland, tourism has just started and some villages are still quite isolated (which means authentic!). So if you're looking for staying in your comfort zone you better stay in Porto and do the caves in Gaia. Otherwise, if you feel you want to discover the place in which Port wine (and Douro wine) borns, you're not afraid in driving in the curves and you're looking for authenticity, go to the DOURO!

18  Thank joquinhas