“Delights of Duoro”

Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Delights of Duoro”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We tried to book a one day river cruise up the Duoro River but couldn't because there weren't any. No to be beaten we booked a tour with Living Tours and were not disappointed. Our tour guide was Paula - she was a star! She gave us the very best day touring the Douro Valley. Her commentary throughout the day was first class and the experience is one we will never forget.

Visited March 2014

Toronto
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 130 helpful votes
“Wonderful Tour”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

What a wonderful tour. It was mid-October, the end of the season and one of the best vacations ever. Fantastic hotels, great Port, and wonderful food...not to mention surreal scenery. We visited three to four vineyards a day for four days before ending up at the Port Houses in Porto, a great ending to a great trip. This is a fun holiday for adults and recommend it. We did a private tour and it was really worth it to be on our own and not with the masses. Glad we went the extra mile.

2 Thank tedb548
Porto, Portugal
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Douro Wine Region Tour”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

As a tour organizer, I've had the best experience of my life, when I've chosen Quinta da Avessada - at Favaios, Douro valley - to receive my guests during a private tour day which included a private harvest and grapes treading...
I was simply astonished with the very well coordinated activities and the amazing capacity of Luis (the winery owner), to tell some good funny stories of Bacus (the Roman God of wine)!
Luis has also an intensive knowledge of wine producing, an adorable kindness and attention to detail which makes any visitor feel at home...
As a result, this tour was a huge success and all my guests were so happy that I highly recommend Quinta da Avessada to any tour operator willing to organize some real exciting wine tours to the Douro valley!
Thank you Luis, for your help on this tour success!
Anuchka.

2 Thank Ana Paula A
Alaska
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Thrilling Drive along Portugal's Douro River”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Forget the highway. Drive route N-108, which is narrow, twisty, a bit steep and fully delightful. The road follows the Douro River from Porto to Regúa. Continue on N-222 to Pinhao. You will pass by vinyards and gardens, too many stone walls to count (some rough, some dressed, all lovely), colorful houses, collapsing old houses, and pine, eucalyptus and oak trees. I love to enjoy a long view. There were some Miradouros (turn outs) but not enough for me. The countryside of the Douro Valley sings of ages of cultivation by careful rural folks who love and need their land. It takes about six hours to drive from Porto to Pinhao, so plan to stay overnight and enjoy some port wine.

47 Thank Rakkasan68
Sao Paulo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Avoid taking the tour with Viator & Cooltour Lx! Nothing like the description!”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The tour was very different from what the description stated (http://www.viator.com/tours/Porto-and-Northern-Portugal/Douro-Valley-Small-Group-Tour-with-Wine-Tasting-Portuguese-Lunch-and-Optional-River-Cruise/d219-5507DOUROVALLEY/TR?reviewSortBy=-PUBLISHED_TIMESTAMP+D-). Still, Vale Douro is such an amazing place that hardly it would be unpleasant.

We were a short group of 4 people - the other 3 very nice people to be around. The problem was really that, what I paid for, never happened. The river cruise took 40 to 50 min tops. I was expecting it to be a hour long. The "enjoy a traditional lunch accompanied by award-winning wines and a 30-year-old Port" never happened. The lunch was in a small (still charming) tasca (restaurant). But we arrived their so late that most of the dishes in the menu were finished. No Port wine either. No cheese or pastries... none of that. Not even a dessert. You wanna have a dessert in Portugal!

We didn't visit the "Quinta do Portal wine estate". Instead, we went to "Quinta da Foz", much smaller I assume. The lady giving the tour there was quite nice though. At least that.
I booked this tour because I was interested in seeing the green wine country (vinho verde, my favorite) in our way back to Porto, but that didn't happen. At this point, I was not surprised.

Reading my review now and seeing that I had a completely different tour than I paid for, I think I should be reimbursed by Viator. One would imagine that Viator would try to contact me about my experience, but no. They even hide my comment from the tour page. Poor service and compromised customer reviews, that's what Viator provides. Avoid it if you can.

Visited September 2013