“Simple but great”

Restaurante A Ceia
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: São José de São Lázaro
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

This is a simple place, with traditional Portuguese food, but the food is delicious, the dishes are great and the gigantic, you can't stop eat.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

A Ceia is a neighbourhood restaurant, conveniently for us only five minutes from our hotel, but I would have happily travelled further. We watched television with the owner – evidently a Brazil supporter – as his team were demolished 7-1 by Germany, and we ate simple food perfectly cooked. We were advised that the roast kid might take a while, and so it did, but we nibbled home-made salami and goat’s cheese and drank good vinho verde – white and a more unusual red – while we waited and watched the goals. When it arrived, the meat slid comfortingly off the bone; my wife’s roast bacalhau under a bed of potato purée with a cheese glaze was just right. The bill came to 47€, and they take credit cards. Service by the owner was courteous and attentive, despite his football disappointment – a victory for A Ceia.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I was wary when my wife and I entered this very unprepossessing restaurant which consisted of a bar with some tables with a large screen TV on the wall (tuned to what appeared to be a Portuguese soap opera which commanded the attention of the single server.) The menu is not descriptive and gives only a general idea of the food to come (for example, “fish” or “Portuguese soup”). It is partially handwritten with cross-outs. The staff speak very limited English (or possibly none at all.) However, my wife persuaded me to stay and we’re so glad we did. With some trepidation, I ordered the roast salt cod and my wife had the roast kid. The food was simple, but simply delicious. My wife wanted to order something “typically Portuguese” and the roast kid (cabrito) was falling off the bone with long-roasted and browned oven potatoes. I really cannot figure out how they got so much flavor out of the cod and the roast potatoes. The portions were very large and the price was certainly reasonable. The service turned out to be attentive and it was clear that the staff that run it take enormous pride in what they serve. We spent almost two weeks in Portugal and although we had meals that were more elegant, none were better. If you’re in Braga you gotta go to A Ceia.

2  Thank Rhetor
Reviewed 13 July 2013

they offer nice meal, even half- portions (that are big as normal ones) and the place doesn't look touristy at all :) definitely good place to eat.

Reviewed 25 August 2012

We traveled in Portugal for three weeks and this was the restaurant we liked most. Simple place, very good portuguese food, owners kind and passionate.

1  Thank Nanni65