“Amazing- a must see”

37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Amazing- a must see”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We went this place not really knowing what to expect. WOW! It's fantastic. Worth every Euro (€3) and more. Just wandering around gives you an amazing insight into the town and you are allowed to really walk in and out and on all the ruins. A great place for kids and adults alike, oh and the views are stunning.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank luvthesunmum

Baltimore, Maryland
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Wonderful glimpse into Portugal's ancient past!”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This archeological site was on my list ever since I saw it in one of my tourist guides and it was well worth the trip up there to see it! Not only was it educational and eye opening but the site and the surrounding area was beautiful and peaceful! There were very few people the day I showed up. The little center has a small café in it and I was able to buy a book (it was very cheap, something like 2-3 euros if I remember right). Also the woman working there spoke excellent English and was very friendly!

Like many others, I traveled there by bus and walked the remaining distance up to the site (about a 40 minute walk, uphill). To get there, I stopped at the bus station in Guimaraes and took the Arriva bus 173 (Guimaraes - Taipas - St. Leocadia). The bus ride was about 45 minutes and I was dropped off in a small town. Despite not speaking any Portuguese, I made sure to mention Citania de Briteiros to the bus driver and and he made sure that I got off at the right place. (He pointed me in the right direction to walk as well. And although it was beautiful walk amongst the trees, I was extremely careful as there are no sidewalks up the winding road.) I came back to town, leaving from the same exact bus stop, and took the final bus of the day back to Guimaraes. (The last bus returns at 17:06)

This site turned out to be one of my most memorable and fun experiences in Portugal, and I would say this is definitely a place you don't want to miss if you want to see a piece of Portugal's ancient past!

Visited December 2013
3 Thank StarrWanderer
Barcelona, Spain
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Picturesque hidden gem”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

An easy 20min drive from the centre of Guimaraes and there is free off road parking. Only 3 euro to enter and guide pamphlets are available (and free) in Portuguese, French and English. This is an extraordinarily well preserved site (make sure you wander down to The Bath to see the incredible Pedro Formosa (ornate stone)) but the history of this Iron Age fort town aside it is also a picturesque place for a stroll with wonderful views. I enjoyed wandering through the ruins and letting my imagination run wild. There are also a couple reconstructions of the round stone houses. We were the only people here for the entire 2 hours we spent here!!! I couldn't believe it was so empty on a Saturday! On a nice day take a packed lunch like we did. Lovely place to picnic.
NB if you have mobility problems please be aware this attraction involves lots of steps and lots of walking. There are also no toilets around the site itself so use the facilities before you start the tour!

Visited March 2014
2 Thank reeneebean
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Truly a magical place in the hills outside of Guimaraes. We drove there and it was easy to find with a sat nav. There are signs on the main routes to get there as well.

It site itself is beautiful. Well kept but also allowed to grow and look rustic. It had lots of character and considering the history it is amazing and wonderful.

It costs only 3euro. There are facilities for coffee and snacks. Unsure on toilets. They provide a very good map with information on particular areas on the site. In Portuguese, english or french. There is quite a cool virtual tour you can do at home. I was hoping it would have what it may have looked like back then in more detail but it doesn't. It is just the ruins but check it out with the link below if ya want.

Visited March 2014
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“GO! GO! GO!”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I will prefix this by saying this is not a tourist friendly outing: there aren't many forms of transportation up to Briteiros except for a few Arriva buses (arriva.pt) that will connect you from a nearby stop to Guimaraes and Caldas das Taipas, there is quite a bit of hiking involved, and tourist services are basically non-existant except for a small cafe (no hotels or hostels, nearest one is Caldas das Taipas). That being said this is site is absolutely worth it. Personally I walked there from Guimaraes following mostly the N309. For only 3 euro I got them to open up the museum for me (I was the only visitor so far that week) and had the actual site all to myself for more than 3 hours. The place is astoundingly well preserved and the sheer size of it for a surviving Iron Age Site is impressive. If you are physically fit and don't mind some walking this place is an absolute must!!!

Visited January 2014