“good budget hotel in porto”
Review of Hotel do Norte

Hotel do Norte
Ranked #64 of 108 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Pensao Do Norte is a small nice hotel in the centre of Porto, you can get everywhere by foot (10-15 minutes). Lite metro is just 10 meters from the hotel. Hotel is clean, small rooms but not too much. Anyway it worth the price. Receptionist Ana is very nice and helpful person, she gave us some useful advises, even some Porto historical information, seems she can be a nice city guide as well) We had only one problem, Ana's assistant old Portuguese man who doesn't speak English (usually stayed at night) was so rude! He just says "I don't speak English - ask tomorrow, tomorrow.." he even didn't try to understand what we need - the problem was simple - we just needed one more blanket because we had only one in a double room. So I had to take the blanket and had literally force him to take a look and listen explaining what I need. After that with an angry face he finally gave us an extra blanket...He does not understand that is working in the service and has to be polite and responsive. Complete opposite to Ana.

Room Tip: triple room better than double)
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 August 2012

I searched for a bargain and value punters' reviews. What no one mentioned was the bed bug infestation in room 21. We mentioned being bitten day 2 and they said they would spray. Our own bug hunt and sprays and choke-fest, trying to find some respite failed. Sore, blotchy, irritated skin and wondering what we have to destroy so we don't bring the bugs home! Really took away from our stay in this lovely city.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I stayed at he Pensao for 6 nights.First of all it has a great location! Right round the corner from Rua Santa Catarina the main shopping street..metro stop just up the street..and also cafes..shops..Via Catarina mall,central market ..all very near right at your feet.. plus a supermarket across the street in the mini mall for all your needs.So for me..this location was perfect! Near all the sights as well...you can walk everywhere.
The girls at the reception were great..polite,friendly and helpful giving me all the information I needed.English very well spoken.Great price too!!You can leave your luggage at the reception if you must check out and have a later flights as I did..no problem.
Some points that may be a problem for some..so keep in mind:
The room was clean and basic ....small but fine for myself....did not need much more as far as space...nice view from my little balconey.The bathroom was also small..a bit of a tight squeeze toilet/shower area but again it was fine by me.However it may be an issue for some people.Also its quite noisy from the street so light sleepers may have a problem.I also found it quite noisy at times in the corridor by others going in and out of their rooms..doors slamming etc..and just plain being noisy..There is a gap at bottom of door so basically you hear everything.This is something that did annoy me(was at night) but that"s noisy clients so not much you can do.
Another thing is that there is no elevator..so that means taking up your luggage.Keep this in mind when booking a room..ask for first floor if its gong to be a problem.No breakfast but mini fridge in room which was great and plenty of cafes etc near by.Television is very basic..I think 4 channels..all Portugese..
So if these points do not present a problem for you I feel the Pensao is great!!!I really enjoyed my stay there. Go for it!!!!!!!!Feel free to email me if any questions.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We chose this accomodation at a friend's recommendation and we reserved it for a good price via booking.com. It is a pensao, not a hotel, though it is called both.
It is very well located - metro station nearby, supermarket across the road and walking distance to center. A lot of cafes and shops of all sorts around, including a Hertz rent-a-car office.
Breakfast was not included - they do not provide it, but this is not a problem because you can manage having it somewhere else around, plenty of offers for all tastes. My favorite was Majestic, a historic cafe with personality. They provide a full breakfast and I enjoyed the yogurt with fresh forest fruit, served in an interesting jar, sort of "grandma style".
A real issue is that they don't have an elevator or somebody to help and we had to carry our 2-week, large luggage up to the 4th floor.
Check in was pretty quick. The receptionist, Ana, did not bother to welcome or greet us, but later she proved perceptive and helpful.
The staff helped us with directions and information and had a nice attitude.
We first received a depressingly small room on the last floor, but we managed to change it with one on the 2nd floor the next day. The rooms are simple, clean and functional. All look over the street, which can be pretty noisy. Good wi-fi available on the first floor (not in the rooms).
Recommend you to book on the lowest floor and to ask for a twin, not a double. The double room we first got on the last floor was very small - hardly found a place for two large pieces of luggage, with a literally tiny bathroom - tiny sink, small cabin shower, no space to hang my necessaire and free space just for a standing person. The two twin rooms I saw had a double bed plus a single bed and were larger, bathroom with a normal sink, reasonable size bath tube and a nice room size.
Check out - smooth, paid by card. The reception does not have a luggage room, but we could leave our bags near the reception desk, as everybody does and it was safe. Airport or train station can be easily reached by metro. If you buy a card, keep it, you can recharge it with more travels later. It is a lot cheaper to get a one-day pass than buying individual tickets.
If you want a simple, clean, good located accomodation for a fair price, nut nothing else, go ahead.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ileana23
Reviewed 6 July 2012

The only thing I can say bad about this place is that the wifi isn't strong enough to make it past the first floor of rooms. Otherwise, this is a great value and location to see the amazing city of Oporto! Would absolutely stay here again on a return visit.

(bit of a hike from the Renex bus stop, but very close to Trindade and closer to the train station)

Room Tip: Closer to the ground floor increases chance of wifi in room..
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2012

The Pensao is very good situated. Coming from the aeroport, you take the metro and arrive the hotel without change the train in about half an hour. You leave the train 10 metres nearby the Pensao.
For arrive all the sights it's possible to go by foot, during shopping at rua catarina you can bring the purchases to your room.
The rooms are very very small, there isn't a lift to arrive the 3rd floor with the baggage.
At the evenings and in the morning it is loud outside, the windows are not airtight against the noise. The floor in our room has a hole, so you hear every word from underneath. There wasn't a hairdryer in the tiny bathroom.
The staff is very helpfull, kindly and cheerfull, the room and the bathroom were clean, and the price is unbelievable!

Room Tip: I don't know, if there are rooms at the backside, ask for less noise.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katharina Z
Reviewed 3 May 2012

If you want to visit Oporto, stay in a central place and pay a lower price but with good conditions this is the right place for you... and I swear I'm not getting a penny with the publicity :)

The hotel is located right in Sta Catarina street, in the heart of the city and in the main shopping street. From there you can reach almost any city attraction, if not a metro station it is just outside the door.

It's old but refurbished, the rooms are clean,private bathroom, lcd, internet access in the runners. It does not have breakfast but for the price and with the amount of coffes surrounding the hotel you will not miss it.

Go for it and enjoy this wonderful city full of life and near the river!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends