“Excellent view and excellent food”
Review of D. Tonho

D. Tonho
Ranked #755 of 1,759 Restaurants in Porto
Price range: US$18 - US$35
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 3 October 2013

It opens at 7:30 p.m.which sometimes is inconvenient, but other thant this we loved the restaurant because we could sit outside and have a wonderful view. Although the appetizers are pre-prepared they are good. The food is delicious and we went there twice. The waiter was initially very pushy, but as we said we wanted to have a very calm dinner, enjoying the view and the wine, he just complied and became very nice. A waiter named Antonio was just perfect, very friendly and showing knowledge about the dishes and always ready to serve. We had Tripas ao Porto, Costelão Novilho para dois, Bacalhau grelhado, Cordeiro. Everything just delicious.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

This restaurant was recommended by our hotel but we were slightly worried after reading recent reviews in T A. We arrived at opening time 7.30 pm because that was the only time we could book an outside table. The view was excellent but then again we were worried by the starters which were all pre-prepared and arrived at out table on a tray for us to choose from.
We then chose wine and asked the waiters advise on the choice. On the white he recommended the cheapest on the wine list, a very unusual occurrence, and it was excellent. There was not a decent vegetarian option on the menu but the waiter went off to chat to the chef and came back offering a pasta, which turned out to be well cooked nicely presented and very fresh. The other food options chosen were all very good.

So an excellent restaurant with good view, great food and very good service.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Mis-led by the guide Michelin and an inexperienced hotel receptionist, we booked at this place. The booking would not have been necessary as the restaurant was only half occupied (95% tourists). The service provided by our waiter was a reflection of this type of establishment. Pushy, fast, non-personal. The appetizer selection was sub-standard and nothing worth to mention and the fish was not fresh. At least 1/3 of the wines listed were "out of stock" and the one we chose at 16.- turned out to be a supermercado 2.95. I cannot recommend this restaurant. We had: bread and cheap olive oil 1.95 / 1 x ham 8.50 / 1 x turbot 26.40 / 1 x Hake 16.40 / 1 x Monto Velho 16.- / 1 water 2.75

2  Thank Fuzzyguy
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I went to the restaurant with my boyfriend because we were looking for traditional Portuguese cuisine and we heard about this place from the hotel clerk.
Any way it was a total disappointment. The servers were unfriendly and one of them was downright rude to us.
She refused to translate the names of the dishes saying that they were Portuguese dishes and when we asked about the ingredients she refused to answer and made fun of us. It is the most impolite and rude thing a server has ever done to me.
Needless to say, we paid for our drinks and left right away.
We expected so much more from a well-known as well as an expensive restaurant.

1  Thank Sabine c
Reviewed 12 August 2013

There are two Don Tonho restaurants on the river of Douro. I've been few months ago to the one on the right bank of the river facing the famous Dom Luis bridge. I've ordered fish and a good bottle of Vina Verde. All in all not a bad experience.

I've just been at the other side of the river to the original Don Tonho (which is by the way supposed to be the best one) and ordered octopus with vinagrette and Cod with Chickpeas as starters followed by veal and a standard beef steak (on a Monday we didn't want to take fish)....Starters were full on onions and garlic (not bad for my taste) but the meat......no judgement at all....hard as a show sole, never ever had to leave food on my plate but this time ti was too much! Wine though...not bad.

Service is average so nothing to complain about.

Location is wonderful....we had a nice table outside with a wonderful view on the bridge....we couldn't really complain about it.

Finally my judgement is not positive....in Portugal I had much better food at a lower price. I understand the location but maybe next time in Porto I'll go far away from the Riberia Area for dinner ;-)