“Not ideal for summer stay”

Residencia Pedra Antiga
Ranked #81 of 108 Hotels in Porto
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Incredibly cheap cost for a family (around 55 pounds for 4 persons, one family room, ensuite), breakfast included. The interior decoration made the place warm and welcoming, the place was kept clean and the staff were helpful. However, the lack of air-conditioning did make our stay a lot less comfortable. We had the room on the same floor as the breakfast place and the only window of our room was adjacent to the window of the breakfast room so we had to keep the curtain shut for all time, which just made our room even hotter! It was so hot that we asked the staff for a fan after the first night and it was provided for rest of our stay. We might not have survived the hotness without the fan! Other than this problem with the temperature, we are rather pleased in general.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Karol C
There are newer reviews for Residencia Pedra Antiga

Reviewed 15 July 2013

Apart from the astonishing rudeness of the owner, her husband and the guy who covers for them at night, this place is awful in any possible sense, from any possible different viewpoint. The room I've been assigned was so hot that it was barely possible to breathe in it and I don't come from a cold country, on the contrary, I'm quite used to high temperatures. Anyway, this can happen: the problem is that if I pay for a service and I ask you politely to solve the problem you don't simply ignore me or answer so impolitely that it seems I asked you for an organ!!
I tried to leave (there was no mentioning of any charge, they didn't even ask me for any document, nothing of the sort of things even the cheapest hostels do) but I've been phisically blocked at the way out and I had to pay for 1 night even if I had arrived there like 2 hours before just leaving my luggages. It was impossible to stay in the room: I HAD TO go out for my own sake. Never seen anything like this.
On the record, the hotel is also in a very ugly and dirty road....there is simply nothing good in this place and I have no idea how can it still have costumers.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank francescoschiavon
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We loved our room and this guesthouse ! Yes, top floor without a lift ...so you carry your bags, but that makes this beautifully restored house authentic. The room faced the square with a beautiful tree, but with the windows closed we did not hear any street noise. The room was very quiet generally. Although small, with a small en-suite bathroom, it felt really cosy. The painting, red walls and exposed rock are a wonderful combination. Breakfast is served in a large kitchen area and is ample and self service. Had the weather been warmer it would have been wonderful to use the terrace. The staff were extremely helpful. Perhaps the only negative is, that it is located perhaps 200m after the end of the pedestrian zone and the area can feel a bit dingy, but this is only the impression at first and was not a problem at all. Great place and we certainly recommend it and would go back...especially if travelling on a budget.

Room Tip: Higher floor - facing towards the square ...just lovely !
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ExpostaySA
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I really wasnt expecting much considering how little I paid, however, I was very pleasantly surprised. The room was individually decorated, which I prefer to a standard chain hotel, and the bed reasonably comfortable, I had no trouble sleeping. The bathroom fittings were clean and modern with plenty of hot water. The hotel staff were friendly without being intrusive - they didn't speak much English but then I didn't speak much Portuguese so that's all part of the fun. The breakfast was plentiful, bread, cheese, ham and cake, it was always fresh and filling. The hotel is quite well located, but Porto is very hilly so be prepared for some uphill walking, and as with most cities there are people wandering around at night so pick a route you feel comfortable with if you are a person that feels vulnerable, or get a taxi or bus which are really cheap. The sun terrace garden was a real bonus area to relax in after a days wandering. I would recommend this hotel to people looking for a base to explore as the tube is nearby and there is a tourist bus shop a couple of doors down, when we were there the mix of guests was eclectic, so I learnt to say good morning in several languages, again something I like when I travel. Overall a good hotel for a relaxing long weekend.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor in the room with the nude lady painting, it faced the street but we were no...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Staff is the best thing about this place, who make you feel comfortable and at home from the time you arrive. Decent size room, basic breakfast to start your day, free wifi and a cozy environment. It is a 5-8 minute walk uphill from Bolhao metro station. Porto is a hilly city so make sure you have stretched your legs before coming here and do not forget a pair of good walking shoes. It rains for 270 days in an year so a raincoat will be most handy (umbrellas break due to winds) !

Room Tip: Take lower floors unless you are okay to carry bags up and down narrow stairs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2012

The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from subway on rua Santa catarina,but on opposite direction from busy shopping street.It's slightly uphill from Balhao metro,so if you have heavy luggage or backpack,it,s rather tired.

Balhao station is on direct line to airport and Campanha train station from Lisbon,so it's so easy to arrive here.You have to climb 1 flight of stairs to arrive reception on 2 nd floor.

Room beside the reception I stay is nice,well decorated and warm lighting.Flat screen TV and hanger is nice addition.The bathroom and shower is rather too small ,not comfortable.bed and pillow is good qualityMy room has small outside space for seating.

The hotel is about 10 minutes walk to shopping area of rua caterina and rua aliados that lined with city hall and beautiful building to San bento train station ( another 5 minutes ) Porto is so great ,underrated city.View of river from port area is so great.Star attraction of city can walk in about 10 minutes distance.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Narong S
Reviewed 13 June 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights at the beginning of July. myself and my partner had a double room which was really lovely. a big bed, large room nicely decorated. the bathroom was small but clean. we also had a very small terrace which was a bonus! flat screen tv too....! breakfast was included which was simple (cereal, croissants, tea, coffee, muffins, bread, ham, cheese, jam) and nice. the hostel really is more like a hotel! brilliant location about 10mins walk to Sao Bento and maybe 20mins to the river/Ribeira. a taxi from the river did not cost more than €5. also well located to get to and from the airport as its a 5min walk to Bolhao metro which takes you straight there. highly recommended! also there's a friendly fluffy cat :)

• Stayed: June 2012