Residencia Pedra Antiga
US$351
Agoda.com
US$383
Cancelon
All reviewssan bento train stationsteep stairsplenty of hot waterbudget hotelwardrobecereallisbon
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My friends and I stayed here as it was affordable and relatively central for the location. However, the staff was quite rude. We couldn't speak any Portuguese and they just seemed extremely displeased with that. We never saw a smile from them. The rooms were decent sized for 4 of us and seemed to be cleaned. The bathroom had a constant smell of dampness. They were also very stingy with food for breakfast. Breakfast runs from 8-10am, we got there around 9:30, there were only 3-4 slices of ham and cheese left and they were reluctant to refill any. Avoid if you can, if on a budget, then just keep your expectations low.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank sstyeung
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Incredibly cheap cost for a family (around 55 pounds for 4 persons, one family room, ensuite), breakfast included. The interior decoration made the place warm and welcoming, the place was kept clean and the staff were helpful. However, the lack of air-conditioning did make our stay a lot less comfortable. We had the room on the same floor as the breakfast place and the only window of our room was adjacent to the window of the breakfast room so we had to keep the curtain shut for all time, which just made our room even hotter! It was so hot that we asked the staff for a fan after the first night and it was provided for rest of our stay. We might not have survived the hotness without the fan! Other than this problem with the temperature, we are rather pleased in general.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Karol C
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Apart from the astonishing rudeness of the owner, her husband and the guy who covers for them at night, this place is awful in any possible sense, from any possible different viewpoint. The room I've been assigned was so hot that it was barely possible to breathe in it and I don't come from a cold country, on the contrary, I'm quite used to high temperatures. Anyway, this can happen: the problem is that if I pay for a service and I ask you politely to solve the problem you don't simply ignore me or answer so impolitely that it seems I asked you for an organ!!
I tried to leave (there was no mentioning of any charge, they didn't even ask me for any document, nothing of the sort of things even the cheapest hostels do) but I've been phisically blocked at the way out and I had to pay for 1 night even if I had arrived there like 2 hours before just leaving my luggages. It was impossible to stay in the room: I HAD TO go out for my own sake. Never seen anything like this.
On the record, the hotel is also in a very ugly and dirty road....there is simply nothing good in this place and I have no idea how can it still have costumers.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank francescoschiavon
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We loved our room and this guesthouse ! Yes, top floor without a lift ...so you carry your bags, but that makes this beautifully restored house authentic. The room faced the square with a beautiful tree, but with the windows closed we did not hear any street noise. The room was very quiet generally. Although small, with a small en-suite bathroom, it felt really cosy. The painting, red walls and exposed rock are a wonderful combination. Breakfast is served in a large kitchen area and is ample and self service. Had the weather been warmer it would have been wonderful to use the terrace. The staff were extremely helpful. Perhaps the only negative is, that it is located perhaps 200m after the end of the pedestrian zone and the area can feel a bit dingy, but this is only the impression at first and was not a problem at all. Great place and we certainly recommend it and would go back...especially if travelling on a budget.

Room Tip: Higher floor - facing towards the square ...just lovely !
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ExpostaySA
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I really wasnt expecting much considering how little I paid, however, I was very pleasantly surprised. The room was individually decorated, which I prefer to a standard chain hotel, and the bed reasonably comfortable, I had no trouble sleeping. The bathroom fittings were clean and modern with plenty of hot water. The hotel staff were friendly without being intrusive - they didn't speak much English but then I didn't speak much Portuguese so that's all part of the fun. The breakfast was plentiful, bread, cheese, ham and cake, it was always fresh and filling. The hotel is quite well located, but Porto is very hilly so be prepared for some uphill walking, and as with most cities there are people wandering around at night so pick a route you feel comfortable with if you are a person that feels vulnerable, or get a taxi or bus which are really cheap. The sun terrace garden was a real bonus area to relax in after a days wandering. I would recommend this hotel to people looking for a base to explore as the tube is nearby and there is a tourist bus shop a couple of doors down, when we were there the mix of guests was eclectic, so I learnt to say good morning in several languages, again something I like when I travel. Overall a good hotel for a relaxing long weekend.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor in the room with the nude lady painting, it faced the street but we were not kept awake at night, didnt see any of the other rooms, but equally wasnt woken up by other guests, the breakfast room was one floor down down but again no noise so perhaps top floor is the way to go?
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple