“good”

Reviewed 15 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Reviewed 25 March 2014

perfect located in city center, familiar atmosphere, super clean rooms, decent breakie, nice hospitality and unbeatable value for money. we will definitely book again at pedra antiga if we come back to this beautiful city.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 18 February 2014

It wasn't really what we had expected. It was all a bit shabby and it had poor lighting. We spent one night here. The reception is up a narrow flight of stairs and you can easily walk past the hostel. She offered us a room which was tiny with two single beds and then another room which was nicer with a double bed. The room was nicely decorated but the bathroom wasn't very nice, it was clean.

The beds were very comfortable and we had a great nights sleep. If you can't sleep well, the floor boards do creak when people walk outside your room. The breakfast was ok and we had a lovely man talk to us about Porto. He was the owner.

When we say it wasn't what we had expected, well after our night here we moved to another area of. Porto where we spent €9 each - the hostel was bigger, with bigger cleaner rooms and en suite was really tidy, also a cleaner came in every day, breakfast was included with any amazing lady telling us lots of stories. Quite hard to understand how crazy the difference was.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed for 3 weeks in Dec, while on a language course at a nearby college. I didn't expect much for 20 euro per night for a single room with private bathroom, including breakfast, but was pleasantly surprised. Everything was in excellent condition, and they were doing maintenance while I was there, being low season. TV channels included BBC World and BBC Entertainment. The bed was comfortable, and there was a heater in the room. There is a computer in the breakfast room where you can access the internet for free, with a good connection. Breakfast is basic but very fresh: coffee, tea, orange juice, Portuguese rolls, ham and cheese, butter and jam. Enough to get you started for the day. My room overlooked the street, which wasn't too noisy, and it's not in a bad area at all. It's at the top end of Rua de Santa Catarina, so within easy access of shops, metro and buses. I would definitely stay again if returning to Porto on a budget.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2013

My friends and I stayed here as it was affordable and relatively central for the location. However, the staff was quite rude. We couldn't speak any Portuguese and they just seemed extremely displeased with that. We never saw a smile from them. The rooms were decent sized for 4 of us and seemed to be cleaned. The bathroom had a constant smell of dampness. They were also very stingy with food for breakfast. Breakfast runs from 8-10am, we got there around 9:30, there were only 3-4 slices of ham and cheese left and they were reluctant to refill any. Avoid if you can, if on a budget, then just keep your expectations low.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank sstyeung
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Incredibly cheap cost for a family (around 55 pounds for 4 persons, one family room, ensuite), breakfast included. The interior decoration made the place warm and welcoming, the place was kept clean and the staff were helpful. However, the lack of air-conditioning did make our stay a lot less comfortable. We had the room on the same floor as the breakfast place and the only window of our room was adjacent to the window of the breakfast room so we had to keep the curtain shut for all time, which just made our room even hotter! It was so hot that we asked the staff for a fan after the first night and it was provided for rest of our stay. We might not have survived the hotness without the fan! Other than this problem with the temperature, we are rather pleased in general.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Karol C
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Apart from the astonishing rudeness of the owner, her husband and the guy who covers for them at night, this place is awful in any possible sense, from any possible different viewpoint. The room I've been assigned was so hot that it was barely possible to breathe in it and I don't come from a cold country, on the contrary, I'm quite used to high temperatures. Anyway, this can happen: the problem is that if I pay for a service and I ask you politely to solve the problem you don't simply ignore me or answer so impolitely that it seems I asked you for an organ!!
I tried to leave (there was no mentioning of any charge, they didn't even ask me for any document, nothing of the sort of things even the cheapest hostels do) but I've been phisically blocked at the way out and I had to pay for 1 night even if I had arrived there like 2 hours before just leaving my luggages. It was impossible to stay in the room: I HAD TO go out for my own sake. Never seen anything like this.
On the record, the hotel is also in a very ugly and dirty road....there is simply nothing good in this place and I have no idea how can it still have costumers.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple